Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 08-02-18, 10:41
Highly valued member

Default Can I use C Cleaner to get rid of an MS file.

Last weekend I decided to look at outstanding updates.

There was one 'recommended update' outstanding for MS Netframework 4.5. After a think I decided to let it install as at some time in the past I had installed Net Framework for some software which needed it but now I couldn't remember what it was.

Anyway the update reported as having failed, not bothered that much I moved on thinking I would look at it again at some point.

I have a large, but mainly empty, 'D' partition on my HHD which I reserve for video editing work space when needed.

Yesterday I had cause to go into the partition and I found a file with a 26 character long random alpha numeric file name. It looked like a Window temp update file. I opened it, there were lots of files one of which was a 'set up utility.exe' file. Looking at the properties it was for Netframework and the folder had been created at the time I tried to update.

Now the odd bit, I looked to see if I could find any of NF 4.5 update in programs on 'C' but I couldn't so I decided to see if I could use Revo Pro to target the folder on 'D' and uninstall/remove it just incase.

When I opened Revo Pro (it shows any recent installs separately) and there, in recent installs, was an install of NF 4.5 on 'C' installed at the date and time I had run the update. Looking at the file path it was located inside the earlier version of NF on 'C'. When I tracked down the folder inside the earlier version it was obviously not the full update.

So here is my question can I just delete the folder on 'D' and try the update again, or is it best to run Revo over it and let Reo have a go just in case. On the other hand would it be better to just uninstall everything and anything to do with Netframework and reinstall the whole latest thing from scratch.
Old 08-02-18, 10:56
Global Moderator

Default Re: Can I use C Cleaner to get rid of an MS file.

I'm not sure how that one got into your D: partition but you can delete it and uninstalling/reinstalling all applicable versions of .NET Framework should resolve any problems with them and this article should help with reinstalling them.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...Framework.html

However. I'd first run a sfc /scannow to see if that finds any files to repair because that update should not have gone into that partition.
Old 08-02-18, 12:50
Highly valued member

Thumbs up Re: Can I use C Cleaner to get rid of an MS file.

Thanks!