Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 19-05-17, 18:50

Default Windows 10 Updates never complete

For the past three months or so, I have continually tried to run Windows 10 Update; every time it reaches 100% and immediately the message comes up - "We couldn't complete the update - undoing changes - don't turn off computer" Is there any SIMPLE thing I can do to get all the updates installed? Many thanks for any help you can give me. I should say that I checked some items on Google but was completely confused by the very technical suggestions! This also happens every time I close my computer down the Update programme starts and finishes after about 15 - 20 minutes with same message - this means it takes ages for boot-up to finish.
Old 19-05-17, 21:14
Global Moderator

Default Re: Windows 10 Updates never complete

It's possible it could be your antivirus program if using a 3rd party one.

An error code could help to determine the cause, although not sure if Event Viewer would have one but reliability history could.

Go Start - start to type reliability and press enter when View reliability history comes up.

It may have the fails listed in there and when you click on view tech details, more info will pop up at the top where it should include an error code.

So what version are you on ?

Go Start - type winver and press enter then let us know.

Manually updating can usually resolve update problems but it depends upon what is baulking yours.
Old 20-05-17, 10:59

I tried the reliability course but there was nothing showing on it under either days or weeks. The version of Windows 10 is 1607 and the build is 14393.1066. What I cannot understand is that for the last year or so everything updated automatically and it is only during the last couple of months that it will not complete. I should mention that I am not very computer literate or technically minder but I have a good basic understanding - just please do not get too technical. Thanks for your help
Old 20-05-17, 11:57
Top contributor

According the Update History, the CU/1703 upgrade aside, there's only the May update
(KB4019472) outstanding from your version/build number ( 1607/14393.1066 >

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000825

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4019472

It might be worthwhile trying the stand-alone for that update from the Windows Catalogue >

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....px?q=KB4019472
Old 20-05-17, 12:05
Highly valued member

Tnorman,
Don't know if this helps as I have only just had the latest Issue of CA arrive and read it.
It is in "Best Free Software" section of Issue 502 out on the 24th May.
The software is called "Windows 10 ISO Download Tool".
According to the article, it is completly independant of Microsoft and bypasses Microsoft restrictions. It takes you straight to the download links for every Windows 10 edition, including Windows 10N and Creators Update and Anniversary Update.

There is to much info to type here, but there are screen shots to help, if it seems to be what you need to "fix" your download problems. Maybe worth a 1.99 mag buy and there are some other good articles in this particlar edition.

Have a look at www.snipca.com/24284 for more details.

If you are not already aware, Snipca is CA's method of getting you direct to the correct website for the product and pure download.

I myself am on 1066 version and waiting for the Creator Update but not rushing in to get it.

Hope this helps you
Old 20-05-17, 13:08
Enthusiastic contributor

"I should mention that I am not very computer literate or technically minder but I have a good basic understanding - just please do not get too technical."
Unfortunately this is a problem, as you need to supply a load of technical info to deal with this.
At the moment it's close to zero what you have supplied.

It would take us a awful lot of time to get that technical info from you.

Just try one thing for starters (I'm testing the waters you might say...)
Go to the MS Store and update your Apps.
That will generate some events for the Reliability and Problem history. The updates will be in there as Informational Events, the blue (i) circle.
Old 20-05-17, 13:24
Global Moderator

Don't worry about not being too computer literate - that will come with time and anything that is asked of you, you will be given the instructions in how to do that - at least you will from me.

Were there any updates showing for the apps in there - I tend to get those what seems like all of the time.

Which antivirus program are you using ?
Old 20-05-17, 15:17

Unhappy Re: Windows 10 Updates never complete

First of all - Hi Stewart40 - I downloaded one update (windows10.0-kb4019472-x86_delta_41ac83f39210a06fea3e06b87bcdce522da8bfd5 .msu) and it installed completely - then rebooted and again went up to 100%. Then 'We couldn't complete the update etc' and then went into a loop - after 35 minutes in total of rebooting over and over I eventually got back into my computer.
I will now try the Computeractive programme (thank you fossewayfellow) and see if that is of any help. To be honest I am near the end of my tether and am wondering about a pint of petrol and a match!!!
I will keep you all posted as to my actions again my sincere thanks to you all
Old 20-05-17, 15:40
Enthusiastic contributor

kb4019472
It did not install completely, some of that is done after the re-start.

I would try and find a PC servicing person near you.
Old 20-05-17, 17:59
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossewayfella View Post
......I myself am on 1066 version and waiting for the Creator Update but not rushing in to get it.
Same here but it would be interesting to know how many on these forums who use Windows 10 are still waiting for the CU?