Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Notices

Old 12-07-17, 16:00
Familiar face

Default Uupdating Android, pros & cons?

The article about the next Android update ('O') which is due soon prompts me to ask if I should update my two devices. One has ('N')Marshmallow, which updated automatically from ('M')Lollipop, the other has Lollipop. Will the update take up more (limited) storage space, or have other drawbacks? What are the benefits likely to be?
Old 13-07-17, 04:21
Highly valued member

Default Re: Uupdating Android, pros & cons?

The details of "O" , other than it is likely to be "Oreo", as in bisquit are, as far as I am aware, unknown at present.
I would suggest that you leave your phones as they are until there is more info. Even then upgrading straight away is not always the best idea, IMHO, in case there are any problems.

fosseway
Old 14-07-17, 06:56
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayto2 View Post
The article about the next Android update ('O') which is due soon prompts me to ask if I should update my two devices. One has ('N')Marshmallow, which updated automatically from ('M')Lollipop, the other has Lollipop. Will the update take up more (limited) storage space, or have other drawbacks? What are the benefits likely to be?
FYI Android N = Nougat and Android M = Marshmallow, the clue is in the letter, they're alphabetical.

Usually, devices under 2 years old will upgrade* to the latest version of Android and if the prompt comes up, I'd urge you to upgrade as you will receive the latest security patches, upgrades can improve battery performance and mobile & WiFi range.

Alternatively, you could look at rooting and use a custom ROM.

*subject to your device manufacturer
Old 15-07-17, 18:32
Familiar face

Thanks, I dont know why I got the letters mixed --- I must have posted it late at night. It was the automatic, unannounced, silent update Lollipop to Marshmallow which surprised me. My Windows is set to update automatically as MS prefers, but there is such a song and dance, it is not going to happen unnoticed.

I have no reason to want the Android updates, unless they have something beneficial to offer (such as improving the option to move apps to the SD card). Rooting is something I have decided not to do.
Old 16-07-17, 18:21
Familiar face

'Something beneficial' --- that has just reminded me that one thing I cannot do with either version of Android is install Cortana. It has supposed to be available in the UK for some months, but perhaps this only appiles to the current version: Nougat? That is something which could make updating worthwhile for me, though I intend to take the advice not to rush into it.
Old 17-07-17, 05:40
Highly valued member

Clayto2,
Have a read of this it might help.
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1405...u-need-to-know

fosseway
Old 17-07-17, 20:22
Global Moderator

Link for Cortana, if you're signed into your Google account it will tell you if the app is compatible with your device.
Old 02-08-17, 17:50
Familiar face

I have now had a clear notification that Cortana is not compatible with my 6.1 Marshmallow device so that will rule Lollipop out too. Maybe I will get it if I update to 8 'O'. Will I have to update to 7 first? Are updates usually larger than the OS they replace?
Old 19-08-17, 11:46
Highly valued member

Do you actually want Cortana for its assistant features or just for voice control.

If the latter there are 2 or 3 ways of doing this on older devices which do not already have voice.

My present phone has it but I don't feel I have need so have rarely used it and consequently have never tried the available options on other devices we have or have had to install voice, so can't really say if good or not.

But this seems to be the most popular way and it is a Google apps on the play store so should be ideally tried and tested on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ceaccess&hl=en

Plus installing apps to card without root: It is possible, I've done it but a long time ago round about Android 3 era but after a quick coat of looking at the method to check if still viable, the software looks pretty much the same as best as I can remember it.

You would need to install the Google/Android SDK (software developers kit) and the JDK (Java Developers Kit) to a computer and install them. Then basically you use your computer to control the install of of Apps to the SD Card by changing the Android OS installion values, similar to changing registry values on a PC . It is a long winded way of doing it but then no longer and much less risky than rooting without also compromising Android's inbuilt security in the way that rooting does. As said I have done it but when Android was in its infancy and it did work. Never the less if I were you I would research it a bit on Google and see if there are any negative experiences reported. The Android Authority site was always a reliable source of info for me but it was a long time ago.

Full instructions here if interested.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...rooting-44239/
Old 28-08-17, 15:30
Familiar face

I am interested in Cortana not for the voice control (which I have not even got working on my Windows 10 device yet) but for two main things: 1. assistance eg. reminders, launching apps and OS tools, integration with Insights in Sticky Notes, searching, local info, etc 2. syncing between my devices, my Windows phone, PC, and two Androids

I see ORIO has launched, I have not read much about it yet as I expect it will take some time before it reaches the UK outpost.