Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 01-02-18, 17:07
Global Moderator

Default Re: Yoga 2 11 note/netbook battery

I didn't know that about Kodi with not using it but it does sound like you've found the cause.
Old 01-02-18, 18:01
Highly valued member

Yes with a bit of luck perhaps so.

Trouble is when I booted up just to see where the battery was a Micro-soft security notification popped up telling me there was an important security update which needed to be installed

Has the curse Jann Horn come to visit me. After your little episode I just powered down and put in back in its bag. Don't need it yet a while so I'll let the dust settle good and proper before I decide which way to jump.

Besides I have to see how the other 'To be or not to be' thread pans out before making a decision
Old 01-02-18, 21:18
Global Moderator

I haven't had any problems with the Win 10 updates on either the Intel or AMD machine.

My problem was with the one they released for Win 7 which gave me a BSOD for which MS still have to re-release when they get it right.
Old 01-02-18, 23:03
Highly valued member

The Yoga is 8.1 of course which, rightly or wrongly I think of as a sort of Hybrid of 7 and 10.

It seems to me it leans more to 7 than 10 but it is Intel so I'll no doubt bite the bullet soon enough but as I won't need it until the end of Feb I'll give it another week or so to see if anybody starts screaming.
Old 02-03-18, 08:23
Highly valued member

So the plot thickens

There has been a noticeable improvement since uninstalling Kodi 17 but the problem persists albeit more intermittently and less critically. I feel that if indeed Kodi was in some part responsible it was not the prime culprit and may even have been woken up by some other influence. If I can find that influence I will try the latest Kodi again because I have used Kodi for years without any issues.

Because I use this Yoga Thinkpad when away, at home I was mainly guessing at what it might be but now being away and using the Yoga all the time I am better fixed to monitor things.

So I noticed that Skydrive/Onedrive was sometimes responsible for up to 90% of battery discharge and I don't use it most of the time but it is active and I have on the odd occasion dropped a file or two in. There is no way to actually uninstall Skydrive that I can see.

To completely disable it, it seems the only way is to first shut everything down and then close your MS mobile Account sign on, in so doing reverting to a local machine account only. As I am not at home and this is my only machine here I decided it wasn't a good idea to delete my MS account password until I got home with a normal landline and other internet access to hand.

Wednesday when I booted the Yoga. .. Skydrive was again showing 88% of battery use but I felt pretty sure it had been something like 60% when I shut down on Tuesday. So I went into settings and unsynced everything and anything I could find in Skydrive without actually deleting my MS mobile account. I also deleted the few uploaded files, finishing by deleting the Skydrive default document folders. So now Skydrive is just a blank drive with all syncing switched off.

When I shut the Yoga down yesterday I was pleased to see that Skydrive had drooped right to the bottom of the battery usage list with a 0% at the side of it.

So this morning I boot up and immediately notice that the battery charge has lost 20%

Going straight into the battery usage, find that with the Yoga in the shutdown logged off state Skydrive, despite being fully unsynced has gone from 0% at the bottom of the list to 90% of battery usage at the top of the list overnight. ...Aaagh!

Is there any safe way to kill Skydrive just to prove it one way or the other without shutting down my MS mobile account.