Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 12-06-13, 20:29
Global Moderator

Default Re: Creating a Recovery disk for Windows 8 is this the right way

I thought you had already created Acer's recovery media in the form of the Factory Default Backup.

A Win 8 or any other ISO is just that and will not include the drivers for your computer.

I've already linked the methods how it is possible to create a Win 8 install disk, which Acer may or not assist you with as their script may only be to create the external media to factory reset, which you seem to have already done.

I've also been unable to find a manual online for your laptop.
Old 13-06-13, 21:21
Enthusiastic contributor

I thought you had already created Acer's recovery media in the form of the Factory Default Backup.

Cantrel, I have created a Factory Default Backup on to an external hard drive. But I was told that I should create a Windows 8 backup disk as a separate file because the Factory Default Backup lumps all the files together as one file so if I did need to do a Windows 8 re-instal, I would re-instal everything. As I didn't have a clue if this was right or not I thought I should create a backup disc. Received an email saying how to create a backup to my USB flash drive - which surely is the same thing that I have done already created a backup to an external hard drive? I am abit confused now.
Old 13-06-13, 22:26
Global Moderator

No, that wouldn't be the same because of the space required.

How much space has the Default Backup taken up on the external HDD ?

Could you copy the instructions that they gave you - Oh! Win7 is so much simpler - at least you can download an ISO for that should you need to reinstall/repair.

Do you have the user manual installed on your computer - it should be in the Acer folder in All Progs and should give you the instructions in how to recover the system either with a recovery disk or a full factory reset using the Default Backup or via Alt+10 - in your case - it's normally F8 with most other makes of computer.

I had occasion to use Toshiba's equivalent of your default backup to factory reset from disks as the Repair your Computer option had vanished from the F8 options where you would normally factory reset using the HDD reset option from the Recovery Partition and this is why you no longer get install disks supplied with machines.

This is the simple choice that I have other than the Toshiba Recovery Media Creator which is an external means of restoring to factory defaults and I think their suggestion of creating a back up onto an USB would be the same as the Create a system repair disk on mine.

The Toshiba Recovery Media Creator took two disks whereas the system repair disk is only one.

Attachment 1558

Last edited by Cantrel; 15-06-14 at 20:48.
Old 14-06-13, 09:06
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Do you have the user manual installed on your computer - it should be in the Acer folder in All Progs and should give you the instructions in how to recover the system either with a recovery disk or a full factory reset using the Default Backup or via Alt+10 - in your case - it's normally F8 with most other makes of computer.
Cantrel, I have followed the instructions from my computer's user manual to create a Factory Default Backup to an external hard drive. I am confused as to what is the right/correct way to backup Windows 8, when the laptop retailer told me to create a Windows 8 backup disk; the computer's user manual advises to create a Factory Default Backup to an external hard drive and then the computer's support has advised to create a backup to a USB flash drive or a larger USB Driver - is a larger USB Drive an external hard drive then?
Old 14-06-13, 13:25
Global Moderator

When you go Control Panel and select Back up your computer, do you get anything like the shot I'd posted in my last thread ?

Any OEM back up is designed to take the computer back to default which will include all of the applicable drivers and pre-installed software.

Creating a purely Win 8 install disk using the previous links and reinstalling with that would overwrite your Windows (C) and then you would have to go looking for the drivers and you would lose any pre-installed programs that you may have been using.

For both my Toshiba laptops, I've created system repair discs, the Toshiba Recovery Media onto discs - which is the equivalent of the Factory Default that you've backed up onto an external HD and I create monthly system images which I load onto an external HD.

I've created a Win 7 ISO bootable disc that I've used for Startup Repair, defaulting the registry and running an offbootdir/offwindir sfc /scannow from what would be an uncorrupted source.

With pre-built (OEM) computers, additional repair options are the only practical use for ISO install discs, unless your recovery partition has been wiped out and you need to reformat your HDD to reinstall the OS when system images or backups haven't been created - it's surprising how many people fail to make any system images etc.

