Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Notices

Old 17-10-18, 09:58
Highly valued member

Default Question regarding Seagate Expansion Desk top drive

A while ago I bought a Seagate 2T, and whilst my Computer guru was putting my computer right after a download of a well known but tampered with programme, had made it useless, he set it up for me and saved all of my files to the Seagate.
So far so good. Having not used one before I did some read up, and I believe I asked for help on this forum. The general advise was not to leave it on and connected into the system, but to do a monthly connection to update, then disconnect again.
Again OK, but I may be being Mr Thicko from Thickshire here, but just to give me peace of mind please bear with me. When I connect and the little blue light comes on, is it then downloading all the new stuff to the Seagate, or do I have to do anything else before I disconnect until next month?
Also how do I check what the content of the Seagate is just to ensure that it is working ok? I'd hate to have a problem and then find out there is nothing there except the original stuff my guru downloaded for me.
Thanks.

Thicko from Thickshire AKA fosseway)
Old 17-10-18, 10:12
Global Moderator

Default Re: Question regarding Seagate Expansion Desk top drive

I use Seagate external drives for my Macrium system images and when you plug one in, the light does come on so you know that it is powered up.

You would then open Windows Explorer - This PC (Win 10) where you would see its drive listed.

Depending upon how your files are backed up onto it - folders etc. you would double click on its drive to see those and then use drag and drop to copy your files to their respective folders.

When done, you would need to use the safe to eject by clicking on the upward arrow in the taskbar and then on the HDD symbol where you will see the option to eject the Seagate to click on.

You need to use this option for all ext. drives that are formatted to NTFS but it's also a safe guard to prevent the HDD being removed should there still be stuff being written onto it would then become corrupt.
Old 17-10-18, 10:22
Highly valued member

Cantrel.

Thanks for the info, looks like there might not be any new stuff on there then. I'll have to sort it.

fosseway

Addendum. I don't seem to have Windows Explorer. Is that peculiar to your set up?
Old 17-10-18, 10:26
Passionate member

I have several external drives inc a Seagate 3Tb, as regards leaving it turned on, I leave mine running all the time I have the PC on, in fact I normally leave the PC and ext drive running 24/7, when I am not using the PC I put it to sleep and the drive goes to sleep with it.

You might save a little energy by turning it off but most modern external drives do have built in electronics that put them to sleep when they are not being used.

IMHO the worst thing you can do with electronic/electrical equipment is keep turning it on and off.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 17-10-18, 11:03
Passionate member

Quote:
I don't seem to have Windows Explorer. Is that peculiar to your set up?
No - if your using Windows 10, it is called File Explorer

10 Ways to open File Explorer in Windows 10

https://simplyfixit.co.uk/open-file-...er-windows-10/
Old 17-10-18, 11:07
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossewayfella View Post
Cantrel.

Thanks for the info, looks like there might not be any new stuff on there then. I'll have to sort it.

fosseway

Addendum. I don't seem to have Windows Explorer. Is that peculiar to your set up?
I still call it Windows Explorer.

Look in your taskbar - normally on the left, you will see a yellow folder which will open to Windows Explorer when clicked on.

You can also press the Windows key together with r and type explorer.exe in the Run box then press enter to open to it.

@ scrimper - The reason for not keeping an ext. drive connected is to prevent it from becoming infected should you inadvertently pick up an infection which would also compromise your back up.
Old 17-10-18, 13:35
Established member

I use a Seagate external drive for my backups, and the process is quite simple:-

Download and install SyncToy from the Microsoft website.

Run the program, which will ask you to Create a New Folder Pair. To do this, identify the folder(s) on your hard drive that you wish to back up. Then identify where you want to back them up to on the external drive. (You may well want to create a folder on the external drive, called something like "Echo").

After identifying the drives above, the next step is to choose the type of backup, either Synchronise. Echo, or Contribute; there is a short explanation of what each type does, but I have found the best is "Echo". What Echo does is compare what is on your HDD with what is on your external drive, and make the external drive contents the same as the HDD contents. This has worked well for me for several years, and works on both Win 7 and Win 10.

You can then disconnect the external drive until you next decide you want to do a backup.

Much simpler than all the other backup programs, which is why I like it so much!

"The fool's not the one with all the questions
It's someone who believes they have the answers"
(Vasi Vallis, Henrik Iversen)
Old 17-10-18, 14:19
Highly valued member

I use Seagate Expansion drives as well as others.
I prefer to manually backup my files by copying and pasting. I have more control about what is backed up and when it is backed up.

I always keep a backup drive (internal or external) connected and use additional externals which are only connected occasionally and used for additional backup.
Old 17-10-18, 16:40
Global Moderator

It has been known for an ext. drive when connected all of the time to cause a no boot situation because it confuses Windows into looking for an OS on it.

If all of you who keep an ext. HDD connected suffer such a problem, then disconnect the ext. HDD and try again.
Old 17-10-18, 18:46
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
It has been known for an ext. drive when connected all of the time to cause a no boot situation
I've only had that happen on occasion with Western Digital My Book drives.