Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 14-01-18, 15:56
Global Moderator

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

You can pay up front for your TT rental as well which will give you a discount, but I think it's only for 12 months whereas a contract can be for 18 months - 2yrs.

My current one is for 18 months but can't remember when it will expire.
Old 18-01-18, 12:51
Enthusiastic contributor

its about time that BT or whoever was stopped this extortionate charge for a phone line tbh.

What else do you buy then pay a rental on top if you don't use the product ? We pay electricity and gas as we use it.

How many like me are being fleeced for this amount of money just to have the broadband internet in the house ?

Can the mobile phone companies not find a way to supply home and mobile broadband as a package ?
Old 18-01-18, 15:55
Global Moderator

A few years back my brother used to have his mobile phone plugged into his computer but I don't think the speeds were very good.

You could see what EE have to offer.
Old 18-01-18, 16:49
Passionate member

I'm just changing from BT "up to 12Mbps" (actual 5-6 except at poular times when it goes down to 1) to Talk Talk unlimited at 29-39 Mbps and getting new mobiles on EE as that gives the best coverage on the Fylde. Carphone Warehouse offers Unlimited Calls, Texts and 1 Gb 4G Data with a Nokia 6 or a Samsung J3 (2017) for 17.99 or of course an iPhone 6 for 25-70 with the same 2 yr deal. The Nokia and Samsung are unlocked so you can switch SIM's if you buy outright. The EE site offers the same deal but the phones are locked to EE.

However if you buy online from such as e2save.com you can get the same deal as Carphone Warehouse but with a 5.99 per month cashback, but you have to pay 17.99 then apply for cashback by going onto their site every month for 2 years to download your bill and send it back to them within 60 days of each billing date so they can send you a cheque for 5.99. I guess that's just to prove you visit regularly so are open to further offers. Seems like a lot of hassle - you can only send one bill ata a time. If, like me, you have never had a smartphone before, you can always call in to Carphone for help whereas if you buy online, you can only telephone if you get stuck or have a problem.

e2save will give you an iPhone 6 for 17.99 without cashback.

Buying a phone is a maze that I have avoided thus far, so I'm not looking forward to the learning curve!
Old 31-01-18, 17:50
Enthusiastic contributor

If my experience with BT is typical, all I can say is DON'T. Don't even think about it. Their advertised charges are pure fiction, and their "superfast" fibre is hardly better than dial-up.

I've just spent nearly two hours downloading a film at 300 kilobits per second, and I'm wondering why I'm paying for fibre.

I'm about 2 miles from the exchange, and BT's cabinet is just outside, perhaps a hundred yards/metres from where I'm sitting.

I don't use a mobile except for emergencies. That's a Tesco P-A-Y-G that cost me 2.99 a few years ago, and all they ask is that I make one chargeable call every few months to keep my credit. I can't even remember when I last put a tenner on it, and it hasn't let me down so far.

As for BT, I hardly make any chargeable calls, perhaps ten a month to BT lines in the next town and seldom more than a couple of minutes, but my total bill is well over 50 every month. That's well over 600 a year, and for what? Very slow internet and a 'phone line.

I understand they charge a "penalty" if you cancel once they've automatically "renewed" your contract for another year, but they don't say when this is about to happen, so you're lumbered. It's time someone challenged this particular malpractice through the courts, but I'm not a millionaire, unfortunately.

If you're not already with BT, the best advice I can give is to choose someone else.
Old 31-01-18, 18:49
Passionate member

I'm due to change from BT to Talk Talk tomorrow 1st Feb, but they can't say what time so TT says wait till 2nd to set up. Probably lose everything tomorrow!

Pactically no instructions - just a card with the security code so we'll see.
Old 31-01-18, 21:10
Global Moderator

That's strange - I got a booklet when I first started with TT as it had my broadband password in it.

Have you received your router yet ?

Their routers are pre-configured so it's just a case of plug 'n play except for putting in the wireless password to connect to your SSID - however, if you get a HG633 router, the router log in password which is on the back of the router is specific to that router - they've moved on somewhat from the old admin admin combo.

You may want to log into it to change the channel setting from the default auto to a specific channel after checking those around you with inSSIDer3.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
Old 31-01-18, 21:58
Passionate member

The router arrived a few days ago with a power cord/transformer, an ethernet cable and a couple of filters. It is a HG633. There are just a few pictograms showing the router connected to the telephone socket via a filter or to a prefitered socket. The WPS button is mentioned but just for activating TT Powerline adaptors. The wireless password is on a sticker at the back and on a loose business-card sized card so I suppose that's all there is to it.

There's a USB socket on the back of the router but I don't know what that's for.

It says that if you are having trouble setting up, visit TalkTalk.co.uk/help for articles and videos, but I'm not sure how you do that if you have no broadband! However, I don't expect problems.
Old 31-01-18, 22:51
Global Moderator

Good point about visiting that website when having no broadband

Their CS phone number is 0870 444 1820 which is free for TT customers.

It's usually pretty seamless - are you on ADSL or one of their Fibre packages ?

On ADSL it's best not to switch the router off for at least 10 days as the DSLAM has a training period while it assesses the quality of your line.

If it's good then it will eventually drop you down to a 6dB profile to give you the fastest stable speed possible for your distance from the exchange.
Old 01-02-18, 11:41
Passionate member

Well that was painless so far. B T router cut out so I connected the TT one, entered the wireless password on my laptop and I had fibre broadband! Still got to connect my wife's laptop, my desktop and printer. It took a minute or two to realise that the router feet were locked in the folded position until you turned the power on!

The first email I received was from TT saying :

We're just letting you know we've come across a problem getting your services up and running, but we're doing everything we can to get this sorted.

Don't worry, there's nothing you need to do. We'll let you know as soon as we can if this will affect your go-live date.

so bubble a bit pricked, but I live in hope.