Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 15-09-17, 19:04
Top contributor

Arrow Now have no MRST updates in recent months(No changes made!) Still good though!

Up to a month or 2 ago (can't say when) I received the MRST updates and Flash too. But as of this date Windows 10 only give me the KB Cumulative Security monthly update only on the Patch Tuesday,with Flash showing sometimes as a Prompt install separately but guessing it's bundled in the Chrome Update
As for Java that has not shown in a long while (also being phased out)

Only Update cover against Malicious URL's we have now is Spywareblaster (manual) and Windows Defender.(updates daily)
So the question is has the MRST become a redundant feature with Windows Defender covering the angle?
With the MRST still being issued to the supported older OS's such as Windows 7 and 8 and "higher" and for a limited time on upgraded machines ?
The Wiki for the MRST app does not say anything about it

I also think Spywareblaster is now fast becoming irrelevant for Windows
Why? I hardly ever use Internet Explorer now always Edge. But Edge never has shown in the Spywareblaster definitions list , relies instead on the daily Windows Defender definitions batch update and when has the Chrome or Firefox sections been updated?
Old 15-09-17, 20:38
Top contributor

Default Re: Now have no MRST updates in recent months(No changes made!) Still good though!

If you RUN mrt what date is shown for it ?

I get Sep. 2017 for both pre/post CU versions.

I didn't d/l for W7 & so get, "A more recent version of the tool may be available:....."
Old 15-09-17, 21:09
Global Moderator

Default Re: Now have no MRST updates in recent months(No changes made!) Still good though!

In Update history, scroll down to the bottom where there should be a right pointing arrow - that's where the MSRT updates can be seen.
Old 15-09-17, 21:18
Top contributor

Quote:
I didn't d/l for W7 & so get, "A more recent version of the tool may be available:....."
It is - it's the Sep 2017 version on all 3 of our PCs.

I still use SpywareBlaster. I don't use IE much, but SWB also provides protection for other browsers which I use - not Opera though. SWB is updated fairly regularly. More info about which browsers it protects:

SpywareBlaster® | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.
Old 15-09-17, 21:24
Enthusiastic contributor

Last edited by lizzygraham; 15-09-17 at 21:53.
Old 16-09-17, 01:25
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzygraham View Post
I have a White page for the History (Not Black as in the Quote)and its showing the Quality updates list only. No MRST or anything else
Old 16-09-17, 03:48
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedstor View Post
I have a White page for the History (Not Black as in the Quote)and its showing the Quality updates list only. No MRST or anything else
Update on my other PC the MSRT updates are listed ( in Other Updates)and that's it
Both machines are Windows 10 Home and they do not seem to have any way of hiding a subsection there. What's the point?
Old 16-09-17, 08:11
Global Moderator

I have Win 10 Home and described from what I have.

As you don't appear to have that, try a manual download of MSRT.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...spx?q=kb890830

The second one down is for Win 10 x64bit.
Old 16-09-17, 08:45
Enthusiastic contributor

If you prefer the Dark background ‘mode’, go to Settings > Personalisation > Colors > Scroll down to 'Choose your default app mode' > select Dark.
This will change many ‘Universal Windows Platform’ applications to the Dark Mode.

To activate a dark mode in Edge Browser, open Edge > Settings and more > Settings > Choose a theme > Dark.

Old 16-09-17, 19:22
Top contributor

Just spent half an hour on the Updates log(and associated settings) and It refused to display the Other updates subsection
Will have to lump it...Only place I know [for sure] I can inspect the version number details is in the Registry AKA Regedit Via KW Regedit> Run box, though Windows 10 does have 1 other way in beside the Classic Run Box entry point
Lifted this from the MS support page

Quote:
Open Registry Editor in Windows 10

This is one way to open Registry Editor in Windows 10.

1 In the search box on the taskbar, type regedit.

2 Select the top result, regedit Run command.

This is another.

1 Right-click Start*Windows logo/Start button, then*select Run.

2 Enter regedit in the*Open: box and select OK.
All I do from here is make up a keyword such as eg Malicious and see what shows, moving to the next item (if possible?) with the F3 key.
TIP: Works with partial keywords too but takes longer and you'll end up on a wild goose chase with "false flags"
Don't forget , for best results here you must be Precise. MRST won't work neither W*ld cards