Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Computer components and accessories

Old 14-10-17, 08:17
Established member

Default Re: Canon 3150 Printer fault.

Cartridges: The black is a refill and the colour is a new Canon cartridge. The black looks okay to me. The colours are reaching the page but it does seem something is causing horizontal streaks to be missed.

Printouts: Although the various colours have improved with each check, I would say they're not quite there yet. I still see white streaks where the colour hasn't reached the page however some colours are better defined than others.
Old 14-10-17, 08:39
Global Moderator

Could the colour cartridge be defective ?

While the cartridges on my Epsom printer are individual, I always give them a good shake before fitting them.
Old 14-10-17, 08:48
Enthusiastic contributor

Sounds as though some of the print head nozzles are very blocked. Best advice is just keep cleaning leaving several hours between each. It might just eventually soften the solidified ink. The Cannon printers I have had in the past have had a separate print head which is reasonably easy to remove and replace however it is usually far too expensive to buy a new one so the only alternative is to remove the print head and let it soak in print head cleaning solution for a couple of days or look on eBay for a head cleaning kit.

Another way is to obtain some lint free material or use kitchen roll, soak it in head cleaning fluid then insert it on the printing area below the head and then physically pull the head over it . Leave it for 24 hours and see if it has cured the problem.
Old 16-10-17, 19:40
Established member

The cartridges move side to side over a fixed base (heads?) so I don't believe I am able to pull the base (heads?) over lint to clean them. Having removed the cartridges, the top of the base shows a little ink around two pads, so would cleaning the top of the base/pads with lint likely solve the problem?
Old 17-10-17, 11:16
Enthusiastic contributor

No.

The metal rails (base) is not the print head. The print head is the part with all the microscopic jet holes through which fine droplets of ink are ejected.

If you remove the cartridges then the head is the part you are referring to but the top is only where the ink is fed down to the jets.on the bottom edge. This is where the problem most likely lies.

Yes the cartridge and head move sideways in order to jet ink onto the paper. There is normally a gap between the print head jets the base of the rails . That is where I am referring to.

This might explain the situation a bit more clearly:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEkKGBUSwNg
Old Yesterday, 17:25
Established member

The cartridges move along the rails, left to right. Although I can't see what happens when the machine is closed and running, when the front is open the cartridges eventually stops over to the right with a small gap between them and the print head below. When the cartridges park over to the right they pass over the print head which raises to meet them and they both stop a little more to the right, together and touching. As for placing a piece of lint free material underneath, there doesn't seem to be enough room and I don't believe I can move the print head anyway.
Old Yesterday, 18:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Can you not follow the instructions in the utube link.

I am not familiar with the specific model of Canon printer so I am working a bit blind.

Usually you can lift the whole print head assembly just a few millimetres which is sufficient to place the wet material on the centre of the printing track and gently slide the print head over it. If you cant manually slide it then turn the power off and disconnect from mains.

The alternative I gave was to check eBay for a head cleaning kit for your printer. These usually consist of a small syringe and a piece of plastic tube together with a bottle of ink solvent which you inject slowly from the top of the print head assembly where the ink cartridges also feed ink in.