Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security news and updates

Old 24-08-14, 09:00
Highly valued member

Default Re: Lists Of Free Security Software

Hi to you too, John.

Yes, I vie between here and The Squatters to see what`s going on at both sites. Nice to see so many familiar names have crossed over (and I don`t mean have died) to this forum and to Squatters.

It would be nice if Hello_There (Moderator) posted a comment re. having a monthly Security Update thread on this site again which could be part of this "Sticky" thread?
Old 25-08-14, 11:31
Highly valued member

Other useful free security listings can be found at Downloadpedia, along with loads of other software.
Old 14-04-15, 22:37
Enthusiastic contributor

Location: Tasmania - you know that little placed at the bottom of the world.

Thank you for the list ezzyduzzit
Old 15-04-15, 00:28
Highly valued member

Yep - a dedicated security monthly update thread would be better than individual program updates scattered about in the New Posts section.

But please let us not fall into the old CA habit of posting updates for EVERY program known to mankind.
Can I suggest that we stick to programs that are popular and more widely used ... and not all the other rarely used ones that most of us never use or have even heard of.

And, ahem .. we could also do without being bombarded with updates for Beta versions of software .. not a good idea IMO .. as was the case at CA and elsewhere.
I would imagine that most of us, especially inexperienced users, would prefer NOT to be encouraged to test Beta software prior to it being released.

Spit
Old 15-04-15, 06:14
Highly valued member

Quote:
Thank you for the list ezzyduzzit
Zante - you're welcome. I'm happy to see that the pages are still being updated regularly.

Btw it's always interesting when you add a little local colour about Tasmania (or should that be Tassie?)
Old 15-04-15, 07:32
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Yep - a dedicated security monthly update thread would be better than individual program updates scattered about in the New Posts section.

But please let us not fall into the old CA habit of posting updates for EVERY program known to mankind.
Can I suggest that we stick to programs that are popular and more widely used ... and not all the other rarely used ones that most of us never use or have even heard of.

And, ahem .. we could also do without being bombarded with updates for Beta versions of software .. not a good idea IMO .. as was the case at CA and elsewhere.
I would imagine that most of us, especially inexperienced users, would prefer NOT to be encouraged to test Beta software prior to it being released.

Spit
Spit, but who is to decide which programs are most popular and widely used?
Old 15-04-15, 12:22
Highly valued member

Why do we even need an update thread?
Aren't we grown up enough that we know to occasionally check for program updates?
Old 15-04-15, 18:58
Top contributor

Quote:
I disagree. As I've said before in reply to a query from rogerman40
Quote:
We used to have a security thread here too some years ago, but it was decided to discontinue it. I'm not sure about having such a thread again, as it just becomes part of the scenery as it were. A separate post for an update has the name of the program being updated in the title, so may be more noticeable to anyone who has the program in question. They can look at the post or not but, either way, they'll know an update's available. Everyone else can simply ignore the post, unless they're considering getting the program themselves of course, as links will be included in the post where appropriate.
See this post

In the same thread I said
Quote:
The odd thing is that, if I remember correctly, WU had an updates thread before CA did, then we dumped ours, but CA kept theirs.
Peru makes a good point, but sometimes it's useful to know that an update's available where an infrequently updated program is involved as well as it being a memory jogger for anyone who's a bit forgetful!.

If you really want an updates thread as existed on the CA forums, go to "The Squatters Arms" site, there's one there!

I don't think it's ever been regular practice here to recommend or post updates for beta versions of programs. There are occasional exceptions to this of course.
Old 07-01-17, 14:39
den05

I use nod32
Old 07-01-17, 16:43
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by den05 View Post
I use nod32
Is there a free version?

Quote: