Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 19-01-18, 16:45
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Can this be done?

This probably isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

If I open an image file, however large, it doesn't initially fill the screen. If I then click on Maximise, it expands to the screen borders, but doesn't cover them. If I click on F11, it will cover the entire available area, leaving nothing else showing.

If I were to add that image to my startup sequence, it would open occupying less than the entire screen area.

Now to my question. Is there any way to open an image on startup in such as way as to fill the entire screen, as if I'd pressed F11?

I want it to cover the borders, the start button, the desktop icons, all the places where applications lurk, so that an inexperienced (and unauthorised) user would be at a loss to know what to do next.

We on here would know to press F11, but not everybody is computer literate.

I could use a batch file if that would work, but I'd need to know the code to use, not having created such a file in a very long time.

I use Ubuntu, but may be able to translate instructions intended for Windows machines.

I won't hold my breath though.
Old 20-01-18, 01:03
Top contributor

Default Re: Can this be done?

Do you mean something like this?

Overlap Wallpaper

In the "Features & Tips" there, amongst other things, it says
Quote:
Display a different image over the desktop wallpaper.
Full screen option (v.2.6.0 onwards) displays the photo covering the desktop and its icons. It auto adjust to current screen resolution on each start.
Edit: These 2 links may be useful over hiding icons in Linux. If one of them is useful, then perhaps you could go for a wallpaper overlay specific to a Linux distro.

unity - How to hide all desktop icons in 12.04 and later? - Ask Ubuntu

4 Ways to Hide Desktop Icons - wikiHow

In the 2nd link, look at Methods 3 and 4.

Check out Fluxbox:

Fluxbox - Community Help Wiki

Last edited by Madeline; 20-01-18 at 01:33. Reason: As shown
Old 20-01-18, 09:19
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for that Madeline. No time today, but I'll check it out next week.

I don't think it's what I'm looking for, but I won't know until I investigate further.

What I've got in mind is something that will hide not only the desktop icons, but the screen borders as well, exactly as if I'd pressed F11.

No desktop icons and no task bars either. Nothing at all showing apart from my chosen image.

I could make these things disappear, but then I'd have to bring them back when I wanted to use them, so I'd rather just overlay an image over everything.

It's not really important, but it could be used to provide an extra layer of confusion to a nosy visitor at boot-up time if I have to leave the room for any reason.

I take things a bit further whenever I'm going to be away, setting it to boot automatically into a "user account" where everything's disabled and with a wallpaper that shows a "stolen" message.

It wouldn't stop a burglar taking the machine (thank goodness I haven't been burgled in the 24 years I've been here), but it would make it more difficult to sell unless the thief understood Linux, and even then he'd have to get past my password (or just do a clean install, but I hope he wouldn't know to do that either).
Old 22-01-18, 00:45
Top contributor

I realise it's probably not what you want, but from what you said originally, it appears that you need some kind of overlay method to achieve the desired result! Sorry, I don't have any more ideas.
Old 22-01-18, 18:27
Enthusiastic contributor

No problem Madeline. Thanks anyway for your input. I'll check it out this week, just in case.

I was just wondering whether it was possible to include a command to both open a file and then do the equivalent of pressing F11 so all that would show on startup would be the overlay image, obscuring not only my desktop and icons, but the taskbars as well.

It's not really important, just a way of booting the computer while a possibly nosy visitor is here, not a situation that happens often anyway.

I just have to accept that it probably can't be done.
Old 22-01-18, 22:15
Top contributor

What about using the Lock Screen ~ Ctrl+Alt+L? A couple of links:

How to Change the Unity Lock Screen on Ubuntu - Appuals.com

How to adjust screen lock settings on Linux desktop - Xmodulo

Probably useless, but you never know!