Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 19-01-18, 13:03
Established member

Default Re: Ex-Windows 10 User

Update January 2018

Like a fool, I thought I would give Windows 10 another try, so I bought a Lenovo Desktop machine in August 2017, cost 450.

All went well (I think) until November, when, having shut the machine down on a Friday night, I tried to open it up again on the Saturday morning, and got an error message "Cannot Sign You In - restart your computer" or words to that effect. So I restarted it, only to get the same message again, and again a few minutes later. "I know" I thought, "I will restore it to the previous day" which was working OK. Having recently downloaded and installed the Fall "Creators" Update, I could not find either the Control Panel or the Restore function.

So I decided to do a recovery. All went well for the first 40-odd percent, then it crashed and said it could not recovery the system, as it was corrupted. So I rang Curry's "KnowHow", and after about 20 minutes I was put through to a human being, who talked me through what I had already attempted, then came to the conclusion that I should return the machine to Curry's shop for repair.

This I did, and picked it up 12 days later, to find out that they reinstalled the operating system, which had become corrupt. I took it home, plugged it in, and had to do all the recent updates again, which took about 3 hours. Since then, the number of updates and crashes have come frequently, so today I took it back to Curry's for a refund, which after explaining the problems with the machine, they did without too much fuss. They asked if I wanted to replace it with another machine, and I said, "Yes if you can sell me a new Windows 7 machine", which they said they were unable to do. So I took the refund.

Curry's have been very good with my problems, I must admit, and they seemed quite embarrassed about those problems. But give them their due, when I explained that they had only one chance to repair the machine or offer "Replacement or Refund", they agreed almost straight away.

Perhaps I am just unlucky with Windows 10, but I just cannot help thinking that, every time they have a major update, they just add more "extras" to the OS instead of sorting it out first. If 10 is the last new OS Microsoft will be developing, then I am afraid I will be abandoning they completely. Why they cannot develop a simple easy to use OS without all the bloatware, I just do not know.
Old 19-01-18, 14:11
Global Moderator

And yet there are many thousands of satisfied Win 10 users, otherwise we'd see more people posting with their problems.

You may have just struck unlucky with that machine - for me Win 10 is the way forward, although when I first tried it in 2015, my first thoughts were Never again and swore to stay with Win 7.

In 2016 before the deadline expired, I upgraded this machine and its upgrade went a lot smoother than first time around that later, I used the Assisted Technologies link to upgrade a second machine.

I still have an older Win 7 laptop that will remain with Win 7, but it very rarely gets used.

I've wondered whether I should buy a new laptop that will most certainly come with Win 10, but already having two, it would be surplus.

Perhaps you should try a different brand of machine and give it another go.
Old 19-01-18, 15:45
Established member

Whilst you say there are many thousands of satisfied Windows 10 users, the latest figures show that only 27% of Windows systems are using that OS, two and a half years after launch, against 45% still using Windows 7. Each major update, IMHO, makes Windows 10 even more complicated, adding "extras" that only a few users might need, whilst hiding facilities like Restore and Control Panel which are not obviously apparent as they were in previous operating systems. Yes, you can access these "hidden" facilities by searching using the Command Box, but there really is no point in hiding them.

I have bought and used an Acer Laptop and a Lenovo Desktop in the past two and a half years, both of which were full of problems. Then again, it may not have been the machines, but the OS! And I am not about to throw more money at Microsoft until they come up with a useable OS, which does not need continual updating and does not crash.

If Windows 10 were as popular as some would like us to believe, there would have been a much greater uptake than the latest figures show.

For the average user, a much simpler system would be great; just take out all the bloatware, the apps, Cortana, Settings, and give us back the Control Panel. Even Windows 10S has gone the wrong way, by keeping the apps.

I am pleased that you like Windows 10 and pray that all goes well in the future. Me? I'm OUT.
Old 19-01-18, 16:01
Global Moderator

Ah well

You can access most of what you can't see by pressing the Windows key and typing it then press enter when it comes up.

I access restore points by opening Windows Explorer - right click on This PC and select Properties where you have System Protection in the left pane.

I access the defragger by typing defrag at Start and then press enter when Optimization etc. comes up.

Most of what I have in the right click start menu I have in my Win 7 Start menu, so it isn't too different to Win 7 for me.

I miss having control over Windows updates though and restoring back to before them to resolve the odd problem is a waste of time as they just auto reinstall anyway.

I agree that Win 10 is still a work in progress, but I'm happy with what I have so far.
Old 19-01-18, 18:41
Enthusiastic contributor

I have 10 windows 10 machines of various ages going back almost 10 years and all were XP/Win7 originally. I updated all and have not had any problems whatsoever with Win 10 and although it is slightly different to Win 7 I do not think it is substantially so and a little practice sorts out most usage problems.
Old 19-01-18, 20:57
Established member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrwood View Post
I have 10 windows 10 machines of various ages going back almost 10 years and all were XP/Win7 originally. I updated all and have not had any problems whatsoever with Win 10 and although it is slightly different to Win 7 I do not think it is substantially so and a little practice sorts out most usage problems.
I have had two and a half years of practice and have just ended up very frustrated by the whole system.
Old 20-01-18, 08:17
Highly valued member

