Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Notices

Old 01-02-18, 12:45
Global Moderator

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

Yes, the HG633 does have fold away feet, but if you have a trouble free Fibre connection - wonder what problem TT were saying, unless it was a belated email and they'd already resolved it.
Old 01-02-18, 16:27
Passionate member

The internet and wireless lights randomly switch on and off, but it doesn't seem to affect the BB. I assumed it was part of the speed optimisation process.
Old 01-02-18, 17:38
Global Moderator

Yes, mine do as well - even now and I've had the 38Mbps package quite a few months now.

That's normal.

Have you checked to see which is the best channel for you yet ?
Old 01-02-18, 22:30
Passionate member

Not yet. I've had to repair our downstairs lights because a decorator took some wall lights off and then put them back again, blowing a dimmer and a couple of sockets. I'll probably try tomorrow if I can get the damaged lights back on.
Old 01-02-18, 22:46
Global Moderator

I'd call back the decorator back and demand he gets them fixed.
Old 02-02-18, 20:18
Passionate member

Yes but decorators as hard to find as good electricians electricians here. I can DIY it better!

My Inssider scan looks OK to me but I'm not too familiar with it. It says thee are 2 Co Chanels but no overlaps. I'm on 1 and most of my neighbours are on 11, with some on 2,3,5 and 6. The occasional dips in the blue line coincide with the Internet/Wireless lights flicking off.

I'll speak to TT tomorrow about new email addresses.
Old 02-02-18, 20:30
Global Moderator

I'm unable to make out any details from your pic but if it's set to auto in the router, then that can change so you would never know what channel you are on.

However if those on 2 and 3 have signal strengths of -72 or greater then they shouldn't cause you any problem.

What does the Link Score give for your channel 1 ?
Old 03-02-18, 00:39
Passionate member

Link Score is 71. My signal strength is -48 dBM and all the others are -74

Old 03-02-18, 08:41
Global Moderator

That's quite low for a Link Score - try channel 6

With 1 or 2 co-channel and 2 over lapping mine is in the 90s and I've never seen it drop below 86 when checking, although it really depends on the co-channel ones and their varying signal strengths.
Old 05-02-18, 14:43
Passionate member

Just an update!
At times my co-channels increase to 5. Next door is on 11 and there is a residential caravan site 250 yards away broadcasting from 3 routers that seem to alternate between 1,6 and 11 - sometimes all 3 on ch 1. A speed test shows Ping between 10 and 16 but download speed constantly around 17-18 Mbps and upload 6.1 Mbps. I've seen Line Score go down to 50! TT say wait for the 10 days for them to optimise my signal before running the test.

Also, I can't get into the router to change the channel. The HG633 doesn't accept admin/admin but I can't find anything that gives me the username and password. None of the names & passwords on the router or documentation work. A Google search shows this is not an uncommon issue and maybe a Reset will restore the defaults, but I'll have a word with TT before doing that as I can't find out what the defaults are! The website says they're on the sticker at the back of the router, but warn you not to confuse them with the Wireless password though there is no other pw on the sticker.

I'm getting 3x faster speed than I did on BT ADSL for less money, but I would be disappointed if I couldn't get at least 30Mbps.
I'm sure it doesn't help that although the fibre runs past the end of our cul de sac, there's 100 yds of copper to the house and probably more to the box as I have not noticed one nearer than about 400 yds so I guess it's all copper from there.

My euphoria about original ease of connection is waning a little, but I'll persevere.