Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 29-05-18, 09:53
Global Moderator

Default Re: Win 7 Updates

If you only have the one account then you will be logged in as an admin.

Can you read through what Madeline found had resolved her update service not starting by starting with the Windows update troubleshooter to see what that reports - that may even fix it as it did for me.
Old 29-05-18, 09:56
Established member

To Madeline, both you and Cantrel have advised and guided me several times. Cantrel seemed the one to try first. I was a bit overwhelmed by your posting with a huge list of text in blue to install, scary for someone like myself, who needs to be taken by the hand when outside of Office, Google or Elements.
I may come to you should Cantrel admit defeat, an unlikely occurrence.
Thanks as always to you both and other experts
ericg
Old 29-05-18, 09:59
Global Moderator

Just take your time and read through it - it will save me some typing.
Old 29-05-18, 17:58
Established member

Madeline, I will try your recommendation from 17.12.17, using accessories command prompt
Do I simply highlight all the text in blue then Ctrl/C it then Ctrl/V it into the black Command Prompt window and proceed as instructed
thanks
ericg
Old 29-05-18, 20:13
Global Moderator

Without going back to Madeline's post to check, if you are talking about the following cmds then just right click and drag your mouse over them all to highlight, right click again on any part of them and select Copy.

Right click at the cmd prompt and select Paste where they will auto run except perhaps sometimes for the last one where you will need to press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver
Old 29-05-18, 22:10
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERICG View Post
Madeline, I will try your recommendation from 17.12.17, using accessories command prompt
Do I simply highlight all the text in blue then Ctrl/C it then Ctrl/V it into the black Command Prompt window and proceed as instructed
thanks
ericg
It doesn't need to be blue, just highlight the text then copy and paste it into the Command Prompt window as you mentioned above. In the other thread I said
Quote:
There's no need to press 'Enter' as Command Prompt will complete the process automatically. When it's finished, close Command Prompt and restart the PC. This worked for me and Windows Update was running properly.
Do that, but bear in mind what Tom said about the last entry and press Enter if necessary at that point. If you haven't already tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter, it might be worth trying that first. A link for it:

Windows Update Troubleshooter

I'm sorry that my use of blue in the other thread was confusing, I sometimes use colours to set things apart without meaning that others should use it. If it was necessary I'd mention it although I've never come across the use of a particular colour being essential.

I feel bad about post #19. My only feeble excuse is that last night, at around 3.30am, I was hot, tired, couldn't sleep and was a bit cranky (no change there then)! My apologies to you both.
Old 30-05-18, 10:51
Established member

Thumbs up Re: Win 7 Updates

Hi Madeline and Cantrel, success at last even though I don't understand how or why. I tried Madeline's updater troubleshooter twice without success. It identified but could not fix fault. I followed a link from the troubleshooter window seeking further information which led me to a M/s forum with my problem prominent. Several solutions were offered but I tried the easiest one first which was claimed to have succeeded several times.
This was to change the drop down menu in the updater section from "Automatically download updates" to "Never check for Updates (not recommended)" . I did this and when I tried to check for updates I got a positive response. 17 Updates were downloaded, installed and configured, taking about an hour. It is suggested that I should change back to "Automatically download updates" and all will be well in the future. Your suggestions and guidance did not lead directly to the answer, but I have learnt a lot about such as "Command Prompt"
Thanks to both of you for all of your ever patient help and guidance to someone who simply wants to use a PC safely without delving into its inner workings
ericg
Old 30-05-18, 10:55
Global Moderator

Sounds like a result
Old 30-05-18, 20:36
Top contributor

That's excellent news ericg, congratulations!