Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 07-02-18, 15:59
Top contributor

Default Vivaldi and Opera ~ Letters, WU issue 442

There is a letter entitled "Vivaldi and Opera were non-starters for me" from your fairly regular complainant Martin Fletcher of Thorpe Hesley. He complained that Vivaldi has no start page ~ actually it does. This page has various speed dials on it which the user can delete or add to as required. The browser can be set to show this page on opening by going to Settings>Startup where you can set Start Page as your Homepage. The appearance and basic content can be set in Settings>Start Page and changed at any time if required. Alternatively, you can open your preferred page(s) and set them to open when you open the browser ~ Settings>Startup>Startup Pages; either tick "Use Current Pages" or add the relevant URLs.

Setting your start page(s) in Opera is similar. Do it via Settings>Basic>On startup or Settings>Browser>On startup.

As far as bookmarks are concerned, you can easily import them into Vivaldi and Opera as follows.

Vivaldi

Menu button>Bookmarks>Import Bookmarks and Settings...

Options given to import from:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
Opera 12.x
Mozilla Firefox
Opera version 15+
Vivaldi
Bookmarks HTML file
Opera Bookmarks file

Presumably Vivaldi is shown in case there's another installation of it on the PC.

Opera:

Menu button>Bookmarks>Import bookmarks and settings...

Options given to import from:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Bookmarks HTML file

As you can see, both browsers allow you to import bookmarks from Mozilla Firefox, contrary to the claim in Mr Fletcher's email. When I originally installed both of these browsers, I exported my bookmarks from Firefox as HTML and imported them that way.

It's some time since I installed these browsers and I don't remember which boxes I was given the option of ticking, so I can't comment on the remark about security settings.

Vivaldi and Opera both have comprehensive Help menus which give plenty of info about how to use the browser. Just press F1 or go to either

https://help.vivaldi.com

or

http://help.opera.com/opera/Windows/2393/en/

Mr Fletcher said
Quote:
I'm not at all impressed.
From what he's said, I'm not at all surprised! It takes time to get used to anything new and this applies to browsers as much as to most things. You need to find out what features it has, how to set its options to suit your needs and a lot more. If you're not prepared to invest a bit of time and effort in getting to know your new browser, or any other program for that matter, then stay with whatever you're used to.

By the way, I made this post while using Vivaldi!
Old 07-02-18, 16:34
Global Moderator

Default Re: Vivaldi and Opera ~ Letters, WU issue 442

Are you after a mug as well, Madeline
Old 07-02-18, 17:40
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Are you after a mug as well, Madeline
No Tom ~ actually I've got one already! As you may have gathered, Mr Fletcher's attitude really annoyed me. What did he expect anyway? All browsers are different from each other with varying features, otherwise we might as well all use the same one ~ the Umbrella Browser perhaps??

Another thing about this person which I found offensive was in his letter published in issue 441. He sneeringly criticised the award of a mug to a gentleman whose letter in issue 439 was about the Google Home Mini ~ apparently, after reading about it in issue 437, he bought one for his elderly father-in-law who loved it. Mr Tom Howes ended his email by saying
Quote:
...this small grey - and surprisingly affordable - device has opened a new window to the world for someone who the whole family dearly loves. Thank you!
This Mr Fletcher couldn't think why an elderly gentleman might need to wake up in the night, well I can and I'm sure that many people could.

Does the magazine print unpleasant letters like his in order to elicit a response from its readers? If so, just keep an eye on Martin Fletcher of Thorpe Helsey, I've never seen anything from him where he actually likes something!

By the way, just for a change, I made this post while using Opera!
Old 07-02-18, 18:30
Enthusiastic contributor

Got to agree with Madeline's original posting.

Not looked up the other references in her 2nd post sp no comment.
Old 07-02-18, 19:25
Top contributor

Thanks Alan! If you've still got the earlier copies of WU, have a look at their "Inbox" pages and hopefully you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-02-18, 08:12
Highly valued member

As a new user to Vivaldi I agree with what Madeline posted above in post #1 about customising Vivaldi.
Following it`s installation I spent quite some time looking into all it`s facets to become familiar with how it works and what can be changed.

My start page is now one of my liking (https://www.msn.com/en-gb/) which gives me exactly what I want on opening the browser.

A very good browser indeed. Such a shame some complain before trying to get to grips with (any) new program to find out more about it.