Perhaps Acer are suggesting creating the system repair disc onto an USB may be because they are more durable and not subject to the same damage that can occur to a disc.

Did the e-mail give you step by step instructions for how to create this backup onto an USB ?

A couple of other things that you could do are to make a note of the Windows product key on the COA sticker as they can become worn and the other is to download Belarc Advisor and that will give you Acer's generic Windows key.

In the unfortunate circumstances should you need to reinstall the OS with with an ISO, it may not accept the COA sticker key, but will activate with the generic one listed in Belarc.
Old 14-06-13, 13:58
Enthusiastic contributor

Perhaps Acer are suggesting creating the system repair disc onto an USB may be because they are more durable and not subject to the same damage that can occur to a disc.

One of the reasons I got this laptop was because it had a dvd drive. So could that be the reason that you would use a flash drive to backup then? because so many laptops don't have a dvd drive.

Did the e-mail give you step by step instructions for how to create this backup onto an USB ?

Yes, the instructions are the same as those given in the computer user's manual for creating a factory default backup on an external drive.

Cantrel, can I just ask you one more thing please? in the email it says to use a 16 GB USB flash drive or larger USB drive. I have a USB stick 32gb can I use that? - are USB sticks and USB flash drives the same thing? Seems that there is a very mixed opinion as to whether they are or not.
Old 14-06-13, 14:31
Global Moderator

Yes, USB sticks and USB Flash drives are the same thing.

I think the reason for using an USB is for the reason I've stated in that discs aren't as durable as Flash drives and can be easily damaged with just a scratch and if that is the only full back up that you have....

The 32GB should be fine, it's just that is all you should put on it and then keep it safe - you can use the external HD for the system images as the new one will overwrite the previous one - just be sure everything is running fine before you overwrite it.

Do you have the same option as I have to create a system repair disc rather than the full back up ?

I used to create my system images onto DVDs, but they were starting to stack up and the older ones became obsolete and eventually ended up in the bin - hence buying an external HD.
Old 14-06-13, 19:01
Enthusiastic contributor

Do you have the same option as I have to create a system repair disc rather than the full back up ?

TBH, I don't really know - I am still getting used to Windows 8 and the touch screen
Old 14-06-13, 20:25
Global Moderator

You may find this article of interest http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-recovery/7464 in that as it shows you how to create a system image in Win 8, it also shows the option in the left pane (illustrations) to opt to create a system repair disk - pretty much as there is in Win 7.

It looks like the back up system in Win 8 is called Windows 7 File Recovery which at first glance could be misleading - I had to scroll back to the top of the article to ensure I was reading steps applicable to Win 8.

Click on the blue reference links in the article and that will take you to other blogs which in turn have other links.

Hope these will help as quite a number of people have had problems navigating Win 8 and its SP1 may simplify some procedures - or not.

For myself, I can't ever envisage upgrading or buying a laptop with Win 8.
Old 14-06-13, 21:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
You may find this article of interest http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...-recovery/7464 in that as it shows you how to create a system image in Win 8, it also shows the option in the left pane (illustrations) to opt to create a system repair disk - pretty much as there is in Win 7.

It looks like the back up system in Win 8 is called Windows 7 File Recovery which at first glance could be misleading - I had to scroll back to the top of the article to ensure I was reading steps applicable to Win 8.

Click on the blue reference links in the article and that will take you to other blogs which in turn have other links.

Hope these will help as quite a number of people have had problems navigating Win 8 and its SP1 may simplify some procedures - or not.

For myself, I can't ever envisage upgrading or buying a laptop with Win 8.
Thanks for the link, Cantrel. Hmm, I can understand what you mean about not buying or upgrading to a laptop with Windows 8, because I am still using xp on my desktop. I knew that come next year I would have to upgrade. The thing is when I am using the desktop now I keep touching the screen and when I am using the laptop I keep trying to use the desktop's mouse. !!!!!!