Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 17-01-18, 20:22
Highly valued member

Default Re: Stored Logins

Just been looking at how to achieve this and I suspect you may have meant just storing them for easy future manual reference rather than actually auto recording to, and inserting from the USB stored 'log-ins' file.

Which, if that is the the case with my wife's laptop it probably wouldn't get done anymore than the other ways of recording them unless I did it for her which takes us back to post one.
Old 17-01-18, 22:51
Established member

Very slightly off-topic, but I remember my CC PIN as "VSTM", which would mean absolutely nothing to anyone else, even someone who understood what those initials mean. I don't think numbers, just those four letters. My fingers know where to go.

As for memory sticks, they're so tiny nowadays that they can be easily hidden just about anywhere, and with adequate capacity for most purposes. I've just bought another four (from PicStop) that are hardly bigger than my thumbnail, each with a capacity of 16 gigabytes, and I've got a couple that are even smaller.
Old 18-01-18, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcartero
This sounds like a very good idea, Nik. How do you find the location of stored passwords please?

You will find that in the first post

Nik thanks for your reply...I know how to access my passwords within Firefox but have no idea how to move the password file to a stick or how to print out the passwords without making repeated screen grabs. Please accept my apologies for being so dense.
Old 19-01-18, 10:58
Enthusiastic contributor

Just to reiterate, as there seems to be some confusion.
My computer is a laptop. I use Firefox to remember logins and passwords and to automatically fill them in as required when visiting sites. I don't use a master password as there is a distinct limit to the inconvenience, solely in the interests of hysterical security, that I will put up with.
I travel with the laptop quite frequently, and solely to address the problem of loosing it when in transit I have moved the Firefox profile data to a USB stick which Firefox now writes to and reads from.
The stick lives plugged into the computer, unless I am travelling, when it lives in my pocket.

Yes you do need to allocate the stick a permanent drive letter for this to work. Use a letter from the end of the alphabet to avoid possible clashes. You also need to edit two locations in a Firefox ini file which is on your computer. One is the path to the profile data on the usb stick, the other is setting a parameter to = zero if I remember correctly.
I have some notes on how I did this that are not to hand at the moment. But if you google for 'Firefox profile location', 'Moving Firefox profile location' and 'Assigning permanent letters to a drive in Windows' you should find it all.

Printing the password list does require a lot of cut n pasting. Earlier versions of Firefox allowed the password window to be expanded to full screen which made things a lot easier. But the people at Mozilla love to grasp every opportunity to be user aggressive with both hands, and have removed that button.

Further to not loosing it in transit, or the will to live, I find that a large glass of Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc in the departure lounge helps no end. Most of them seem to have it.

Nishk

PS Try here https://community.spiceworks.com/top...other-location for starters.

But for the nitty gritty http://www.jasonsamuel.com/2011/08/0...ming-profiles/

It's probably a good idea to make a backup copy of your profile before doing all this.

Last edited by NikoBold; 19-01-18 at 11:25.
Old 19-01-18, 13:51
Highly valued member

Ta! ... makes perfect sense now even to me
Old 19-01-18, 15:48

....and me, Niko. Many thanks from a mere mortal!
Old 20-01-18, 21:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Cheers peeps. Don't take too much notice of my comments about hysterical security. I just like living dangerously. My hammock has frayed ropes too.

Nik