Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Email and Messaging

Old 24-01-18, 15:47
Established member

Talking Adding Brit English to Thunderbird email program

Using T-Bird to teach an elderly client, it's not bad.

BUT, the British dictionary is not installed by default and the spell checker doth not work.

I consulted the T-Bird forum, there is a terse solution, which is out of date, so here's how to get T-Bird spell checking in the Queens English.

UPDATE:
T-Bird has changed a lot in locations since the help was published.

In T-Bird click the 3 stripes hamburger icon at the TOP RIGHT of the program, near the search bar field.

No need to go into TOOLS anymore, there is a dedicated menu for
ADD-ONS .
It has a jigsaw piece icon next to it.

Okay - download the Brit Dictionary (not language) in your browser, don't open it if you have Chrome or Pale Moon installed as it will try to install it there instead.
Download it here: [https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thu...l-mostpopular]

Save the file instead into your download folder.

Press Win+ E to open File manager and find the Brit dictionary

Meanwhile in T-Bird have the ADD-ONS tab open on DICTIONARIES.

Drag the Brit Dictionary from your download folder to the T-Bird Dictionary tab and it installs immediately. Putting the programs side-by side helps or use two monitors (have been since Win XP, easy)

Yes, I agree the process is entirely unnecessary faff and defies the concept of an easy to configure e-mail program, but it works.

Meester Chris
Don't all shout at once
Old 24-01-18, 22:26
Top contributor

Default Re: Adding Brit English to Thunderbird email program

You can do it more easily if you go either to the 3-bar icon or to Tools>Add-ons, click Get Add-ons, then 'Learn More'. This will take you to the Thunderbird Add-ons page. To get the British English Dictionary, under 'Categories' on the left-hand side of the page, click 'Language Support', then the '+ Add To Thunderbird' button on 'British English Dictionary' and it will install in your Thhunderbird add-ons in the same way that add-ons install in Firefox. It was a lot quicker to do that than it was to type this! The spell checker works fine too.

Incidentally, there wasn't a 'Dictionaries' tab/icon in the Add-ons Manager section in Thunderbird until I installed the British English Dictionary!

I don't have Chrome installed, but I had Pale Moon open, but idle, when I installed this add-on in Thunderbird! In other words, the installation was done entirely from within Thunderbird, no browser was necessary to achieve this. I did this in v52.5.2 of Thunderbird.

Any Thunderbird extension can be installed using the same method.

The link in your post wouldn't work for me - I got a 'Not Found' error page when I tried it.
Old 26-01-18, 01:54
Top contributor

A bit more info. You can also get to the list of add-ons by clicking 'See all' instead of 'Learn More' ~ the same Categories will be there.

If you download an add-on using a browser and have saved it to your Download or any other preferred folder, you can open the Add-ons Manager in Thunderbird, go to Extensions, click on the cog wheel icon and then on 'Install Add-on From File...', the folder where the add-on is saved should open (if not go to the right folder), highlight the file, click 'Open' and the add-on will install in Thunderbird normally.
Old 26-01-18, 21:47
Enthusiastic contributor

That's another irritation solved. I used Madeline's method, and now I can hope not to have to keep right-clicking and selecting "add to dictionary" whenever it objects to an English English spelling.

It's possible to do something similar in Firefox too, except that it isn't in my case because version 52 is apparently "too old", so I'm stuck with US spelling and having to add British words manually for now.

Thanks for the information Madeline (and MeesterChris). Every little helps.
Old 26-01-18, 22:28
Top contributor

Youíre very welcome Joe-King, Iím glad you found it useful. Regarding a British English Dictionary which will work in Firefox 52.0, have a look here:

English (GB) Language Pack :: Versions :: Add-ons for Firefox

Also have a look at the versions for British English Dictionary shown below. An older version, possibly one issued around February/March 2017, may be compatible with your version of Firefox:

British English Dictionary (Marco Pinto) :: Versions :: Add-ons for Firefox

Thereís this one too which hasnít been updated since 2015, but may be OK:

British English Dictionary :: Versions :: Add-ons for Firefox

Obviously I found all these in Windows but they could be all right for Linux distros too.