Reading the latest issue of Comp Active, it would seem that if you have a 32bit system you are doomed, as all the manufactures are changing to 64bit and not updating anything 32.
Nvidia have just said that they are not going to update any of their 32bit stuff so what with that, and Win 7 being on borrowed time, if you like Windows you may as well "bite" the bullet, get Win10, and find your way round it. Of course other OS are available.
I, personally, having had Windows Vista, 8 and 8.1, and now having Win 10, realise that whilst not perfect, it is far better than my previous Win OS's.
But having recently got hold of an old Win 7 lappy, I can see why it is so popular. I have put "Menu X", on my Win 10 set up for some of the features that 7 and Vista had that I liked in my previous OS, and it works fine for me. Maybe I,m just lucky. Toodle pip.

fosseway
Old 20-01-18, 10:38
Enthusiastic contributor

The only things I dislike about Win 10 are

Compulsory updates (which has improved lately). Sorted by use of an update blocker until I am ready to update. Example In spend lots of time at my caravan and I have to use a 3G dongle. Downloading updates would cost me a fortune so I block updates until I get home.

The stupid Start Menu system sorted by installing Start 10 from Stardock Software costing about 3.50.
Old 20-01-18, 12:37
Highly valued member

[QUOTE=Cantrel;1192244]And yet there are many thousands of satisfied Win 10 users, otherwise we'd see more people posting with their problems....../QUOTE]

Likewise here. The best OS produced by MS so far imho.
Old 25-01-18, 18:34
Enthusiastic contributor

In my opinion, the main reason Windows (all versions) has so many seemingly-satisfied users is because Microsoft won't allow manufacturers to install anything else, and most users aren't aware that things can be changed, whether settings or entire operating systems.

Who do you ask if you don't even know forums like this one exist? I'm sure a lot of people don't.

As well as these, I'm sure there are millions of people "out there" who are aware that there is a free operating system called "Linux", but try Googling Linux and see what comes up. If you get anything at all, it will be things like "100 most popular Linux distros", so how do you choose from that lot?

Why does every new release of every operating system (including the one I use) have to be so much more bloated than the one before? We don't need most of what we had, so why give us even more ballast?

Why do Windows updates take so long? Some time ago I read something about a "compulsory" update of 6GB! How can that be justified? It's a hell of a lot of data, but what's it for? Security updates? Don't make me laugh. It's probably more than the entire operating system.

A friend was recently unable to access the internet for a few hours because Windows 10 decided to do one of these compulsory updates, taking the entire machine over and re-booting several times. What was that about?

Why don't users have a say any more?

Windows 3.11 was installed from 8 little floppies, less than 12MB in total, and that worked on much simpler and slower machines than we've got now. Why can't someone make a basic system like that again for people who don't need all the extras?

The only reason we need ever-faster machines and ever-larger drives is because the systems are becoming so bloated with unwanted cr*p that most people will never use.

There should be a simple GUI system that anyone can use, and a range of software "add-ons" for whatever else may be required, like sound and video, office software, graphics programmes and anything else that isn't essential to the operating system. Buy the features you want without being compelled to overload the machine with ballast that will never be used.

One reason among several why I won't use Windows is because it's spyware. "Remote assistance" seems like a good idea, and I'm sure it's got a lot of people out of trouble, but a friend of mine asked BT for help once, and the person "helping" customised the machine as if it was his own, installing software that would never be used, changing settings and generally screwing things up so badly as to slow the machine to a crawl.

From memory, I believe I was the mug who got the job of trying to salvage something from that.

"Remote assistance" is a backdoor trojan. Spyware in any other setting. I understand the user has to do something (hit certain keys or something?) to allow this spyware to be used, but knowing what we know about Microsoft, this won't be the only "back route" into the machine. Microsoft itself can sneak in, and so can the government.

Windows also has numerous hidden files named index.dat which can't be deleted in any of the usual ways, and which maintain a permanent record of everything that happens on that machine. That's why the police are so quick to take computers if a person is suspected of a crime. It's probably a good thing if the person is a criminal, and if the computer played a part in the crime, but what happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Nowadays you're considered guilty unless and until you're able to prove otherwise.

There's also the attitude, already mentioned in this thread, that you don't own the operating system and other software you thought you'd bought, that it's only "licensed" for your use, on one machine only, and you're expected to format the drive if you pass the computer on to another person because, according to Microsoft, allowing anyone else to use the software you paid for would be "illegal".

Illegal my a***! If I buy something, I'll do whatever the hell I want with it, short of making unauthorised copies or anything else which would be illegal.

Nobody says if I sell a book, or give it away, I've got to have the pages de-inked to prevent anyone reading it, so why should computers be any different?

Just bought a computer you can't use because the previous owner formatted the hard drive, as Microsoft insists we must? Here's what you're expected to do to get it going.

Buy a Windows installation disc. Buy office software. Buy everything else you might need. Buy, buy, buy. It never ends, and according to the likes of Microsoft, you don't "own" anything you think you're buying. It's all "on loan" and you've only paid for the privilege of using it.

With Linux, everything is free. The system itself, office software and everything else you could ever need, even GIMP, which some say is better than Photoshop, though I can't comment on that, never having used it myself.

Linux may not be perfect, but it can do everything Windows can, and it doesn't cost a penny - ever. There are tens of thousands (no exaggeration) of programmes available for immediate download, just two mouse clicks and your password, all kept in safe "repositories", so no risk of dodgy downloads, and totally free in 99% of cases. You don't (normally) even have to re-boot, just install and start using it.

There are very few, if any, viruses for a Linux user to worry about because nothing can be installed (or uninstalled) unless you give your permission by typing your password.

I've got no intention of ever going back to a Microsoft operating system.