Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 13-12-17, 20:45
Familiar face

Default Should I "De-partion" my Hard drive?

Hi fellow Web User forum folk.

On purchasing my Samsung Laptop RV510 (Windows 7) a few years ago, I believe I partitioned the hard drive on set-up, into :
Local Disk (C 111 GB and Local Disk (D 165 GB.

Was this correct as (D never seems to be used?

Would I benefit from "De-partioning" (D and allowing (C to use the extra capacity?

Thank you all in anticipation.
Old 13-12-17, 22:21
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Should I "De-partion" my Hard drive?

Not necessarily, I always partition my main drive, the C drive I use for Windows and the installed programmes whilst the 2nd partition (D) I use for my saved files etc.

For example on the PC I am writing on ATM it has a 500Gb main drive, C drive for Windows is around 100Gb whilst D drive is around 365Gb.

(I also have another 1Tb installed as a backup but that another story and not relevant here)

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 13-12-17, 23:19
Highly valued member

If it is an HDD and not an SSD, you may gain a slight speed advantage as you use more disk space since HDDs slow down a bit as they approach full capacity.
Old 14-12-17, 09:49
Enthusiastic contributor

Leave it as it is and move the location of your data directories to the D drive leaving just your operating system and programs on C. That way if you ever need to reinstall your data is safe on another partition even if the reinstall selected includes a reformat of C.
Old 14-12-17, 10:23
Enthusiastic contributor

If you're not using D: there's no point having it, but I suspect you'll have problems "de-partitioning".

I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that to combine both partitions into a single C: drive would involve re-formatting, which would destroy everything on the drive.

You'd have to start by copying all your personal files to an external device like a memory stick and making a note of all your passwords and settings.

This is the point where something usually gets overlooked, and there's no way of getting it back once you've formatted the drive, so take your time and be sure you've covered everything.

I don't know how experienced you are, but in case you don't know, sites like Web User, shopping sites and your bank, places that seem to "remember" you, rely on a "cookie" on your hard drive, and if that's gone (as it will be after formatting), you'll have to re-enter your log-in details, so be sure you know what they are.

You'll also need an installation disc for your operating system.

I've just checked on the Microsoft site and they're quoting £119.99 for a Windows 10 download. I don't know what they'd charge for an actual physical disc.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/stor...qx4bznwk4/1NT3

You could get it cheaper, but be careful. You're likely to have problems if it isn't a "legal" version, so avoid anything that seems too good to be true. Don't buy a disc from "some bloke you met in the pub" for example.

It's probably safer to leave things as they are and to start using your D: partition.

Create some folders on your D: drive, Documents, Photos, Downloads, Music, that kind of thing, and then use "Save As ..." to put any new stuff into the relevant folder. You can also transfer your existing files from C: to D: over time. No need to get it all done today.

I wouldn't recommend a change of operating system except as a last resort, but if you can't afford a Windows disc, or want some "insurance" against a complete disaster, all versions ("distros") of Linux are completely free, but you'll need a working computer to download the .iso file and then create your own installation disc. It's not difficult, and you'll find full instructions on the download site (or ask on the Web User forum).

If you're going to do it this way, you'll need to create the installation disc before you do anything else, while everything's still working properly.

I use Ubuntu (which is a Linux distro), and wouldn't go back to Windows now, but like I said, it's never easy switching from one system to another.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download

Everything's free with Linux, and in my opinion it's vastly superior to anything from Microsoft, but unless you really want to make the switch, it's better to stick to what you know.

To sum up, Linux is an option if you need it (and there are dozens of variations, "distros", to choose from), but I'd suggest keeping your existing setup and using your D: partition for your personal files, keeping the C: drive clear for your operating system.
Old 14-12-17, 13:09
Enthusiastic contributor

Hi Joe

Just for info departitioning a drive without losing data is quite easy using a Disk Partition program such as Easeus Partition master or the Paragon equivalent, particularly as the OP does not have any data on the existing Drive D. Thjey both have a trial version to try it out.
Old 14-12-17, 13:42
Highly valued member

I think Alan Wood makes a very sensible point about retaining D just for data.

Although if you are set on merging partitions there are third party partition managers which allow merging without the risk of Data Loss. My favourite is Easus

I've not needed to partition for a good while so just going from memory but I think with windows you will first need to delete the D partition to free it up and then use Disk management to merge it with C, so although C should be safe anything on D is lost. which is not the case with Easus (or others), although nothing is ever 100% safe and things can and do go wrong. For instance what if you got a power cut in the middle of the operation. You would probably loose everything on the HDD

Because of the possibility of something going wrong I would approach it slightly differently. You say you don't have much on D therefore I would make a new folder on C and put your bit of stuff from D in there. Then I would take an image of C.

Now you can fiddle about with the partitions at will using either Disc management or a third party partitioning software, safe in the knowledge you can always restore C from the image.

NB, I'm always belts, braces and suspenders with this sort of thing so I would take an image using the windows utility and a back up image using something like Easus or Macrium (both free) and don't forget to run off a boot repair disc from both systems first.
Old 14-12-17, 13:45
Highly valued member

@Alan Wood.... Crossed posts I stopped halfway through when my OH brought me a sandwich
Old 14-12-17, 14:43
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
For instance what if you got a power cut in the middle of the operation. You would probably loose everything on the HDD
Just noticed it's a Laptop Still! .. things can go wrong.
Old 14-12-17, 20:17
Familiar face

Thanks Scrimper. Good advice.