Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Feedback & Announcements

Old 10-01-18, 11:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Vivaldi - as recommended by WebUser

Hi Madeline

I have used Opera for quite a long time now and until their latest fiasco with the VPN I was very happy with it. The thing which stirred me to look elsewhere was not that they have a problem with the VPN but the sheer arrogance that they have exhibited in refusing for over 3 weeks now to even respond that there is a problem when there are very many postings about it on their own forum and their own product manager's blog together with their lack of correction to their publicity which still claims the VPN to be fast. Well 1Mb/s max is not fast in my book.

Seems that now that the company is Chinese owned things might be going downhill so time to ditch and look elsewhere. I will keep it however as third choice browser in case of problems. I am so far happy with Vivaldi's performance with a couple of niggles which are probably just familiarity and will fall into place in the near future with more use and practice.

Regarding extensions I only run LastPass, Xmarks, UBlock OriginPrint Friendly and PDF and all of these have installed in Vivaldi without any problem from the Chrome store. Very happy so far and thanks.
Old 10-01-18, 23:48
Top contributor

You're very welcome Alan. Like you, I shall keep Opera because it works well for me. All the same I don't like the sound of what you describe regarding their failure to address an obvious problem - or even to admit that it exists.

I've had Vivaldi for quite a long time now and I've found it to be excellent even when using a 'Snapshot' version, which I do on this PC only - all 3 of our PCs have the stable Vivaldi version though. I'm enjoying learning about Vivaldi - it would be a bit boring if all browsers were the same! I think that browsers are basically works in progress anyway.

It's funny that when getting Chrome extensions in Vivaldi, it says 'Add To Chrome', but in Opera it says 'Add To Opera' - not that it matters as long as they work!
Old 11-01-18, 07:25
Highly valued member

It was nice to see that one of my "article suggestions" from many moons ago had been picked up and used.
Thanks for a very interesting read on a subject that is useful to "Newbies" and seasoned computists in general.

fosseway
Old 11-01-18, 22:24
Top contributor

Are you still using Vivaldi fosseway? I seen to remember that you mentioned elsewhere recently that you were finding it a bit 'fiddly'! It's nice to have reports ad comparisons between various browsers though and it was good to have the article in the mag.