Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 10-02-18, 10:48
Established member

Question Read Only files

Can anyone explain why a .doc file I have been using for many years suddenly changed to a "Read only" . It is an announcement for a regular lecture series where I have simply added date time and other details, ctrl/a ctrl/c then saved the file without the changes. The "Ctrl/c" file is inserted into an email.
Have I done something??
Ericg
Old 10-02-18, 11:07
Global Moderator

Default Re: Read Only files

I don't know why that has occurred but this article may help - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4196f64?auth=1

However, if your Docs folder has been changed to read only then you will need to take ownership of it, either by the steps in this article or by adding Take Ownership to the right click context menu.

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-...read-only.html

Scroll down to the bottom of this article to use the Take Ownership Menu Hacks - I have this on my laptops.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...menu-in-vista/

You can also right click on your Doc's file and take ownership of it.
Old 10-02-18, 12:00
Highly valued member

Just a guess really but have you by any chance put the file in a new folder, even if not it still might be worth checking the folder properties as it may be the folder which the file is stored in that is causing the problem as if set to read only this will normally be passed on to the folder's contents.

Right click the folder it is contained in and select properties under the general tab: see if the read only box is checked, if so uncheck it > apply> OK.

If it is that you will probably need to repeat on the file itself which would now have been set to read only in line with the folder properties.
Old 10-02-18, 12:09
Highly valued member

Ooops! I see you've already mentioned what I've just rit Tom.

I'm supposed to be fixing the Hoover and skived off for a Google, but her who must came hovering, so I left the page open, just came back to post, the page updated when I submitted and only then I spotted you had already posted during the period when went back to the tricky bit on the Hoover.

(If I say this is the tricky bit and start cursing she always beggars off)
Old 10-02-18, 13:17
Established member

Thumbs up Re: Read Only files

Thanks for your ideas. It was only a single file not a whole folder. It looks like a right click- properties should allow me to remove the read only attribute
ericg
Old 10-02-18, 18:54
Highly valued member

Yes of course you can do that but you asked how it might have got set to read only without you setting it so, not how can I turn off the 'read only' setting of the individual file.

If the folder it has been stored in is set to read only then the file(s) in it will be set to read only also.

That was why I said have you by any chance opened a new folder for the file. It may vary by version of MS Office but new folders on my windows 7 machine and my version of Office are automatically set to read only when created.

You can unset the individual file but if the folder is set to 'read only' next time you edit and save the file to that folder it is may become read only again.
Old 15-02-18, 11:13
Established member

Jak, the file was in a folder with several dozen other files. None of them change to Read only when I open them. Nothing has been altered that I know of. No changes have been made to cause the change to read only.
At least I know how to change it now.
ericg