Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 12-04-17, 22:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Issues with 8.1

I have an HP Pavilion pc running 64 bit 8.1 . An SSD was installed when new and all programs were installed on that and the data is all on the HDD. But now I am experiencing strange happenings and I think the system needs an overhaul. I use IE, Firefox, and Chrome for browsers and WLM for my main email program. I am aware of the problems with WLM but I get round it. But if I am on the pc for say half an hour neither Chrome nor IE will kick into gear unless I have used them before and then minimised them.

When they have "locked up" sometimes I can restart and if I can then everything works again. Sometimes even restart won't work and it's a switch off at the wall job.

My question is : Can I use the HP Recovery option that is shown as drive G on my pc or, because the system was altered from day one, i.e. all progs are on the SSD will Recovery try and re-instate the progs on the HDD. As mentioned earlier, my Windows (Drive C) contains all the programs and my drive D contains all my data.

Sorry this is all a bit convoluted and thanks in advance for any help and advice that is given.
Old 12-04-17, 22:44
Global Moderator

Default Re: Issues with 8.1

I've seen it advised that when 8.1 plays up, booting up into Safe Mode and then a restart has resolved, but Event Viewer or reliability history may have something on the browser lock ups.

To check that both the SSD and HDD are fine, download the trial version of HDSentinel and see what that reports for your drives.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

Hit the green download button then uninstall when done to stop the clock on it and then you can run the Application as and when from the Downloads folder.
Old 13-04-17, 06:29
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Cantrel. You come to my rescue yet again. Hope all is well with you. Busy all day today but will try your advice later. Thanks again.
Old 13-04-17, 21:47
Enthusiastic contributor

Although Hard Disk Sentinel looks a complicated bit of kit I did a quick test on both drives and it all looked satisfactory (I think !)

Last edited by Scooby; 15-11-17 at 17:55.
Old 13-04-17, 22:34
Global Moderator

While they both show as Excellent I can't get the pics to expand to read what it says about the SSD on the right pic.

I particularly like that program because it gives a written report for even me to understand

For the browsers, have you tried booting up into Safe Mode and a restart, checked Event Viewer and reliability history yet ?
Old 14-04-17, 09:58
Enthusiastic contributor

I have enlarged the report for the SSD. I hope it can be read now. I have also booted in safe mode and restarted and the problem exists. And I have attached a report from Event Viewer and Reliability History. I hope you can see them properly. That all looks very intensive to me but at least I think it can be seen that the system isn't as it should be.

But I have narrowed the problems down to 3 things. 1. If I am using the pc for say 10 minutes and then try and load Chrome it hangs. Neither IE nor Firefox does that. If I use WLM and then close it and leave it for a few minutes that won't load again either. We know there are problems with WLM but I still refer back there for old emails. Both of these issues are resolved if I restart. I get round it by starting both of these things when I have booted up and then minimise them. They will start back up O.K. if I do that.

The other thing which I think shows that something crept into my system at some stage is that an app. called Drive Manager keeps loading when I restart. This is only the software for an external Maxtor HDD that I use for backups. But the same thing started happening with Team Viewer and Skype, i.e. they were loading on start up. I have been into the respective tools options on both of those and told them not to start when the pc boots and it has stopped it. I just need to do the same with Drive Manager.

I am using Norton 360 by the way.

Last edited by Scooby; 27-05-17 at 21:01.
Old 22-06-17, 12:56
Enthusiastic contributor

I now have another issue. Periodically I get the attached message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen during the boot process. If I continue then some things don't work and so I always restart and then things are fine again.

Could anyone enlighten me, in simple terms, as to what is going on exactly please ?

TIA as usual.

Last edited by Scooby; 15-11-17 at 21:02.
Old 22-06-17, 13:17
Global Moderator

Well Event Viewer may give something we can understand, although they can also be an enigma.

Look for the time stamped errors for when you got that message.

Also, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit

and then see how it performs, but if the sfc /scannow reports it is unable to repair some files, then copy & paste this cmd to an admin cmd prompt and then copy & paste the CBS log into your reply box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This cmd will put an icon onto your desktop which when double clicked will display the CBS log in Notepad.

However, if neither of those cmds resolves and doesn't report anything amiss, then have a read through this article but create a restore point first before making any changes to the registry and disregard any suggestion to use Reimage.

https://appuals.com/failed-to-connec...ndows-service/
Old 24-06-17, 07:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Thank you for that Cantrel and my apologies for the late reply. Very busy here at the moment I will get back to that when it rains !
Old 18-07-17, 22:28
Highly valued member

Cantrel is usually on the money and I'm not suggesting he is wrong, I still like 8.1 a lot for convertibles, which of course is what it was really designed for and in my opinion it is works much better than 10 on that type of kit.

However I find 8.1 can be a bit temperamental, when it does get its knickers in a twist it seems pretty good at sorting itself out but there have been odd times when it hasn't and system restore has then got me back to normal operation. Many people forget that 8.1 still has SR. (Control Panel>Trouble Shooting>Recovery. ... tick the show more restore points box)

Having said that you seem to have been doing a lot of system tweaking so there may have been automatic system restore points created enough to loose you the last good restore point.

It sometimes pays to try all the simple stuff first before getting in deep.