Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security news and updates

Old 09-02-18, 00:25
Top contributor

Default Google Chrome to Mark All HTTP Sites "Not Secure" Starting July 2018

This report is from Bleeping Computer;

Google Chrome to Mark All HTTP Sites "Not Secure" Starting July 2018
Quote:
Google announced earlier today plans to mark all HTTP sites as "Not Secure" in Chrome, starting with July 2018, when the company plans to release Google Chrome 68.

The company's decision comes after HTTPS adoption increased among website owners and a large chunk of today's traffic is now encrypted.

Google said that more than 68% of Chrome traffic on both Android and Windows and over 78% of Chrome traffic on both Chrome OS and Mac, is now being sent via HTTPS.
Old 12-02-18, 19:55
Top contributor

Default Re: Google Chrome to Mark All HTTP Sites "Not Secure" Starting July 2018

More about this from ESET's WeLiveSecurity and Sophos' Naked Security:

Google Chrome takes aim at websites that still use unencrypted HTTP
Quote:
If you’re still running a website that is still using insecure HTTP then it’s time to wake up and drink the coffee.

Because unless you take action soon, you’re going to find many of your visitors are going to distrust your website.

The reason? Google is pushing ahead with its plan for the Chrome browser to start labelling all sites that continue to use unencrypted HTTP as “not secure” from July 2018.
You have five months to switch your website to HTTPS – Naked Security
Quote:
As far as Google is concerned, unencrypted HTTP web connections should be nearing the end of the road.
See also this thread:

Beware the looming Google Chrome HTTPS certificate apocalypse! - Web User Forums
Old 12-02-18, 20:51
Highly valued member

Default Re: Google Chrome to Mark All HTTP Sites "Not Secure" Starting July 2018

So to get more people to join the forum, Web User, a Computer mag, should get it's house in order regarding this forum.
Yes I know we regulars know that's it's ok, but anyone not in the know will avoid it like the plague once this comes on board with Chrome.

fosseway
Old 12-02-18, 21:14
Top contributor

There's also the point that not everyone uses Google Chrome! This website is shown as insecure whenever you log in ~ presumably it's the same when you want to register. As you know, this issue has been mentioned a few times in the past ~ an example:

Unprotected connection to Webuser? - Web User Forums

Sneakybeaky gave the solution in this post:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....21&postcount=2
Old 12-02-18, 21:56
Highly valued member

I have re-read the previous threads on this and I can see that it might be difficult to update what appears to be an antiquated version and maybe would take time. No way do I want WU to close the forum cos having no HTTPS might not be good for a computer magazine but what are other forums using,maybe a look for something else that's out there might be the answer. Anyone got any ideas.????

fosseway
Old 12-02-18, 22:47
Top contributor

fosseway, Sneakybeaky has already said what needs to be done! The only question is whether or not this forum can run on https. Since you've read the previous posts, I'm not sure why you seem to think that the the forum will close because of this - people already get the message that it's not a secure site, so not a lot will change. As far as I know, people don't put sensitive info, such as financial details, on here anyway - why would they?

It's up to Dennis Publishing whether any changes are made, not us. From the following article on the vBulletin site, it seems possible that version 3 could be updated to https:

Converting your forum to https - vBulletin Community Forum
Old 13-02-18, 07:07
Highly valued member

I know Madeline, I read ALL of the threads. You seem to be missing my point, but I'm not going to go over what I have already said in several posts over a period of time. As far as I am aware, Dennis Publishing have never given an explanation regarding this anomaly.
I close my views and let others, if they wish, to contribute to the post.

fosseway
Old 14-02-18, 23:59
Top contributor

I do not see what your point is! If you're worried that the forum might close because of what Google is about to do, then I suggest you post about your concerns in the Feedback forum and hopefully you'll get a response there from Admin.