Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 06-01-18, 14:53
Passionate member

Default V Bulletin Messages

Hi Guys, Just lately when I log in to WU I always get the following message:
"V Bulletin Messages. Do not have permission to access this page" but I can click a Forums tab at the top left corner and get straight to the Forums. I don't even know what a "V Bulletin" is let alone try to access it. Any help please to stop this page repeating.

TB
Old 06-01-18, 22:33
Top contributor

Default Re: V Bulletin Messages

This is a vBulletin forum Blotmice - if you look at the bottom of the page, it says "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4". I've seen a similar message too, usually when I've tried to see a post which has been deleted for some reason. This is the message I see
Quote:
vBulletin Message

Madeline, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post for the first time, your account may be awaiting activation..
3. The post you are trying to access has been removed.
4. Your account may have been disabled by an administrator.
At the moment there are some daft error messages appearing here as I said in this post:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147499

That was due to a different cause, but the messages were the same! I mentioned it in the "Posts hanging" thread too.
Old 07-01-18, 10:02
Highly valued member

Hi Blotmice,

I hope you don't mind me having a look at some of your recent post, but this one http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....06&postcount=4
is hot linking to a page containing adverts and not just the image you have posted. Just a guess but it might be worth asking a moderator to try deleting it, and any others you know of linked to that source.

You wont see the adds if you have a blocker activated but they are there along with other links.

@ Madeline, not trying to be smart despite our too often disagreements but I frequently got those 'duplicated posts' messages, not all the time but annoying none the less. It wasn't anything to do with the Forum it was a faulty mouse which very occasionally made and broke the connection creating a long double click. .. Just a thought worth checking with a spare mouse if you have one.

Mine was a wireless mouse so difficult to pin down if a mechanical issue in mouse itself or the wireless circuit in mouse or receiver, but the micro-switch in a mouse itself would be favourite as micro switches are not unknown for making and breaking due to their delicate inners.

As I said just a suggestion.
Old 07-01-18, 10:28
Global Moderator

I've physically removed that post using your link, Jak.
Old 07-01-18, 23:01
Passionate member

Thank you Madeline, thank you Jak, thank you Tom.

I don't know a lot. I don't really understand what hot linking is all about so I am not consciously using it for anything, whatever that is. How would I know if an image is linked to anything or not.
I appreciate your input and patience.
Thank you Guys.

TB
Old 08-01-18, 00:07
Top contributor

You’re very welcome TB. I get odd messages when I’m on this site regardless of which of our PCs I use - I’d probably miss them if they vanished altogether! As far as hotlinking goes, this Wikipedia entry gives a brief explanation:

Hotlinking

A lot of people refer to hotlinking as ‘bandwidth theft’. If you see an image in a post here, either it should have been placed there by uploading directly to this site from the poster’s own PC or other device or by using an image-hosting site, such as Photobucket or Imgur, to host and provide links to enable the display of images. Some info from Wikipedia about image hosting:

Image hosting service
Old 08-01-18, 02:19
Passionate member

Many thanks Madeline.

That will take me some time to digest!! But it does appear possible that I wont get the answer to my question. It has been pointed out to me that I have been doing this linking thing but I have done nothing other than post a code given by Photobucket or Imgur. And anyway what is that to do with this V Bulletin message that I am still getting?
It doesn't make sense.

TB
Old 08-01-18, 11:58
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotmice View Post
Hi Guys, Just lately when I log in to WU I always get the following message:
"V Bulletin Messages. Do not have permission to access this page" but I can click a Forums tab at the top left corner and get straight to the Forums. I don't even know what a "V Bulletin" is let alone try to access it. Any help please to stop this page repeating.

TB
Hi George,
vBulletin is the software used by Web User to run these forums ... albeit that it is an older, outdated version of vBulletin.
I can't answer your query about your vBulletin messages at login but as you've posted this in Feedbank & Announcements, hopefully our admin will be able to investigate.

Regarding your puzzlement about why one of your innofensive Christmas images was removed by a mod; you say that you have been using Imgur hosting to post images here, so in that case it should not have been removed because it was not Hotlinked. Perhaps Tom could explain this? Perhaps it was the underlying content of the image rather than how you posted it as suggested by Jak above?
I've sent you a PM with further information about hotlinking that may help to further clarify.

Regards, Spit

Last edited by tornado; 08-01-18 at 12:24.
Old 08-01-18, 12:11
Global Moderator

I just went on what Jak had said - sorry if that was in error.
Old 08-01-18, 19:51
Top contributor

What happens if you don’t log out TB, but simply stay logged in until the next time you come here? From what you’ve said, it sounds as if you log in and out on each visit - sorry if I’ve got that wrong. You can stay logged in if you tick ‘Remember Me?’ when you log in next time, then don’t log out when you leave the site, just close the tab or window you’ve been using, then the next time you load the site you should be logged in already and hopefully you won’t see the vBulletin message again. I don’t know why you’ve been seeing it at all!
Quote:
It has been pointed out to me that I have been doing this linking thing but I have done nothing other than post a code given by Photobucket or Imgur.
As Spit has said, if you’ve only posted images by using code supplied by Photobucker or Imgur, you definitely haven’t been hotlinking and there was nothing wrong with what you were doing.