Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Notices

Old 22-12-17, 21:39
Global Moderator

Default Posting Large Pics

Can all members please refrain from adding large pics to their posts.

It's thought because of the large amount posted, they may be the cause of the forum hanging.

Robert will be investigating this further when he returns from his Christmas hols.

Thank You.

Tom.
Old 22-12-17, 21:52
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Posting Large Pics

Tom,
How big is 'large' ?
I feel I may be responsible for this 'restriction', after posting 3 images earlier this evening.
However my images are only posted at 1024px wide, with a resolution of 72ppi and they are only ever around 1.3MB in size.
Old 22-12-17, 22:26
Top contributor

I don’t know if this is any help Alan, but in the ‘Rules and Guidelines’ here:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/faq.php?f...aq_forum_rules

it says
Quote:
6) Any images posted in threads should be no more than 800 pixels on the longest side, and less than 200k (204,800 Bytes) in file size, Images posted greater than these limits may be edited without notice. Larger images should be linked to via hypertext.
This may not still be right as you can see from this thread, particularly in post #7:

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150818
Old 22-12-17, 22:27
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laichlea9 View Post
Tom,
How big is 'large' ?
I feel I may be responsible for this 'restriction', after posting 3 images earlier this evening.
However my images are only posted at 1024px wide, with a resolution of 72ppi and they are only ever around 1.3MB in size.
I haven't a clue.

Apparently Robert had made some changes before he went off and Hello_There forgot to ask him what they were.

When the pics are too large they can make it difficult to reach all of the buttons and can sometimes stretch the post.

I'm not sure if the pics Robert has in mind are the ones egg posts in her Click for cancer thread, but there are others which I can't view in IE 11.

I'm not up on the mechanics of the forum, so perhaps a blanket self imposed ban by all members for the time being may help to cut down on Robert's workload.
Old 23-12-17, 00:07
Highly valued member

I find it odd that the current problem happened so suddenly.
One day you could post normally with no sign of it taking 30-40 seconds to review and submit posts; the next day the lagging started.

If it was a simple case of our forums gradually taking longer with time due to escalating data overload, I could then understand this ... but not it happening overnight.

I liken this situation to a dodgy Windows Update. Folk start to think that there's something wrong with their PCs when the fault really lies with Microsoft.

If I'm posting a high resolution photo, I first use my imaging software to reduce its jpeg file size before uploading it to Imgur hosting website.
I can further control the submitted photo viewing size by adding a single letter within the Imgur [IMG] code.

Adjusting Imgur Image Codes to adjust size of posted images

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215942

Also see my post here where I experimented with adding a single letter. ……….

http://forum.webuser.co.uk/showpost....2&postcount=10

Here are all the dimensions and letters to choose from:
• s = Small Square (90×90)
• b = Big Square (160×160)
• t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
• m = Medium Thumbnail (320×320)
• l = Large Thumbnail (640×640)
• h = Huge Thumbnail (1024×1024)

Original Screenshot Code
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxb.jpg[/img

Huge Thumbnail (1024x1024) by adding the letter h
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbh.jpg[/img

Large Thumbnail (640×640) by adding the letter l
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbl.jpg[/img

Medium Thumbnail (320×320) by adding the letter m
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbm.jpg[/img

Small Thumbnail (160×160) by adding the letter t
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbt.jpg[/img

Big Square (160×160) by adding the letter b
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbb.jpg[/img

Small Square (90×90) by adding the letter s
tps://i.imgur.com/oC3KYxbs.jpg[/img

I find that adding the letter l is the best choice in our WU forums.

I highly recommend Imgur for posting images on these forums.

Maybe it's about time the WU forums hierarchy deleted much of the archived ancient posts from way back.

Or seriously considered upgrading the current version of its V-Bulletin software ... though this would be a very tricky time consuming operation.

Spit
Old 23-12-17, 10:32
Global Moderator

Not only time consuming but cost as well.

