Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 28-01-18, 14:06
Established member

Default PDF Anti-Copy Problem - Warning

This has been recommended in both WU and CA.
Tried twice to download it but both times the D/L stuck and I had to abandon.
Both times there was something wrong with my network afterwards.
The first time it righted itself but the second time after restarting router and other investigations didn't work I finally discovered the wi-fi adapter on my laptop was disabled.
How the hell did that happen?
Something dodgy going on?
Old 28-01-18, 19:04
Global Moderator

Default Re: PDF Anti-Copy Problem - Warning

I've moved this thread to Feedback so Robert will see it and hopefully check out that link - it certainly sounds dodgy.
Old 29-01-18, 00:18
Highly valued member

I also think there is something odd about that site.

I too was interested and visited the site to have a read. After about 10 seconds I could here my CPU Fan.

The processor is an i7 3.4Ghz so it should cope with normal browsing without anywhere near breaking a sweat.

After about 1 minute the CPU Fan was at near Hair Dryer decibels. It's only ever done that before if rendering longer than average High Definition video and even then not always.

I looked to see what else was running but I had nothing open checked task manager and it only showed FF with the PDF-Anti copy tab running.

I had a look at processes and was a little alarmed to find the the several entries in the CPU column for FireFox were coming on and off at around 25% but one of them was jumping up and down around 50% The RAM in use by FF was also high and still steadily creeping upwards. (I was only reading the page not downloading anything)

The CPU fan was now getting very loud, I closed the tab and the fan immediately fell silent. I tried this three times an each time got exactly the same result. Enough was enough if that's just reading the page I wasn't going to download anything and left it alone until reading rufford's post just now.

Before posting this I looked at the site again just to be sure, again tried it three times and got exactly the same result each time, both with the fan noise and task manager readings.
Old 29-01-18, 09:05
Web User Staff

Hmm, that's odd - the website and the download both work fine for me, and haven't affected my network or CPU. I've just installed the program without any problems.

Just to check - the PDF Anti-Copy tool is the one we featured in Best Free Software in Issue 425, with the URL pdfanticopy.com?

Last edited by Robert Irvine Editor; 29-01-18 at 20:15.
Old 29-01-18, 19:49
Highly valued member

Hi Robert,

Yes that is the same site.

I've just tried it again and while it didn't send my CPU as crazy as it did last night it was getting that way. ie.

Same as last night I had two tabs open (A blank Google search Page and the WU Forum page) before opening a third to copy paste the URL in from your post.

Just two or three seconds after the site loaded I noticed the CPU fan increase a touch, I'm meaning from not being able to hear it at all to now being aware the fan was running. Listening to it for a bit it did seem to be increasing in volume but not as dramatically as it did on the previous occasions.

I had a look at task manager again and this time only one entry for FF was showing any CPU usage but that one entry was fluctuating around the bottom end of 50%. By this time the fan noise was certainly well above normal and it was now starting to do that up and down whining noise as it's control circuit responds to the fluctuating CPU temperature sensor; you know like a variable speed hair dryer being switched between low, med, and high at random and now it was steadilly growing in volume but still not as dramatically as last night.

I then switched tabs back to WU to see if any more FF Task Mang. entries registered CPU usage or in fact if the CPU usage changed by switching tabs but the other entries remained at zero and that one same entry continued flicking up and down between 50% and 53%.

I had a look at Avast and Comodo and they were idle showing 0%.

Without leaving the WU Tab I next closed the PDF ant-copy tab; the 50% CPU usage immediately dropped to zero. The fan fell silent and now all Firefox entries were again at zero.

Personally I'm not that bothered Robert, I don't use PDF all that often these days but when I do it's usually to retain document layout/format and prevent editing of the original. Preventing copy sounded a nice extra feature to have but, for me at least, I can live without it.
Old 29-01-18, 20:24
Web User Staff

Actually, I've just tested the site again using Chrome's task manager and you're right jak - it does seem to use an abnormally large amount of processing power!

It's been a while since we featured the program in the magazine (June last year), so it's possible there could be something dodgy running on the site now and it's probably best avoided just in case.

Will certainly avoid recommending it in future. Thanks for the information.
Old 29-01-18, 20:26
Highly valued member

It appears to be a Firefox issue which is causing my problem. No idea what though.

As the site itself seems to get an all clear via various checks I decided to try IE (as I'm presently using a W7 OS) ...No increased CPU usage with IE and the installer downloaded without problem. Scanned the downloaded .exe with Avast and no issues.

The only thing I can think of is that my FF version is 64bit and my IE version is 32bit. Don't know why that should make such a difference when just reading a web page of one specific site though.
.................................................. ...........................

Just had a quick google before submitting this post and it seems their may be an issue with with FF 57 Quantum, which mine is, as there are several posts about something similar although not exactly the same as I was getting with just that one site. Anyway I'm stepping my shout down to Defcon5 but of course rufford155 still has his problem.

Example.. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1192849
Old 29-01-18, 20:33
Highly valued member

Crossed post Robert I was Googling Firefox support. I've got it now anyway. I'll try the installer with an image in my back pocket and let you know if any issues.

Ill do a boot time scan overnight (with 4Tbs it takes that long for a boot time scan) and run others tomorrow. All seems OK at the moment though.