Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 16-07-17, 11:39
Familiar face

Default Re: Ex-Windows 10 User

Yes, but why hide it in the first place, totally illogical, unless one works for Microsoft, of course.
Old 16-07-17, 12:25
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy5051uk View Post
Yes, but why hide it in the first place, totally illogical, unless one works for Microsoft, of course.
What are you referring to
Old 16-07-17, 13:04
Top contributor

Quote:
There's customising or personalising to suit different individual likes/dislikes and if it's not obviously or immediately possible
a 'third-party' will come along and no doubt fill the bill - as was for W7.
Old 17-07-17, 03:16
Top contributor

@ Roy

Is that your letter on page 13 of issue 506 of Computeractive? I certainly agree with what was said in it! Nice one if it's you!
Old 17-07-17, 18:23
Familiar face

Cantrel - It was a "Quick Reply" to Bedstor, Post No 3.
Old 17-07-17, 18:25
Familiar face

Stewart 40 - Yes that's fine, but I ask again - why hide it in the first place? It was, IMHO, the most important part of Windows; the Settings in Windows 10 is rubbish by comparison.
Old 17-07-17, 18:27
Familiar face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
@ Roy

Is that your letter on page 13 of issue 506 of Computeractive? I certainly agree with what was said in it! Nice one if it's you!
Madeline - Yes, it was my letter, I wasn't sure it was going to be published in the Mag, so I posted it here as well! Glad you liked it.
Old 17-07-17, 21:38
Global Moderator

Quote:
Cantrel - It was a "Quick Reply" to Bedstor, Post No 3.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 19-07-17, 21:22
Familiar face

Hi Roy,

Like you I have generally been very happy with W7 & no desire to "upgrade" to W10, however for specific uses I purchased two (different) laptops which both came with W10, on the basis I would only use them occasionally and could therefore wipe them if needed and install W7 on them.

However I played with them and found that they are generally pretty stable (except for the obligatory screw up of half the updates because MS have not properly worked them through before release; but then they managed to screw up W7 for a year or two), but they do contain a LOT of junk that has no interest to me plus sooo much that invades my privacy by data gathering etc. I don't let W7 do any phoning home so I was indignant when I saw how much info MS try to steal (its theft if I don't want to release that data) about its user. (Let’s not even Start on the “you don't own this system only rent it” aspect of the User Agreement.)
So because I refuse to be dictated as to how I use my machines or what software I can or can’t use and even more what info I am willing to release and what I'm not; I decided to get to grips with it over a weekend and make it do only what I want.

Classic shell sees it look like W7 thanks very much and “Do Not Spy” or similar switched off much of the telemetry spying. A dive into Services to disable a few other settings and reinforce Do No spy’s work was followed by totally disabling Cortana (which MS said was impossible), ensuring Edge remained dormant and deleting almost every “App” except the store apps....just in case; plus of course working through the settings to turn off the ugliness there including location, inking etc.

After that I installed the programmes I want and the machines are now perfectly useable and every time there is an update I check to see what it is (naturally I use the metered connection function) and then make sure I disable anything I will not allow .

Why did I go through all that trouble? Well simply because I don't want to have an issue with W7 no longer having security updates in 2020 (I think?). When it comes to the crunch that W7 is no longer secure (My W7 Desktop is a high powered personally specked machine for daily use in my business, along with a “out of the box” W7 pc ), I will at least know that either I Can get along with W10 on My terms; or I can bite the bullet and move to a non-Windows OS.

Incidentally, neither of my W10 laptops have yet been offered the CU, possibly because of my tinkering or possibly because they are quite low powered machines (I3 on one and AMD on the other), the page says it is “on the way”, but as there is not a single feature I will use from the CU, I'm in no rush.
Old 20-07-17, 11:54
Familiar face

Hi Shadow

On the Acer Windows 10 laptop I used to have, I tried to have Windows 7 Professional installed, but it was full of problems, specifically drivers. It took my local computer technicians about 2 days, trying to find all the drivers that would work with Windows 7, specifically those that drive the USB ports, so in the end, I had Windows 10 reinstalled, and sold the machine. So beware, it is not always easy to overwrite Windows 10 with an earlier operating system.

That is why I went for the secondhand route, which, so far, has been successful.

I don't really know what I will do come 2020, but I'll probably disconnect my Windows 7 machine from the internet and use a 10" Tablet for internet use. One of my main uses of the PC is for storing photographs, and little bits of manipulation, so internet is not really needed.

Roy