Closed Thread

Old 17-12-17, 19:47
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Re: Some good news.

And I also didn't believe them.
Old 17-12-17, 20:26
Enthusiastic contributor

More joyous news,particularly if your young...

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...ministers-urge
Old 17-12-17, 20:30
Enthusiastic contributor

Rees Mogg,proof men time traveled from 1841 to 2017.

Why doesn't Jacob Rees Mogg want a Brexit transition? Because then we'd have to enforce the 2019 EU directives on Anti-Tax Avoidance.
Never forget that.
Never let them fool you.
#StopBrexit https://t.co/krJ97PuzJZ
Old 18-12-17, 17:20
Enthusiastic contributor

Madeline.

Quote:
Also, the weekly chocolate ration is to be increased from 35 grammes to 25 grammes. Er, how is going from 35 grammes to 25 grammes an increase?
You need to read George Orwell's "Nineteen eighty four" to understand that one, Madeline.

Here's one (randomly Googled) of about a million free downloads. It's out of copyright, so no problems.

https://wrathoftheawakenedsaxon.word...-pdf-download/
Old 18-12-17, 17:31
Enthusiastic contributor

Oops! Just had a closer look at that page I linked to. The 1984 download is part way down the page, but it seems there's quite a lot there that some may find offensive.

That's the trouble with random Googling and not properly checking. I don't think Web User is quite the place for "combat manuals".

Perhaps it's safer to do your own Googling. The search term I used was 1984.pdf
Old 18-12-17, 22:03
Top contributor

Quote:
You need to read George Orwell's "Nineteen eighty four" to understand that one, Madeline.
I have, but it was a very long time ago! There's this which I found in a search:
Quote:
Today's issue contained a statement of the actual output, from which it appeared that the forecasts were in every instance grossly wrong. Winston's job was to rectify the original figures by making them agree with the later ones. As for the third message, it referred to a very simple error which could be set right in a couple of minutes. As short a time ago as February, the Ministry of Plenty had issued a promise (a 'categorical pledge' were the official words) that there would be no reduction of the chocolate ration during 1984. Actually, as Winston was aware, the chocolate ration was to be reduced from thirty grammes to twenty at the end of the present week. All that was needed was to substitute for the original promise a warning that it would probably be necessary to reduce the ration at some time in April.
This site is interesting too! Amongst other things, it mentions the chocolate ration:

Cranky Maths 3, 25/11/05, Ian Jones
Quote:
Perhaps the crankiest maths of all time is that devised and implemented by The Party of George Orwell's 1984.
Old 20-12-17, 14:11
Enthusiastic contributor

Orwell was only a few years out. Already we've got thought-crimes and courts that openly say "truth is no defence". There's even talk of fifteen-year sentences just for looking at websites the government doesn't like, and that isn't limited to just the kind of site few sane people would even want to visit, terrorist sites for example (assuming such things exist) or the politicians' favourite vile images of child abuse.

We've been in 1984 for a few decades now, and it's getting worse.

It's only a matter of time before any thinking person will hear his (or her) door splintering in the middle of the night, and then it's off to the ministry of love for "re-education". Wrongthink will not be tolerated in Airstrip One.
Old 20-12-17, 15:27
Persona non grata

What a year 2017 has been!
We’ve had plenty of ups and downs, but I would like to end the year on a high and take a look back on all the momentous economic moments over the past year.

Of all the good economic indicators over the 2017, here is a selection of some of the best:
At the beginning of the year, Jaguar Land Rover started work on their new £200 million design and engineering centre in Warwickshire, while the tech-giant Dyson revealed their £2.5 billion plan to build a huge campus dedicated solely to artificial intelligence and robotics.

Project Fear claimed that the UK would lose 500,000 jobs if the country voted to leave. Yet they were proved wrong back in May, as employment levels reached their highest level since 1975 and a Brexit boom led to retail sales in April rising by 2.3 per cent, exceeding expectations.

In June, the UK economy marked its third longest period of consecutive growth since 1955 while factory orders reached their highest level since 1988.
British manufacturing giants Rolls-Royce announced plans for a new £150 million aerospace test plant in Derby in the summer.

Big names in business - Deutsche Bank, Amazon, Unilever, McLaren, Muller and Bloomberg all confirmed their confidence in the UK as they either expanded their existing UK supply chains, or opened up brand new offices in the UK, creating more jobs and further investment for the British economy.

