Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 25-11-17, 20:12
Passionate member

Default Warning!

**WARNING**

CA mag current issue 515 page 43, Readers tips, Download videos feature.

Please be very careful with this, I tried it out just now using the exact url printed, all went well until I went through the convert stage this took ages then when I clicked the download file all hell broke loose!

The whole screen was taken over suggesting that I must update Firefox, The only way to get out was to do Ctrl Alt delete and restart the pc.

On restarting I run an avast scan, a full Malwarebytes scan and cleared all my Firefox stuff via Ccleaner and it seems ok.

I would hate to think what would happen if an unsuspecting person thought it was a genuine firebox update!

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 26-11-17, 06:18
Highly valued member

Default Re: Warning!

Thanks Scrimper, just bought the current CA and had been reading it yesterday and toying with the idea of using that. You may have saved me some headache
with that info.

fosseway
Old 26-11-17, 13:15
Passionate member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossewayfella View Post
Thanks Scrimper, just bought the current CA and had been reading it yesterday and toying with the idea of using that. You may have saved me some headache
with that info.

fosseway
Indeed It was quite scary! I do use Video Download helper within Firefox but sometimes it does not work on particular videos unless you download another app (which I am dubious of doing) so when I saw this in CA It looked to be a good idea.

At first it all looked normal although it did take an age (showing a box converting video) than a download file box appeared to click I did so and the same box appeared again but no file was offered after clicking again a download file box appeared then suddenly the whole screen went blue with orange lettering saying that I had no option but to download an important update to Firefox which I knew was not genuine.

The Firefox headers went and the task-bar disappeared. Task manager would not load or anything, only a restart got rid of whatever it was.

I would not recommend anyone to try this advice printed in CA!

I feel that this forum being associated with CA ought to place a warning about this in a prominent place so that others are aware of this..

At the very least they should print a warning in the next Magazine.

https://sites.google.com/view/lainchburys
Old 29-11-17, 15:40
Established member

Bummer

Meester Chris
Don't all shout at once
Old 02-12-17, 15:39
Highly valued member

That sound like it might be the PUP add-on that installs calling itself 'Safe Search Incognito' trying to get a foot in the door but its an interloper and nothing to do with your browser although it may display your browser's logo at install. I expect it might have attached to the download illegally.

What is does is hijack your searches always returning a Yahoo search page even if your default engine is something else and the returned search will be loaded with lots of its sponsored links.

It seems fairly harmless other than that, but it's b***** annoying when you are looking for a known result but only getting what the PUP wants you to have and via a yahoo only search page no matter which engine you use.

If it is that and somebody accidentally falls for it, look in the browser Add-ons for 'Safe Search in Cognito' and just ditch it. A system restore might be a good idea as well just to make sure it hasn't dropped any of its crap on the way out.
Old 02-12-17, 21:32
Top contributor

It sounds very tiresome. If anyone's picked up 'SafeSearch Incognito', one of these sites may be useful:

Remove SafeSearch Incognito - MalwareFixes

How to Remove SafeSearch Incognito
Old 22-01-18, 18:41
Enthusiastic contributor

This sounds like something I had last week while visiting the Alluc "watch films online" site (I won't give the full URL here in case it's "dodgy").

The malware demanding that I "update Firefox" came from fireerrorfinder.com, and the only way out was to force Firefox to close, using the Linux terminal command

killall firefox

I e-mailed Alluc, but have yet to receive a reply. Perhaps it would be worth blocking fireerrorfinder.com in the HOSTS file to reduce the likelihood of further attacks.
Old 22-01-18, 22:25
Top contributor

Interesting that browsers say that fireerrorfinder.com can't be reached! A dodgy site I think.