Go Back   Web User Forums > Multimedia > Music & Audio

Old 09-10-17, 20:15
Highly valued member

Default Re: cd in laptop drive no longer recognised

I fixed a similar problem for someone last year per phone, so maybe worth a try .....

Go into Device Manager and under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, delete both the channel 0 and channel 1 entries by uninstalling them per right-click.

Then reboot your machine.

These items will be reinstalled. Try your CDs again.
Old 15-10-17, 12:47
Established member

I bought a Multimedia lens cleaner and that did not help. Mind you it says it is for top-loaders and the laptop is a side loader CD/DVD disk player. Not sure what difference that might make though.
I uninstalled as suggested the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers as suggested and rebooted and this makes no difference.
I have tried troubleshooter and still cannot see 'view all'.
I tried 'Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Hardware and Sound >' and could not find'configure a device' or any changes in device manager.
I did go into 'autoplay' and in audio cd changed to 'open folder to view files' and saved it.
Nothing shows in WMP>

So i could try another software as has been suggested. Any thoughts as to which one?
I could try and do a system restore. However would need to do that to September 12th as this is when 'device migrated' is shown in device manager and wonder if this refers to the optical drive in some way, as it was at this date that I could no longer see or play the cd (or dvd) in the optical drive.
Thank you for all of your suggestions. I hope that I have not missed anything or misinterpreted any thing. Any further thoughts welcomed.
Old 15-10-17, 13:17
Global Moderator

How far do your restore points go back ?

It could have been something you inadvertently did.

This article while giving some suggestions of which you have already tried, also gives examples of how this could have come about.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/...other-programs
Old 18-10-17, 10:18
Established member

Thank you. I have rechecked my system restore and only seem to have one for about 8am this morning.
I do seem to remember a windows update about the kind of time that the optic driver stopped working about the 12th September or so.

I have looked at the Windows link, and it seems that I have tried up to Method 4. I am a bit wary about Method 5 which is about going into the registry.

I could see if a CD is loaded in Groove Music. However, I can not see how to do this. And Groove music seems to interfere with WMP and they unhelpfully work against each other, so I do not want to let them run together!
Old 18-10-17, 10:34
Global Moderator

You can make WMP the default player instead of Groove Music.

Start - Settings - Apps - Default apps then click on Music player and select WMP from the list.

If you still have problems, go into Troubleshooting and click on View all in the left pane and when they load, you will see a number of WMP trouble shooters.

In Update history check to see if you still have that update listed and then go into Uninstall an update to see if you can uninstall it - not all will allow that.
Old 18-10-17, 17:39
Established member

Its more to do with a different programne/software to WMP so as to determine whether it is WMP that is the problem or the Optical driver. I have just googled and an answer is that Groove Music cannot rip Cd's:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e27b406?auth=1

Does anyone know of another software which does rip cd's, I wonder? Thank you
Old 18-10-17, 23:05
Global Moderator

If you set to WMP default, then you can run the trouble shooters which may ID a problem with the CD/DVD drive.

I had an idea that ImgBurn could rip music CDs and a Google found this tutorial - http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...an-image-file/

You can download ImgBurn from - http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html
Old Yesterday, 07:03
Established member

Thank you. I have downloaded IMG burn, and as the name suggests it seems that it is only burns and does not rip. So can't detect the cd I have put in the optic drive so that I can rip it to my laptop!
Old Yesterday, 10:09
Global Moderator

Sorry - from the tutorial I had assumed it could rip.

If the DVD drive can't read any disks then I think you're going to have to assume the lasers are down and that the drive has died.
Old Yesterday, 11:31
Top contributor

You wrote in post #5 >
Quote:
There are two drives in disk drive which I have uninstalled and restarted.
In Device Manager, your laptop should show for an optical drive > DVD/CD Rom drives > and after expanding, only the name of your particular drive
(unless you also have an external optical drive)

Is it shown in Disk Management (with or without a disk in the drive) ?