Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 15-10-17, 17:29
Familiar face

Default How safe is Kaspersky?

In view of the drama in USA regarding a breach in their software, how safe are we as private users of this popular Anti-Virus software? Should we abandon it and revert back to Norton or Mcafee?
Old 15-10-17, 18:37
Top contributor

Default Re: How safe is Kaspersky?

Kaspersky denies all allegations about them.Users seem happy.

I use Avast Free and it is a personal matter that I will not have Kaspersky on my computer.
Old 15-10-17, 19:36
Top contributor

I use Norton, but Kaspersky would be my choice if for any reason I decided to change. Kaspersky is an excellent program and I've seen nothing anywhere which would make me get rid of it if I was already using it. I doubt very much if using a Kaspersky product is any less safe than using a similar product from the US or any other country. People will get rid of Kaspersky due to anti-Russian prejudice rather than because they think their security is at risk from using it.
Old 22-10-17, 21:38
Established member

What is the problem with some people not wanting Kaspersky on their computers. Ive used it for many years and it is rated very highly by both CA and WU. Interested to know why all the negativity surrounding this company!
Old 22-10-17, 22:12
Top contributor

Quote:
What is the problem with some people not wanting Kaspersky on their computers.
It's partly because Kaspersky is Russian and also due to the stuff in the press recently as you can see in the following threads:

The Russian company that is a danger to our security - Web User Forums

McAfee joins the anti-Kaspersky witch hunt in s****y attempt to sell a few boxes - Web User Forums

'Russian spies used Kaspersky software' - Web User Forums

Personally, I'd take all this anti-Kaspersky rhetoric with a very large pinch of salt"
Old 23-10-17, 06:45
Highly valued member

I have tried several Av's over the years and I find that Kaspersky is the best.Most of the ones I tried were free versions so they were limited in their applications and some had "nag" ads that kept popping up at frequent intervals.
I have now used Kasp AV for several years and currently run "Total Security 2017" paid version.
It has lots of tools within it's set up which I find very useful and I use their "on line" help desk if I have any queries and I find their advice very useful, prompt, helpful, gave me the advice I needed, and followed up by sending me an e mail giving me a written version of the advice given. My last question was now the 2018 version is on sale, does the daily auto update, update my 2017 version to 2018 or do I have to manually do this. An idiots guide was sent as I spoke to the advisor, on the procedure to obtain the 2018 version.

Your AV of choice is a personal choice on whether you trust the product and only you will know that. If you have a fear it is going to "spy" on you, then you have answered your own question. Personally I felt that if they wanted to know what I have in my computer or what I had for breakfast, etc, they are welcome to it. As long as I get good protection I'm happy. GCHQ are just as likely to be using something which is checking me out. Hi guys, how you doing? Just had my porridge and prunes and cholesterol drink and just having a natter on Web User Forum as you can see.

fosseway
Old 23-10-17, 19:43
Top contributor

Well said fosseway!
Old 23-10-17, 22:03
Passionate member

Those who are quick to condemn Kaspersky for ‘spying’ on them probably do not realise that most, if not all, effective AV programs will send data back to the AV servers in order to protect client’s computers.
Quote:
When an antivirus finds a “suspicious” file, it wants to send that file to the antivirus manufacturer so it can be examined for malware. The antivirus company can analyze the file and produce a virus definition to defend against the malware. This doesn’t just apply to executable files. Your antivirus may also send your personal documents to the antivirus company. For example, if you have a business document in Word format and the antivirus thinks the document is suspicious, it may send that document to the antivirus company. This means your antivirus company may be getting its hands on your sensitive documents.
This is the price you have to pay if you want virus protection. Are the USA agencies too thick to understand this?
If everyone turned off the reporting back of data none of us would be protected.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/antivir...rprised-sends/
Old 23-10-17, 22:19
Top contributor

Quote:
Are the USA agencies too thick to understand this?
Erm........no comment!!

Old 24-10-17, 13:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Being a scrimper I obviously don't want to part with cash for something that I can get for free so I use Avast, however if I did buy anti-virus software I would buy Kaspersky for sure.

I don't 'buy' all this anti Kaspersky rhetoric from US companies, The US does not actually have a brilliant record on online privacy (ask Edward Snowden and Julian Assange).

Google spys on us a lot more than Kaspersky ever does IMHO.

Kaspersky does offer a free version now however I think it might be somewhat limited.