Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 24-01-18, 09:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Asus Express Gate

My computer tells me it's "loading Asus Express Gate" before loading the OS. I've tried Googling this, but can't find anything I understand. All I've found so far is that it's a Linux-based mini-operating system that supposedly enables almost instant access to files and the internet, but I don't see how that's possible while the main OS is loading.

There doesn't seem to be anything about it on the Asus site at

https://www.asus.com/uk/

The best I can find so far is that Express Gate only works for Windows users (which I'm not), and is accessible via a "ROG button", which I don't have. It seems this "ROG button" is something to do with on-line gaming, which doesn't interest me anyway.

(ROG=Republic Of Gamers apparently, whatever that is.)

Can anyone tell me something about this Express Gate system in plain English please?

If it's for Windows users only, there doesn't seem much point having it on a Linux-only machine, so would there be any advantage in disabling it?

Boot times aren't a problem, so is it safer to leave things as they are?
Old 24-01-18, 11:01
Passionate member

Default Re: Asus Express Gate

Yes you are correct:
ASUS Express Gate is an ASUS exclusive OS that provides you with quick access to the Internet and key applications before entering the Windows® OS
I assume you have the driver installed because you have an Asus motherboard?
There is a manual for it here:
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/App...elpDesk_Manual
Old 24-01-18, 15:16
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that, Sneakybeaky. I've downloaded what I think is the right one, but it doesn't really answer my question.

I started getting the Express Gate message after the computer had been in the hands of what I now know to have been a malicious "repair man". I don't suspect anything malicious in this case though. I just want to know whether it's worth disabling, or even removing altogether, as I don't use Windows.
Old 24-01-18, 15:56
Enthusiastic contributor

I never asked anyone to install Express Gate because I didn't even know it existed. When I started seeing the message, I thought it safer to leave it alone, thinking it was probably something to reduce loading times.

Now that I (think I) know something about it (still very little though), I've gone into the BIOS and disabled it. No noticeable difference in boot times, just that message is gone.

I think (hope) I've done the right thing, but I can always go back and re-enable it if necessary.
Old 24-01-18, 17:42
Passionate member

It is not malicious. Somehow it was enabled ( by someone) in the bios. I have never enabled it as I do not want to use it.