Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 06-01-18, 22:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Browser won't load

I've a laptop with Windows 7. Today Windows wouldn't load, and the repair window appeared. After a few minutes there was a message that repairs were successful, and Windows started. Opera, my default browser is working fine, but I also have Chrome for occasional use. But when I tried to open it, this message from Windows appeared,

'Item will not load as its side by side configuration is incorrect. See application event log or use command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.'

Er, what does that mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and Windows clock is now an hour slow.
Old 06-01-18, 22:52
Global Moderator

Default Re: Browser won't load

If your clock is only an hour out and the date is correct then just correct it, but keep an eye on it.

Open IE and Google for chrome download and reinstall it to see if that resolves.
Old 07-01-18, 00:44
Top contributor

You can also download Google Chrome via the link below using Opera if you prefer!

Chrome Web Browser

If reinstalling doesn't work and get rid of the error, it could be some problem to do with what Microsoft Visual C++ packages you've got installed. Have a look at the Microsoft Community thread below and see if there's any help there. The thread's quite old, but it says it was updated on January 7, 2018, so it's still current:

Error: The application has failed to start because the side by - Microsoft Community

It might be as well to check your time settings too. Go to Control Panel>Date and Time and make sure that your Time zone is shown as '(UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London' - unless you're somewhere different!
Old 07-01-18, 20:29
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Madeline, looks like I got off light compared with some. So far Chrome is the only application I've found that won't load, and I've checked most. I'll have to spend some time with the Microsoft debate you gave a link to. Regarding the clock, it is set to the correct zone, so I don't know what happened there. Maybe Microsoft have a programme that's a time machine!
Old 08-01-18, 00:31
Top contributor

Quote:
Maybe Microsoft have a programme thatís a time machine!
You never know!

Perhaps the clock got confused when you did the repair! What Cantrel said seems the most sensible thing to do as far as the clock goes. I hope you get Chrome sorted, but if the error persists, perhaps you could consider getting another browser to use as your secondary browser.
Old 08-01-18, 22:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
You never know!

Perhaps the clock got confused when you did the repair! What Cantrel said seems the most sensible thing to do as far as the clock goes. I hope you get Chrome sorted, but if the error persists, perhaps you could consider getting another browser to use as your secondary browser.
I may just dump Chrome, don't like it much anyway. All other software is working, and the computer, which is 6 years old, has become as fast as it was when I bought it. Windows loads instantly, as do all programmes. Makes me wonder if the computer, or OS, has purged itself of something nasty, though I'm not expert enough to know.
Old 08-01-18, 22:24
Top contributor

It sounds fine to me. I got rid of Chrome a long time ago, Iím not keen on Google. From what you say, I think the repair must have done a good job for you!
Old 12-01-18, 20:59
Enthusiastic contributor

I did a bit of googling about this problem, and found a guy who couldn't access Chrome because of the side by side configuration thing. He said he just reinstalled Chrome, without deleting it first, and it was accessible again with all his book marks in place. So I did that and got the same result. Problem solved. I also noticed I didn't find any instance of this occuring in any browser other than Chrome.
Old 12-01-18, 21:14
Top contributor

Thatís excellent news, Iím glad youíve got it sorted Jon98 and thanks for letting us know.