Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > General PC-related

Old 29-01-18, 16:35
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Favourites do not open from Taskbar

Good Evening All

We have got a Lenovo laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Just recently a problem has arisen with opening individual Favourites from an icon representing the full favourites list pinned to the taskbar.

When the list is opened from the taskbar and an item is selected it used to open immediately but now all that happens is that IE 11 opens but without the selected favourite showing.

If IE is opened first and then the favourites list opened via the yellow star in the top right corner the appropriate favourite is possible to open. A favourite can be opened successfully also from IE by using the Menu Bar.

This is unusual behaviour as the taskbar system has worked for years without any problem.

Any ideas what can be happening ?

Regards

Roy
Old 31-01-18, 11:23
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Favourites do not open from Taskbar

Just been doing a few experiments on this.

I now find that it is impossible to open an item in "Favorites" from the folder when accessing by This PC > Win 7 C > Users > User > Favorites.

All that happens is that the browser (IE 11) opens but it is blank.

It seems as though the link between the favorites and the browser is not working anymore.

As it is a fairly recent fault I am wondering if a recent Windows Update is the cause - but I have no idea how to begin to investigate that.

I know this is only a small thing but I find it very useful to access favorites from the taskbar shortcut and would like to get it back if I can.

Our other computer is a desktop PC with Win 10 and this problem doesn't show up on it - it works with favorites as it always has done.

Regards

Roy
Old 02-02-18, 01:25
Top contributor

I don't know how to do exactly what you want Roy and I realise these options aren't what you're looking for, but one of them may be useful.

1. Right-click on the Start button, then on Properties>Start Menu>Customize, scroll down to 'Favorites menu', tick it, click OK, Apply and OK and 'Favorites' entry will appear in your Start menu. You should should be able to click on any of them and they'll open in your default browser.

2. In the Search box just above the Start button, type Favorites. The first result should be called Favorites (unsurprisingly) and have an icon which looks like a folder with a gold star on the front. Right-click on this, then on Send to>Desktop (create shortcut). When you want to view a Favorite, click on the icon to open the folder, find the one you want to see, click on it and hopefully it'll open in your default browser.

Perhaps one, or both, of these will work for you. I haven't found a way to pin the shortcut to the Taskbar. If your favourites have somehow been corrupted, what I've suggested won't work.

This thread is several years old, but may be worth a look:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ng-650581.html

For some reason, that link won’t work in some browsers but it worked for me in Pale Moon and IE 11.
Old 02-02-18, 10:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Madeline

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I had already tried No 1. but it didn't work. Have now tried your other suggestion and also the link you provided. Sadly, same result - neither of them work.

In desperation I changed default browser to Chrome and "surprise,surprise" it all worked !! By all I mean the suggestions you made as well as the favorites shortcut on the taskbar.

I also imported my IE bookmarks/favorites from IE to Chrome and they also open from within Chrome now.

I suppose this means that there is a fault with IE but I don't know what to do about it - everything else within the browser works OK and I don't particularly like Chrome so not sure where to go now.

Maybe I will try Avant which I use successfully on the 'family' PC.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Best rgards

Roy
Old 02-02-18, 21:03
Top contributor

You're very welcome Roy. I'm glad you got it sorted in a satisfactory way! When you say
Quote:
I suppose this means that there is a fault with IE but I don't know what to do about it...
I think you're right and I don't know what you can do about it either! I tried making IE 11 my default browser temporarily and the Favourites worked fine, so your IE 11 may well be malfunctioning. The only suggestion I can think of is that you could try resetting IE and see if that helps. You can do this if you go to Control Panel>Internet options>Advanced tab and click 'Reset...' even though IE works OK otherwise. You've got your bookmarks so if you try the reset, make sure you save anything else you need.

This site might be worth a look too:

Repair Internet Explorer

What happens if you try opening your Favourites in IE with no add-ons enabled? Do they work or is it just the same? If you feel like trying it out, go to All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). You'd need to have IE back as your default, temporarily at least, to do this.
Old 03-02-18, 13:27
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Madeline

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

I had already tried resetting my IE - with no success - and I have just finished trying everything with IE without add-ons. Again without success !!

So... I have gone back to Avant as default browser and all works. The strange and interesting thing is that the Avant works with the favorites even when the IE rendering engine is engaged (the version is Avant Ultimate) - I wonder why that is ?

I think this is end of story and the cause will have to remain a mystery.

Thanks again for trying to help me - much appreciated.

Best regards

Roy
Old 03-02-18, 23:26
Top contributor

Hello Roy

You're very welcome for any help I've tried to give you; I think between us we've tried just about everything!
Quote:
So... I have gone back to Avant as default browser and all works. The strange and interesting thing is that the Avant works with the favorites even when the IE rendering engine is engaged (the version is Avant Ultimate) - I wonder why that is ?
I think it's because Avant is a better browser! I've used it in the past, but not at present despite the fact that it's a very good browser. I've always liked trying out different browsers, but I had so many installed it was getting ridiculous! I have to keep IE as it's part of the OS although I rarely use it, it's OK when I do. Mainly I use Vivaldi, Opera and Pale Moon.
Quote:
I think this is end of story and the cause will have to remain a mystery.
If you ever solve this mystery, please post about it to let me know what it was!

Madeline