Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 8 help

Old 13-01-18, 19:14
Familiar face

Default Skype update lost account.

Hello ! I recently used an update for Skype,my original account which had £8 in credit still available,was wiped out when i was prompted to open a new account. various correspondents have suggested i delete the new account, but i understand ,if i do, it will also wipe out my Microsoft account along with any stored data. Should i put the loss down to experience or is there a way of getting back into my old account .? Thanks......
Old 13-01-18, 19:24
Global Moderator

Default Re: Skype update lost account.

Is there an Account option you can click on which should show you all of the accounts associated with your email address or phone number and then log into that account.

Failing that, a restore point may take you back to before the Skype update.
Old 16-01-18, 13:10
Highly valued member

When you were prompted to open the new account after the update perhaps you should have ignored it and just continued to sign in using your existing log-in for the first account. If that is so and Skype failed to make that clear then I totally agree entering a fresh log-in is the natural thing to do.

But it sounds like you could have two Skype accounts running side by side. When you opened the new account did you use a different password or email to that used for the original account. I'm thinking that if you tried to create a new account with the same log-in you would probably have been prompted to try again in which case you may now just have two Skype accounts.

If that is the case just try quitting Skype altogether and signing in using your old log-in details and see what response you get. If that does sort it you can just leave the new account in place with no credit as a back up for the free video and internet calls. That way if you are way with family you could have two lines active at the same time.

While I don't know for sure and Cantel's suggestion seems a logical route, I would think a system restore would get you back to the old Skype settings, but the update will continue to plague you until you do update and if you have created a second account it will still be there and may cause future confusion if you don't know it and have a grip of its log-in etc. Also no doubt once you do update at some future point you will again be prompted to create a new account.

What drew me to this thread was the fact that I am planning to use Skype in the next day or so for a call to Aus and now I'm nervous of starting Skype up.

NB. In addition to all that, just in case you are unaware, is if you haven't used Skype to dial a landline number in a 12 month period any credit is automatically wiped. If I know I haven't made a landline call for getting on 12 months I use Skype to call my home number then pick up the receiver and replace just to kill the call. I think there is a connection charge of a few pence but its such a low amount I am unsure and that one call retains the credit for another 12months.
Old 16-01-18, 17:14
Familiar face

Thanks Jak, your reply and that of Cantrel's, leaves me no nearer a solution, i believe that,if i cancel my Skype account, it will also cancel my Microsoft account,as they are linked. Needless to say, i had always been happy with my Skype account and used it at least twice per week. as you rightly suggest,i could make a restore to the time of my original account, but would be faced with the updates,which i am led to believe is what microsoft require. Some suggest my credits are now irretrievable, I will not pander to Microsoft's goal post changing,so will not be adding any more credit. If at some point i find a solution i will post the fact. Cheers !
Old 16-01-18, 18:19
Highly valued member

Just been having a rummage around Google in case the same happens to me and came across this.

Seems a bit fiddly but just thought it may be worth your while trying it to see if a second (your original) account is revealed.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA8...-the-same-time
Old 16-01-18, 20:07
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Just been having a rummage around Google in case the same happens to me and came across this.

Seems a bit fiddly but just thought it may be worth your while trying it to see if a second (your original) account is revealed.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA8...-the-same-time
Isn't that just going to add another new account ?

@ zornig67 - Do you not have control of updates in Win 8/8.1 ?

I have my update settings in my Win 7 machine set to Check for but let me choose and when I get an update notification, I can view them before checking their boxes for selection.

I've recently had an update for Skype on my Win 7 machine which I hid because I don't use it.

If Skype was working fine before the update, then it should without it.
Old 17-01-18, 08:16
Familiar face

Thanks, for your replies Jak & Cantrel, my understanding is that Microsoft have worked a fast one with Skype, many other users have experienced a similar event, older accounts have been discontinued with the latest update. I will have to accept the loss of the credit i had, but will no longer use Skype as a result. Cheers.
Old 17-01-18, 08:35
Global Moderator

Can you not contact MS with a complaint and ask for reimbursement or your new account credited with what you had on your old account ?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/about/get-in-touch/
Old 17-01-18, 13:18
Familiar face

Thanks Cantrel , i have contacted customer support with a request.
Old 17-01-18, 16:59
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrel View Post
Isn't that just going to add another new account ?.
Yes I think you are correct. Sorry I should have read it all, initially it seemed to me to be explaining how to open two already existing accounts at the same time to run side by side.

Quote:-
Itís possible to run more than one Skype account on your computer at the same time. This might be useful if you have, for example, a Skype account you use for work and another account just for personal use.

But I agree it then goes on to explain what appears to be how to add a second Skype account on the same computer.