Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 7 help

Old 30-11-17, 20:54
Familiar face

Default windows explorer crash

Hi, for many months now Win Exp fails and closes and reopens when i click a folder on the desktop (its random, can be any folder or none at all), it only takes a few seconds to reopen but it is exceptionally annoying and of course it reorganises any icons on the desktop (files). Looking online this seems to be almost something expected because there are hundreds of reports of it happening for years. Its a longshot but does anyone REALLY have any idea why this happens? (yes I have done all the usual virus / malware checks, run SFC and Windows Repair etc, etc all to no avail) Thanks
Old 30-11-17, 20:57
Global Moderator

Default Re: windows explorer crash

Does Event Viewer report anything for these crashes ?
Old 30-11-17, 23:29
Familiar face

Hi Cantrel,

TBH I've never made much use of the Event Viewer as it seems to have too much there to know where i'm looking and what it referrs to. I've always found MS own fix software to be unhelpful and generally used the web to resolve issues.

Which part of viewer is relevant in this case?
Old 01-12-17, 07:36
Global Moderator

When you open Event Viewer ensure Event Viewer (Local) is highlighted in the left pane - if it isn't then just click on it.

When it has read the data click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

Look for date and time stamped errors for when you experienced this crash.

It's probably better to go into Event Viewer immediately following one of these crashes so they will be easier to find.

Clicking on any will produce more details in the pane below and you can copy & paste any into your reply by then clicking on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane - right click in the reply box and select Paste.

It's the Faulting Module part of the error that can help in diagnosing a problem.

As you have done a repair install if that is what I understood from your opening post, then that would tend to point to something you have on your computer rather than the OS itself, but you can also try this icon cache rebuild batch file to see if that will help -

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-rebuild.html

BTW - I've removed your duplicate post.
Old 02-12-17, 22:13
Familiar face

Thanks for the advice; I will try what you suggest. I have not done a re-install, simply run things like CHKDSK & SFC plus Tweaking.com's Windows Repair.

The issue with Explorer has been randomly happening for maybe 10 months and I have looked for fixes repeatedly since then but unsuccessfully.

In recent weeks I have also developed an occasional (was frequent) Blue Screen with the error code 0x000003b for which I have just found a MS hot fix which I have yet to try as it has not happened for about 5 days.

Around the same time I started experiencing what the web refers to as micro freezing; some programmes seem to stutter and on one or two I can see the "not responding" logo repeatedly pop on and off almost too fast to see. Itís most evident in Solitaire where it does not respond to the mouse clicks for several attempts then works but the whole programme flashes as if itís going to shut then recovers instantly and repeats.

I have used Driver Booster to update all drivers and I have the pc fully patched except for some of the telemetry snooping patches.

Things are not as bad as they were but it is clearly still not right.

Oh, and thanks for deleting the double post
Old 02-12-17, 22:27
Global Moderator

Whenever anything unusual happens, go straight into Event Viewer and check the Error events as I've described.

To see what has been causing the BSODs, download BlueScreenView which will analyse the dump files but if you use CCleaner then that will default remove them, so you will need to open CCleaner and under the Windows tab scroll down to System and uncheck the box for Memory Dumps and then wait for the next BSOD.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
Old 03-12-17, 15:15
Familiar face

Ah! Actually I did try Nirsoft's tool and found no details, which must be because I do use Ccleaner before each shutdown.

The intervals between the bsd events have considerably lengthened or stopped because its only happened once now in the last two weeks whereas it was happening at least daily; now nothing for a week so I will just see what happens with that.

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-17, 15:58
Global Moderator

Event Viewer may still have something recorded if you can remember when you got the last one but you will have to scroll well down until you find the date and time stamps of those errors.

Don't forget to uncheck the box for Memory Dumps before running CCleaner again.