Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 22-12-17, 21:34
Enthusiastic contributor

Exclamation Using 90W power adapter for 65W laptop?

I've misplaced the power AC adapter for a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series laptop yesterday. Found a Dell PA-10 adapter which is 90W when the correct adapter is 65W. I connected and seems to be charging laptop OK. I will look in the house more and should find it by tomorrow but is this dangerous? Could the laptop catch fire or damage the PSU? TIA.
Old 23-12-17, 08:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Using 90W power adapter for 65W laptop?

From the point of view of power draw all that spec means is that the device can deliver up to 90 watts. Your computer will only draw up to 65 watts. BUT that is not the correct power supply for that computer and that COULD cause a problem and also if it is one of the cheapy clone power supplies that COULD also cause a problem. Personally I would use it (I am NOT recomending that you use it I am saying that I WOULD USE IT) but I would be keeping a very wary eye on it. I would not leave it plugged in overnight or when I am not using the computer.
Old 23-12-17, 09:30
Enthusiastic contributor

As long as the output voltage is the same as the original and the polarity of the plug is the same then no problem, use it.
Old 23-12-17, 09:48
Passionate member

alanrwood is correct:
The output connector must match.
The polarity of the output connector must match.
The output voltage must be the same.
The output amperage must be greater than or equal to that required by the laptop.
or:
The output wattage must be greater than or equal to that required by the laptop.
Old 23-12-17, 11:48
Enthusiastic contributor

You people put your selves in very dangerous positions by recommending that the OP does use this power supply. That is why I went to great pains to say that I would use it but I wouldn't recommend anyone else using it. If I had been given that advice and something had happened I would pursue the perpetrators of that advice, within the auspices of the law, as far as I was able.

Silly silly advice to give without any cautionaries but then it is what I expect of most forumites I suppose.
Old 23-12-17, 12:39
Passionate member

@pete.i
Which post can you see which 'recommends' him to use it without checking parameters first?
The Dell compatability list for the 90watt power supply is here:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acces...&mfgpid=200184
Old 23-12-17, 18:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete.i View Post

Silly silly advice to give without any cautionaries but then it is what I expect of most forumites I suppose.
Sorry to disagree with you . Please just tell me what other parameters need to be met apart from connection type/polarity, correct voltage and power capability. Having been a qualified electrical/electronic engineer for upwards of 50 years I don't see any problem in what I said particularly after your very cautionary post.
Old 23-12-17, 21:19
Passionate member

@alanrwood
I think he has made assumptions without knowledge.
Quote:
what I expect of most forumites
Did he think that we would offer an opinion without basing it on knowledge and experience?
My thirty years of maintaining, servicing and repairing Dell laptops and computers may help my judgement?
Old 23-12-17, 22:53
Enthusiastic contributor

Sneakybeaky and alanrwood are correct. To try and clarify:-

It's not the power output that's important from the point of view of damage, it's the voltage.

If the voltage supplied to the laptop is correct, then the adapter will not harm the laptop.

It may be helpful to think of the power supply as providing available power, at a given voltage, up to a maximum.

The laptop will take what it needs - if the PSU can't provide enough, then the laptop won't work, but if the computer needs less than the PSU can provide, then it won't take more than it needs. Its exactly the same as running a 450 watt PC with a 900 watt PSU.

As has been pointed out, it is absolutely necessary to check that the output voltage of the PSU is not more than the laptop can cope with. It should be the same as the original PSU, in which case, there will be no problem.
Old 24-12-17, 20:25
Highly valued member

If there's even the slightest chance of damaging you laptop why risk it. You can buy a new Dell adapter for around 25.00

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Ins.../dp/B01C49IHDG