Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Web User magazine feature suggestions

Old 18-05-18, 17:10
Top contributor

Lightbulb Powerbanks, do you use these devices and what Capacity Spec?

I heard people using a device called a Power bank for recharging their Tablet, Mobile phones ect.
I checked Argos out and there's a Big range of devices shown ,but despite the Prices being all over the place (mostly cheap) the Capacity is a minimum 1500 mAh's up to an impractical 50K mAh

I have found that they are being stocked by the "Pound shops" I brought 2 and Tested them out on a budget Tablet with an almost flat battery whose wall charger barely supplied any power But I added the Cheapo power bank to that device and within 2 hours it indicated "full charge" ... Reversed the Power cable so the Power Bank charged the Tablet and despite it being a 1600 mAh capacity it showed 17% on the Indicator (enough for an Hour or 2 use) So If you cannot "charge" directly off a PC's USB port this makes a good Compromise

Friend of mine showed us his Power Bank (ex B&M)>Goodmans this was an 8000mAh device and even half charged would fully Charge his Samsung Tablet to 100% after an hour or so Cost was 16 Pounds
Longevity? You tell us, I've a "Keep 1 on charge ,and top up as needed" policy

Rather Good Walkthrough Guide here https://powerbankreview.com/
Only Thing Not everybody tells you What is the fitted batteries mAh Capacity? From what I read on the Spec leaflets It is Not always revealed.
Also it says in this article : Do Not buy Used

There are Also USB Solar Panel Chargers/power banks Which are on sale in the US But Never seen them in UK These are mostly rated at high output mAh's
Old 19-06-18, 18:33
Top contributor

Default Re: Powerbanks, do you use these devices and what Capacity Spec?

As regard charging points choice USB or Mains , my brother Charges both his Phone and powerbank fast using the USB socket on a PS4 (where the controllers are fitted)

2nd on the List is any PC Tower (which I use)

As regard those 3rd party mains plug chargers they are very weak trickle chargers and prices are anything up to 20 Pounds Only discovered this after a few hours use. and the Example I have often "Trips out" after a few minutes thinking the powerbank (or Tablet) is fully charged . Sometimes puts a few percent of charge in, but rarely goes the full distance !
I am glad I have not got a dedicated charger with a fancy Non standard Charge cable /plug end fitted