Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 05-10-18, 16:05
Global Moderator

Default Re: Snipping Tool revised in the W10 October update becomes "Snip & Sketch"

That is what I was referring to but in your previous post you had both the right click context and well as what clicking on Properties gives you.

Once I click on Properties the right click menu cancels.

Thanks for the demo though and I'll give it a try later.
Old 05-10-18, 16:20
Passionate member

Default Re: Snipping Tool revised in the W10 October update becomes "Snip & Sketch"

You can only take a screenshot/snip/capture of what is showing on screen when the tool that is being used is 'activated'.
When you right click say an item in the Device manager, the r/click context menu appears. This can can captured.
As soon as an option is selected, say Properties, the menu disappears. What's not there, cannot be captured.

What you need to do, is capture the menu first, then Save it/Copy it.
Then capture the result of clicking an option in the menu (Properties), then Save it/Copy it.
The Properties screenshot is then copied then pasted into the original screenshot to give the appearance of all options being captured at once.

You need to use an image editor to do all this.
If I have time later, I'll create an animation/video to show how I can do it.
The Snip & Sketch Tool allows a user to copy a snip as well as Save it. I prefer to save it so a copy to reference to is always there and reuse if necessary.
Old 05-10-18, 20:28
Passionate member

Below is a short YouTube video showing how to copy a taken ‘Snip’ of a right click context menu using the W10 1809 Snip & Sketch Tool.
It is then pasted into MS Paint along with subsequent snips to create a composite image.

I must stress that MS Paint is a very, very basic tool and its downfall, amongst other (many) things, as with many other image editors, is Paint does not support layers.
Once a snip has been pasted into Paint, you can resize/move while it is selected, as soon as the pasted image has been deselected, it cannot be moved /resized. (There are time consuming ways of doing it)
Layer supported editors allow indefinite moving/resizing of layers when saved in the correct format.

There are other ways to achieve the shown end result and this is just one way using the Snip & Sketch Tool (copy to Clipboard method) which may help you out.
Saving a 'snip' and opening it in an editor perhaps is a preferred method as the snip is there for future use. When it is in the Clipboard, it will disappear eventually.
The delay time is dependant on what a user is doing and how fast he/she can do it before the screen dims ready for the snip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pk7BVeC5Dw

Open the device manager, then the Snip and Tool
Opt for a 3 second delay in the new, drop down menu
Now right click an entry and hover over properties to highlight it
The screen will dim. Now draw out your snip
Use the copy button to copy the snip to the Clipboard
Now back in Paint, expand the canvas a little before using the Paste button
While the pasted snip is selected, position and resize as required
Now open the Device manager and right click an entry, then Properties
Copy as before
Reopen Paint, and paste what you have copied. Resize, move as required while selected
Deselect the pasted snip then use the Selection Tool to draw around the composite image to create a final image
Use the Crop Tool to finalise
Save the image in a location of your choice with a suitable name and in a suitable file type (jpeg, png etc)
Close/minimise all open Windows and boxes
Locate the saved image to view
Old 05-10-18, 20:43
Global Moderator

I'll probably need FF to view that YT but from your written instructions, I doubt I would need to go that far as I can do a screen shot and paste that into Paint which is usually sufficient for what I need.

The Snip & Sketch tool will be handy should I need to capture the right click menu - but thanks anyway.
Old 05-10-18, 20:50
Passionate member

Clickable link in post 23 for those that won't modernise!:

Old 06-10-18, 07:39
Established member

Quote:
Saving a 'snip' and opening it in an editor perhaps is a preferred method as the snip is there for future use. When it is in the Clipboard, it will disappear eventually.
It is worth pointing out that in this Windows 10 update the clipboard has changed and means that disappearing takes longer and can in fact be prevented for individul clips.
Use <winkey>+V to show the clipboard history. This shows that when you make a clip it automatically goes into the clipboard, i.e., the Copy to Clipboard option is redundant and if you use it you will get two copies of the clip in the Clipboard. Once you have made a snip, open the clipboard history and the snip will show as a largish thumbnail and on the right hand side of that is a pin icon. Pressing that keeps it in the clipboard permanently - it survives a computer shutdown and gets a date. It's a bit early yet to see how long they stay but I have a clip dated yesterday.
A disadvantage of the clipboard history I have found so far is that the window that comes up seems to be non-resizeable and immovable, it would also be nice if you could turn it into a sidebar while using it.

David
Old 06-10-18, 08:34
Passionate member

Another disadvantage of the new Clipboard, if enabled, is users sometimes copy and paste sensitive information like logins, passwords, and even banking information to their clipboard. This isn’t a good idea, it's surprising how often we unwittingly do it at times, but before the October 2018 update it wasn’t as dangerous because Windows only remembered the last entry on your clipboard. If you enable clipboard history on Windows 10, you need to take special care that you do not copy sensitive information to your clipboard. If you do copy sensitive information to the clipboard, make sure that you clear it out immediately. Individual items in your history can be removed.

The history will persist past a system restart so you have to be proactive about keeping it clean. Sensitive information shouldn’t be stored there but to make sure that it’s still usable, you should trim the items on the clipboard regularly so that only important items are kept long term. There doesn’t seem to be any limit on how many items it can store but since this is a native Windows 10 feature, you can expect it to store a reasonably large number of items.
Old 06-10-18, 09:01
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
Clickable link in post 23 for those that won't modernise!:

Then why didn't you just post the URL instead of filling up the forum with videos that can't be viewed in all browsers.

You in effect posted the same video twice.

When a video is posted that can't be viewed in IE then I'll just ignore it as I have no intention of booting up another browser just to view it.

@DavidNewton - CCleaner has an option to clear the clipboard.
Old 06-10-18, 13:37
Global Moderator

@ Moonshine - I've removed your insulting post.

In future if you want everyone to view videos you post, then I suggest you do so as suggested in my last post.

Any more insulting posts by you to other members will incur a suspension or ban.