Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 26-07-17, 22:43
Global Moderator

Default Re: Reverting back to Win 8.

I may give that Wise Uninstaller a go as long as it doesn't have as many steps to do the job as I found Revo to have.

The main reason I prefer IObit over Revo is the two clicks it just needs.
Old 27-07-17, 11:52
Highly valued member

Hmm! and I think I might give IOBit a go on the strength of your recommendation.

No pain no gain as was said earlier in this thread.

I did download IOBit uninstaller two or three years back but all sorts of alarms went off when I tried to run it. That along with the hoops I had to jump through to not install several secondary embedded PUPs has made me steer clear of them altogether for a number of years but according to recent editorials there has been changes and they have been toeing the line for a while now; so I will look at them again.
Old 27-07-17, 11:58
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart40 View Post
Why not give BC* Uninstaller a spin, Jak ? Can be used from Basic to Advanced Modes with lots customisable in-between.

http://klocmansoftware.weebly.com/

*BC=Bulk Crap
Thanks Stewart, only just spotted your post it being bottom of the other page. That sounds interesting I'll have a look.
Old 27-07-17, 12:23
Global Moderator

If you want to give IObit a go, this site is safe and you don't normally get anything bundled with the download, but as usual, keep your eyes open for any other checked boxes.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...installer.html
Old 28-07-17, 13:17
Highly valued member

Thanks for that!

Funny coincidence the latest issue (507) of Web Browsers sister mag Comp. Active recommends alternative programs to standard Windows Software and Wise Uninstaller is suggested. Quote from the Mag "We all know that Windows' built in uninstaller has a nasty habit of leaving junk behind. Much more effective is Wise Program Uninstaller, which includes a Forced Uninstall option (something that's absent from Windows entirely). It also automatically carries out a deep scan for leftover files and registry entries after every uninstallation. In fact, Wise Program Uninstaller is so powerful that it won Gold in our recent group test on uninstallers."

NB I think I previously said it was called Wise Uninstaller, but I should have said Wise Program Uninstaller, so take care. If you are interested this is the actual site http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-prog...installer.html but of course you may have your own favourite and trusted download mirror.
Old 28-07-17, 15:14
Global Moderator

Does Wise Uninstaller have the facility to uninstall Win 10 apps like IObit has ?

IObit.jpg
Old 28-07-17, 15:41
Top contributor

It's a bit unfair to the Windows built-in uninstaller.
It's down to an individual program's built-in uninstaller, which third-party uninstallers use. Some will remove registry entries,
but some won't. If a program installs entries to the registry one should expect its built-in uninstaller to remove them.
Lazy programmers ?
Old 28-07-17, 15:49
Highly valued member

In a word .. Don't know ... (Oh! sorry that's two words ) As I have never sucked it to see.

I'm not trying to flog it just advising. If I had known Revo now did 64 bit I wouldn't have even mentioned it in the first place. but seeing as I did and have now raised an interest etc.

The Site says suitable for all versions of Windows from XP upwards and I very much doubt CA would be recommending it among a list of alternative W10 programs if it wasn't W10 compatible.... but then????

It also gets Major Geeks 5 star award. There is a portable version so no need to get in deep to try it.

Having said that I'm still going to give IOBit a go as you never know what the waters like until you've dipped your toe in.

By the way in double checking some of this I have noticed that the download direct from the WUS site looks like it could be a cnet mirror. Don't know about you but I'm a bit twitchy about cnet downloads.. Just saying
Old 28-07-17, 16:02
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart40 View Post
It's a bit unfair to the Windows built-in uninstaller.
It's down to an individual program's built-in uninstaller, which third-party uninstallers use. Some will remove registry entries,
but some won't. If a program installs entries to the registry one should expect its built-in uninstaller to remove them.
Lazy programmers ?
Agreed 100% but we are where we are.

Purely because of what you say Stewart I now keep another folder in .. C> All Programs .. Labelled 'Portable Programs'. If there is a portable version I create a folder for it there and unzip it there then put a short cut to its .exe file on the desktop. The portables might take a second or two longer to load but then because I have nothing except essentials starting up at boot the portables sometimes load quicker than the none portables.

When I need to get rid or update a simple delete of the containing folder does it, but it is worth making sure they properly portable first. If not I go for the standard install then something like Revo, IOBit or WUS can get at them.
Old 28-07-17, 16:17
Top contributor

I tend to go for portables, too, although they can be different to use - some run straight from their ZIP, some first need to be dragged to the desktop
& some need to be extracted to a folder - others are just a plain simple .exe file.
Some 'user-friendly' actually auto-update without the need to manually replace their files.