Go Back   Web User Forums > Internet Access > Broadband help and advice

Old 12-01-18, 21:05
Passionate member

Default Re: Which Broadband provider ?

The 25.95 deal (29-40 Mbps fibre) includes unlimited BB, line rental, free Router, no postal, setup or activation charges. Unlimited 24/7 calls (to landlines and mobiles from a landline) and Caller Display are normally 8.30 but are currently included if you push a bit. All prices are fixed until 2 June 2019.

The same deal but with standard BB at up to17mbps is 18.95, but if you check outages you find they have daily faults in one area or another on the standard BB.

My daughter is urging me to stay with BT as TT has a reputation for faults, poor service and customer data breaches, though that may be historic and Cantrel's experience of the 38mbps service is very good.

I can't shift BT below 26.99 for up to 38Mbps BB, 30GB cap, + 9.50 for anytime calls to landlines/BT mobiles, 1/2 price calls to other mobiles. New router is free but delivery normally 9.99 and activation 50. January Sale cuts activation to 20 and I was offered they might waive the postage. So currently 36.49 for BT with a cap and calls to most mobiles charged at 1/2 price, and possibly 29.99 upfront charges.

So BT could be a good deal if you don't want landline calls or are happy with the cap. Main worry I suppose is they won't touch a fixed price for the length of the contract as TT do, so that pretty much guarantees the 36.49 will increase significantly every few months!
Old 12-01-18, 21:12
Global Moderator

I get Caller Display for free - didn't know they are charging for it now.

Some of the outages are down to vandalism where thieves have pinched the copper cabling or BT are working on the lines, but I only had the very occasional disconnect on ADSL.

In the early days it was because of the crap router they supplied and my distance from the exchange, but what they supply these days is far more superior.

For wireless problems, changing channels will normally resolve.
Old 12-01-18, 21:23
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
It isn't compulsory to take them - I use a Freeview Plus box with a Samsung Smart TV which I can connect to the Internet for some channels but haven't tried them out yet - too busy.

It probably will mean a new box but I'd phone TT on 0800 0499999 and get some details from them as well as any offers.

However, I wouldn't have thought that you would get broadband and the tv box for just 25.95 but I could be wrong.
According to money supermarket.com the basic package rental and broadband is 18.95.

Maybe i am wrong about the 25.95 but im not that bothered either.

Ive got a couple of weeks left on my bt. Ive only ever changed company once before years ago when i cancelled orange. Do i need to get a macc code and what else do you need to do.?
Old 12-01-18, 21:28
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec1 View Post
The 25.95 deal (29-40 Mbps fibre) includes unlimited BB, line rental, free Router, no postal, setup or activation charges. Unlimited 24/7 calls (to landlines and mobiles from a landline) and Caller Display are normally 8.30 but are currently included if you push a bit. All prices are fixed until 2 June 2019.

The same deal but with standard BB at up to17mbps is 18.95, but if you check outages you find they have daily faults in one area or another on the standard BB.

My daughter is urging me to stay with BT as TT has a reputation for faults, poor service and customer data breaches, though that may be historic and Cantrel's experience of the 38mbps service is very good.

I can't shift BT below 26.99 for up to 38Mbps BB, 30GB cap, + 9.50 for anytime calls to landlines/BT mobiles, 1/2 price calls to other mobiles. New router is free but delivery normally 9.99 and activation 50. January Sale cuts activation to 20 and I was offered they might waive the postage. So currently 36.49 for BT with a cap and calls to most mobiles charged at 1/2 price, and possibly 29.99 upfront charges.

So BT could be a good deal if you don't want landline calls or are happy with the cap. Main worry I suppose is they won't touch a fixed price for the length of the contract as TT do, so that pretty much guarantees the 36.49 will increase significantly every few months!
Thanks for this. I will prob ring them this week first. Im only paying 8 quid a month for my 15gb capped package. If they extend this then i might stay but if they wont cintinue to give me that discount then i will tell them i am moving. They have continued this package for the past 5 years or so but i look at bumf in the post and it makes me think.they might not.this time.
Old 12-01-18, 21:32
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
According to money supermarket.com the basic package rental and broadband is 18.95.

Maybe i am wrong about the 25.95 but im not that bothered either.

Ive got a couple of weeks left on my bt. Ive only ever changed company once before years ago when i cancelled orange. Do i need to get a macc code and what else do you need to do.?
They would do all of the changeover for you.
Old 13-01-18, 19:03
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
They would do all of the changeover for you.
Would the.modem have the slots to wire a cable to another room and stream music via my pc via a squeezebox ? Im doing this at the moment...and this is absolutely essential ?. Im using hard cables and the electricity rather than wifi.
Old 13-01-18, 19:04
Enthusiastic contributor

Does anybody use plusnet as ive been told it is a cheaper part of BT ?
Old 13-01-18, 19:10
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE5 View Post
Would the.modem have the slots to wire a cable to another room and stream music via my pc via a squeezebox ? Im doing this at the moment...and this is absolutely essential ?. Im using hard cables and the electricity rather than wifi.
Their routers have 4 Ethernet ports.
Old 13-01-18, 20:18
Familiar face

started with john lewis (plusnet) in may, 25 per month, unlimited broadband and unlimited phone calls plus line rental included. First couple of months line kept dropping and no connection.
Four bt engineers couldn't solve it every time they called the line was ok, on a fifth visit the connection was up and down, anyway since then its great, very pleased.
Old 14-01-18, 15:44
Enthusiastic contributor

just been informed today that the line rental with BT is 19 quid now, add only my 17gb capped package for another 8 quid, so it would cost me 27 quid to carry on as I am. With no messing around knowing everything is working.

Of course if I pay the line rental up front again like last year, this will get a discount.

Thinking over my options !!!