Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Networking and Wi-Fi

Old 11-10-18, 19:40
Top contributor

Question Searching for a stable MTU Value which passes the Ping test

With my Netgear Router DNG 3000 Playing up on connections recently ,I thought I'd inspect the MTU setting which I set up when I first Purchased the Device But instead of being @ 1452 it was showing 1492
I ran a Direct RUN box Ping test using the Instructions on this Dated Netgear support URL (XP generation !) https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Te...Size-on-Router
And It Failed on both of those numbers 0/4 pings & 1/4 pings
So I reduced it to 1432 and got a 2/4 50% ping
Next up tested the Recommended MTU Settings For Talktalk of I think 1432? (again) also 1464 and the 2/4 & 0/4 Results happened again both times
For the record the 1492 setting Scored 1/4 +25%!

Then out of sheer frustration I then reduced the setting to 1400 Pinged that and got a 4/4 100% success Have checked the Speed Test URL and the routers internal Speed indicator and there is NO Change Ditto Ping is the same as before
Maybe the Router is getting tired but Would have to change to a different Router and see how they perform Have a choice of the likes of AOL ADSL routers / another Netgear router (not dual band) a BT Hub 2 and All bar the BT Hub 2 Have been setup/optimized for this connection .
Old 11-10-18, 21:58
Global Moderator

Default Re: Searching for a stable MTU Value which passes the Ping test

TCP Optimizer will do it auto for you but both the router and computer should first be set to 1500.

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

This includes the instructions.

The computer is normally default set to 1500 but to check, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

To change the computer setting using the Idx No. enter -

netsh interface ipv4 set sub interface Idx No. mtu=value store=persistent

The router and computer settings should be the same when done.

Redo the show interfaces cmd to confirm any change you may have made.

TalkTalk's Fibre setting on a HG633 and HG635 is 1500 but for ADSL you can go down to 1400 if needed, so that will be okay for you.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/...U/ta-p/2205407

As routers age, I think the resistance in them can increase which in turn will increase your Downstream Attenuation which will reduce your broadband speed.

Last edited by Cantrel; 12-10-18 at 07:41.
Old 12-10-18, 05:25
Highly valued member

I presume that this relates to Routers that are your own purchase. I unfortunately have a Sky router which I understand cannot be tempered with under threat of death by Sky (only joking Sky).
I have actually wondered if I take it out and put my own into the system, if anything would happen.

Ho PING you might know the answer???

fosseway
Old 12-10-18, 07:40
Global Moderator

I don't know about Sky but when I was on ADSL with TalkTalk I started using my own router as theirs then were little better than door stops.

That all changed when they brought out the HG635 which would hold a connection when the SNRM would drop to 0.1dBm.

I would ask Sky if you could use your own router.

TalkTalk supplied routers allow you to change the MTU and channel settings as well as the security setting.
Old 13-10-18, 18:31
Top contributor

Another Device which can indirectly? also cause MTU/connectivity instability are Live Games Consoles Briefly while I was looking at an unrelated choppy (ongoing) connection issue on the PS4 I did see it had its own MTU Setting value @ 1500 Which I assume is Default (Never been there before) But like the XBox One it is not a Router so why the Setting? ,Any ideas on Remaking it to a smoother Connection Using either A) The TalkTalk ISP value of 1432 or B) The "Working for us" Value of 1400
There is no Network Ping Test possible off the Console settings. Nor does it show up on the PC on Tablet Local Network Detection settings
There is a Thin chance and that is to Link my PS4 to the PC directly using a long 5 metre USB Cable Might be able to inspect something?
Old 13-10-18, 19:10
Top contributor

Just got Timed out on the Last Post
This is the Rest of the Ideas and findings
The Actual Ping test is Different when Using a Local device Have to ID the Device Which like the 192.168.0.1 Link activates the Router menu on mine the Other Device might Be numbered 192.168.0.9 Works like USB Ports order The more network devices fitted running, your Target Number Can be posted as a Different number Depending on the Loading/queuing order on Your LAN Setup Not an easy task to pin it down ! Might also show as a
Unique MAC Code as Devices are sometimes ID'd on networks and Apps
I could find these via using something like this walkthrough but there is still a lot to do afterwards
Old 13-10-18, 21:29
Global Moderator

It's probably best not to have any other devices connected when doing a ping test and trying different DNS servers can also reduce the latency.

Instead of TalkTalk's servers, I use Level3 servers which are 209.244.0.3 and 209.244.0.4

Give then a try to see if you get better figures.
Old 13-10-18, 23:20
Top contributor

Since I posted the last post I did alter the PS4 LAN Link manually to use my Powerline Wi-Fi (homeplug) and the Signal strength is a slightly higher (was averaging 40/45%) and the MTU is now set to a best compromise Automatic not a fixed 1500.>Does not seem to be dropping out as much.
On the Minus side, my current Netgear settings do not appear to have an Automatic Setting for MTU (Have had it on other routers)
Old 15-10-18, 00:08
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedstor View Post
Since I posted the last post I did alter the PS4 LAN Link manually to use my Powerline Wi-Fi (homeplug) and the Signal strength is a slightly higher (was averaging 40/45%) and the MTU is now set to a best compromise Automatic
For the record the PS4 Signal strength is now a healthy 95 to 100% depending on the Load on the LAN . Am very happy with that