Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Tablets, smartphones and e-readers

Old 28-03-18, 08:10
Highly valued member

Default Can you ChromeCast from an ipad?

I have a disabled friend who uses Apple equipment.(phone and tablet). I am trying to set up on her fairly old, non /smart, Samsung, You Tube, etc, so it can be done from her wheel chair (she is unable to walk).Her current tv only has free view and I am trying to increase her entertainment programmes,etc, for as little as possible without her going the whole hog and buying a new set.

However I have no knowledge of ipads or apps for same, I wondered if a Chromecast can be used with an ipad or there might be some other app on ipad that could be used to obtain these extras for her.
Any advice please.

fosseway
Old 28-03-18, 08:26
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Can you ChromeCast from an ipad?

As far as I am aware if you can install the Chrome Browser then you can "cast" to a television, for instance. I do have a Chromecast device and that's how it works on my computer. But my computer is not an Apple. Have to looked on the Apple store to see if there is an app for using the Chromecast device?
Old 31-03-18, 21:27
Highly valued member

If the TV is old it won't be able to receive a screen cast signal without a receiver. It must have an HDMI socket for the receiver. The most commonly known receiver is Chromecast. Although most Android TV sticks will receive a screen cast signal as standard. There is also Mirror Cast which is a screen cast copy (or perhaps more appropriate to say that Chrome Cast is a copy of Mirror Cast which I think was around first)

I tried Chrome Cast when they first came out just out of curiosity. I tried it on a really old (I mean really old) flat screen TV probably one of the first flat screens with very poor resolution. The casting worked but there was a bit of a hue around objects in the image but that was the TV resolution; it worked fine on a more modern TV, but I found it cumbersome to use plus if you tried to send a recorded film or streamed live TV the audio was so far out of sync it wasn't watchable using Chromecast.

As far as I know the iPads come with a screen casting app. Once the receiver is plugged into the TV the HDMI source has been selected and the devices start up screen is visible, you just fire up the iPad's casting App and connect pretty much like you would to a router. Usually the instructions are displayed on the receivers TV start up screen.
Old 01-04-18, 09:58
Highly valued member

Thanks for the info

fosseway
Old 01-04-18, 13:45
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
If the TV is old it won't be able to receive a screen cast signal without a receiver. It must have an HDMI socket for the receiver. The most commonly known receiver is Chromecast. Although most Android TV sticks will receive a screen cast signal as standard. There is also Mirror Cast which is a screen cast copy (or perhaps more appropriate to say that Chrome Cast is a copy of Mirror Cast which I think was around first)

I tried Chrome Cast when they first came out just out of curiosity. I tried it on a really old (I mean really old) flat screen TV probably one of the first flat screens with very poor resolution. The casting worked but there was a bit of a hue around objects in the image but that was the TV resolution; it worked fine on a more modern TV, but I found it cumbersome to use plus if you tried to send a recorded film or streamed live TV the audio was so far out of sync it wasn't watchable using Chromecast.

As far as I know the iPads come with a screen casting app. Once the receiver is plugged into the TV the HDMI source has been selected and the devices start up screen is visible, you just fire up the iPad's casting App and connect pretty much like you would to a router. Usually the instructions are displayed on the receivers TV start up screen.
Just to counter some of this. We have 4 TVs in our house, three of them have no connection at all apart from the Chromecast. We use a variety of apps to cast from like Iplayer, YouTube, Netflix and Terranium. We have no problems with quality or sound sync. Occasional buffering but otherwise well worth the investment.
Two of the TV's are with teenagers, well used with no complaints
Old 01-04-18, 21:19
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Cowby View Post
Just to counter some of this. We have 4 TVs in our house, three of them have no connection at all apart from the Chromecast. We use a variety of apps to cast from like Iplayer, YouTube, Netflix and Terranium. We have no problems with quality or sound sync. Occasional buffering but otherwise well worth the investment.
As nobody had added to Pete i's post for several days just giving FWF my experience which as stated was the very first Chrome cast on a very old flat screen TV. No doubt everything has moved on but at that time there was a lot on the net about the Audio being out of sync.

https://www.androidcentral.com/chrom...heres-your-fix

At the time this fix wasn't available and even now it is only available on some Android as far as I know. I wouldn't know about iPad
Old 01-04-18, 21:29
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
As nobody had added to Pete i's post for several days just giving FWF my experience which as stated was the very first Chrome cast on a very old flat screen TV. No doubt everything has moved on but at that time there was a lot on the net about the Audio being out of sync.

At the time this fix wasn't available and even now it is only available on some Android as far as I know. Although I wouldn't about iPad
yeah and i gave my experience, deleted
Old 01-04-18, 22:37
Highly valued member

Old 02-04-18, 10:21
Highly valued member

Thanks again guys, Peace be with you.

fosseway.
Old 26-04-18, 10:18
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_Cowby View Post
Yeah! and just to counter some of this you can get audio lag with Chromecast depending on the devices used, deleted!