Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 24-06-18, 01:07
Top contributor

Default Recover accidentally lost messages

Have you ever had the very annoying experience of typing a message somewhere maybe in a forum or an email and lost it because either the browser crashed or you accidentally closed the wrong tab? When this happens, you may have to start all over again and it's so infuriating! This happened to me yesterday for about the umpteenth time, so I went to the Chrome Web Store and found this add-on:

Typio Form Recovery - Chrome Web Store

Typio Form Recovery records what you're typing and if disaster happens, it will recover what you've written so far. It puts an icon on on a toolbar and another small one in the text area. When you check the saved details by using Typio's message area icon, you're also offered the option to 'Copy to clipboard'; this is in addition to what it already does, not instead of it. Text is saved for 7 days by default, but you can change this in the add-on's Options.

It works in email ~ I've tried it out in Outlook Email, Gmail and BT Yahoo Mail and it's fine in all of them; it even appears when you're logging in but only for your email address, not your password. Another Chrome add-on which seems similar is this one:

Text Input Recover Extension - Chrome Web Store

As well as in Chrome, both of these add-ons will also work in Opera* and Vivaldi. *Opera needs to have Install Chrome Extensions installed to do this. For Firefox users, it may be worth checking out Textarea Cache:

Textarea Cache Add-ons for Firefox

I don't know anything about either Text Input Recover Extension (TIRE) or
Textarea Cache as I'e never used them. I've had Typio for less than 1 day too and so far it seems fine, it does what I wanted it to do ~ records text and recovers it if necessary as I've established already by testing it! Saved text will still be there even after the browser is closed and re-opened, although you can delete it whenever you want to - you don't have to wait for 7 days.
Old 25-07-18, 13:43
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Recover accidentally lost messages

Good Afternoon Madeline

Have tried the Typio add-on but don't really like it. Please can you tell me how to remove it from the computer altogether rather than just disabling it ?

Best regards

Roy
Old 25-07-18, 15:00
Top contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddybear View Post
Good Afternoon Madeline

Have tried the Typio add-on but don't really like it. Please can you tell me how to remove it from the computer altogether rather than just disabling it ?

Best regards

Roy
Sorry, you do not like Typio. I have found it useful.

To remove it try right-clicking and select remove. This works on Chrome
Old 25-07-18, 17:00
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for the reply FratPark.

Right clicking did not give an option to 'remove' - I have managed to disable it through the settings, but wonder if that actually removes the add-on.

I don't have Chrome as such but am using Avant browser with the Chrome rendering engine - not really sure how this affects things.

Regards

Roy
Old 25-07-18, 21:18
Top contributor

I don't know how you would remove it in Avant Roy. I'm using it as a Chrome extension in Opera and Vivaldi. In Opera extensions, I would simply click on the 'X' in the top right hand corner of the entry in the extensions list and this would remove the extension; in the Vivaldi extensions list, I would click on the Bin icon which would remove the extension. The following article from How-To Geek is about removing extensions, but I don't know if it would be of any help where Avant is concerned.

How to Uninstall Extensions in Chrome, Firefox, and Other Browsers
Old 26-07-18, 14:57
Enthusiastic contributor

Hello Madeline

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have followed the How-to-Geek link and got into my chrome extensions page.

It is easy to disable the extensions but when trying to remove them all I get is a purple page which indicates there is a problem and invites me to reload the page. Doing this just restarts the whole process.

There are other extensions as well as the Typio one (most of which I don't remember putting in !!) and they all behave the same way.

I suppose with them disabled then that will have to do

Regards

Roy
Old 26-07-18, 23:05
Top contributor

Hello again Roy

I don't know what else to suggest, but this
Quote:
It is easy to disable the extensions but when trying to remove them all I get is a purple page which indicates there is a problem and invites me to reload the page. Doing this just restarts the whole process.

There are other extensions as well as the Typio one (most of which I don't remember putting in !!) and they all behave the same way.
sounds a bit strange to me. I'm surprised that you don't have the 'bin' icon to get rid of extensions - it's a long time since I used Chrome, but I'm sure it was there and it's the same in Vivaldi. Apart from uninstalling Avant completely and doing a clean re-install, which is rather drastic, the only other thing I can think of to do is that you ask about it on their forum:

Avant Browser Help - Avant Browser
Old 27-07-18, 09:50
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Madeline

Despite several attempts to register on the Avant forum I have never managed to achieve it - it is about the only downside of Avant for me - and so I cannot ask a question directly to them.

A search does mention some issues with chrome extensions but nothing relating to my specific problem.

I can get to the 'chrome extensions page' through Avant but there are no removal buttons or trash cans showing - perhaps it is because I have disabled the extensions. Although I still have U-Block enabled and that doesn't show up.

Confusion reigns!! I shall just forget it and carry on and leave them disabled.

Regards

Roy
Old 27-07-18, 10:00
Global Moderator

Have you tried resetting the browser ?

EDIT - Don't know if you've read this tutorial I've come across - http://www.avantbrowser.com/help/pgABOptions.htm
Old 27-07-18, 11:17
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Cantrel

No, I haven't looked at resetting the browser and I haven't found anything directing me towards that.

I have been through the link that you provided and there is no reference to anything associated with the problem.

I have also had a look at the 'add-ons' section of the tools menu and there aren't any clues there either.

Regards

Roy