In August new house building was up 11 per cent since the referendum. While the UK manufacturing industry moved up the line when it became the eighth largest manufacturing industry in the world back in September.

During the course of the year, London has maintained its prized title of being the best city in the world for attracting business, despite what the Remoaner forecasts predicted. While Forbes have just crowned the UK the best country in the world for business in 2018.
Earlier this month, the OECD raised its economic growth forecast estimating that the UK will have the strongest pay and employee benefits growth in the G7 this year.

Even the CBI cannot complain as they released data, only days ago, showing that the UK manufacturing sector is in a robust position as it ends the year on a high note with order books at a thirty year high.
Finally, the cherry on the cake - it has been reported that people are happier because of Brexit. Well, I sure am.

Remainers kept peddling the myth during 2017 of a ‘cliff edge’ exit from the EU, but this is just Project Fear II. The reality is, March 2019 is not a ‘cliff edge’ – it is a springboard to growth and prosperity.
Old 20-12-17, 16:23
Enthusiastic contributor

The chocolate ration is still to be increased from 30 grammes to 20 though.

Being old enough to remember when Britain was still Britain rather than area 9 (I believe that's right) on the map of Europe, I'm aware of all the negative impacts the EUSSR has had on what was once my country.

That's why I voted to leave.

We've never had a situation like the one we've got now though. In the past, in our pretend democracy, people accepted the result of a vote, whether they liked it or not.

This time though, the fix wasn't enough. The people voted for what the government considers the "wrong" result, hence the screaming hordes of (paid?) remoaners, exactly like the (paid?) anti-Trump banshees in America.

It's called "democracy", though it never really has been, and I suspect George Soros may be involved in a lot of this, but in a democracy, or even a pretend one like we've got, the majority get to say what happens.

It's like a lot of children complaining because the vote didn't go their way.

TOUGH! That's how the system works. Grow up and deal with it.

If we ever do get the EUSSR off our backs, our country will be our own again (as far as it ever was). No more Brussels legislation. We'll revert to making our own laws. Jobs for our own people isn't "hate". It's common sense. No more "minorities" having superior rights over the indigenous population. Equal laws for all.

No more criminal "membership fees" either, meaning we'll get to keep more of our own money for essential services, NHS, road-building and long-overdue maintenance.

I see nothing but benefits all round, and that doesn't mean I "hate" anyone, just that I care more for my own people than for those I don't know or understand.

Don't we all put our own families first?
Old 20-12-17, 19:02
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nob14 View Post
Remainers kept peddling the myth during 2017 of a ‘cliff edge’ exit from the EU, but this is just Project Fear II. The reality is, March 2019 is not a ‘cliff edge’ – it is a springboard to growth and prosperity.
I've noticed on the media, such as on both the BBC's and Sky's TV "The Papers" at about 10:30 pm, they always trot out the obligatory Remainers to expound their sad and doleful predictions.

For these folk, Good News is not what they want to hear ... good news is bad news to these depressing people.
They seem dependent on their EU comfort blanket and never have anything positive to say, or have any faith that our United Kingdom can make it's own way in the world.
They would rather continue to be subservient to a corrupt and failing organisation led by Germany and France who continue their agenda of ever-closer fiscal and political integration.

The EU negotiators will be well aware not to push us too far by making outrageous and unacceptable demands. The last thing they want is for us to walk away without a deal. Our departure without "settling our bill" would leave a big hole in the EU Budget. It appears that not everyone will be willing to fill the hole.

Quote:
The Danish Minister of Finance, Kristian Jensen, also voiced a similar opinion. He told the economic newspaper Borsen on Tuesday that Denmark will not pay more into the EU budget after Brexit. He added that the budget should in fact be cut.
"All we know for the moment is that Brexit will lead to a reduction of revenue in the EU budget," an EU official, who didn't want to be named due to controversy around the topic, told CNBC.
"But nobody knows whether this will be addressed through higher contributions from the remaining member states, the creation of a new revenue source, the reduction of EU expenditure or a combination of these three options," he added.
In my opinion (shared my many), the EU will have far more to lose than the UK if the former tries to back us into a corner during these ongoing negotiations. Let's see who blinks first. Theresa knows she daren't return with a bad deal.

No more whining ... no more negative stuff ... Brexit Means Brexit ... let's get on with it.

Spit
Closed Thread