Robert has already deleted 1,000s of old posts to see if reducing the load that way would help - it hasn't, so he'll next be focusing on the pics.

As egg intends to open a new Cancer thread, then deleting the current one could save some time.

I disagree that egg has been singled out, but her thread is highly populated with large pics - it could also be because of the type of pics - not sure about that, but as for something happening overnight - how many computers have suddenly developed a glitch the same way.
Old 25-12-17, 00:54
Top contributor

Quote:
Maybe it’s about time the WU forums hierarchy deleted much of the archived ancient posts from way back.
I’ve wondered about this too as I mentioned elsewhere
Quote:
One thing I’ve wondered about is very old posts/threads. A few days ago, I carried out a search on the forums, I can’t remember what for now and it doesn’t really matter, but one of the results went back to 2005 with the one above it was in 2007! They can’t have been the only 2 ancient threads here surely! Is it necessary to keep stuff this old? Does it ‘clog up’ the forums or does it make no difference?
If Robert’s deleted 1000s of old posts already, apparently it doesn’t make any difference.
Old 25-12-17, 08:52
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
I’ve wondered about this too as I mentioned elsewhere

If Robert’s deleted 1000s of old posts already, apparently it doesn’t make any difference.
It may not be the actual number of posts but their content - something had to be the final straw.
Old 25-12-17, 10:22
Passionate member

Quote:
One day you could post normally with no sign of it taking 30-40 seconds to review and submit posts; the next day the lagging started.

If it was a simple case of our forums gradually taking longer with time due to escalating data overload, I could then understand this ... but not it happening overnight.
Exactly why the server Admin should be asked what changed on the server at that time which may have caused the problem. Server logs should be available. If I were the admin responsible for the server the first place I would look is what version of php and mysql is now running. For example, most servers will have been updated to the latest version of php, which is currently 5.6. (28 August 2014 supported until 31 December 2018). But vBulletin 3.8.4 (which is what Webuser is running) and lower is known to have problems with PHP 5.3.0 or higher.
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...01#post4039301
Php version 5.3 was retired in Jan 2014.
http://php.net/supported-versions.php
Old 26-12-17, 15:55
Highly valued member

I posted …..
Quote:

Sneakybeaky responded with this …..
Quote:
Exactly why the server Admin should be asked what changed on the server at that time which may have caused the problem. Server logs should be available. If I were the admin responsible for the server the first place I would look at is what version of php and mysql is now running. For example, most servers will have been updated to the latest version of php, which is currently 5.6. (28 August 2014 supported until 31 December 2018). But vBulletin 3.8.4 (which is what Webuser is running) and lower is known to have problems with PHP 5.3.0 or higher.
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/foru...01#post4039301
Php version 5.3 was retired in Jan 2014.
http://php.net/supported-versions.php
and previously posted this …..
Quote:
I suspect that the WUser staff are not programmers and do not have access to the back end software that runs the forum. They probably only have admin (one step above moderator) paying a service provider for webspace on which the forum is hosted and have no access to the mysql database which is probably in need of optimising. This is bound to happen as the number of posts to the forum have increased. Probably the best they can do is ask whoever set up the forum or is hosting it to look at it for them.
Robert has already tried deleting thousands of ancient posts to no effect.
IMO, it is now obvious that the problem does not solely lie with the accumulation of posted images, but with the server.
As SB indicates, server logs should be available for scrutiny by our Server Admin at the time the problem suddenly appeared.
The fact that this problem has been present since the beginning of November without any signs of a fix makes me wonder if the Server Admin is actually actively pursuing the problem.

If the only fix is upgrading the current VBulletin software as SB alludes to, perhaps this is a costly and time-consuming scenario that our WU Forums will not be allowed to undertake. Hopefully, there is a simpler solution.

I don’t post frequently, so don’t find this time lag a big issue. I’m happy to wait and see what develops.

Spit