Go Back   Web User Forums > Welcome > Hints and Tips

Old 13-01-18, 00:00
Highly valued member

Default Stored Logins

Ever got a new device or needed to log in on a different device and when you come to log into accounts you realise that the login passwords and maybe email addresses you once knew for your different accounts have been forgotten, simply because your browser stored them for you and just inserted them automatically so now you can't remember them because you haven't actually had to type them in for a long time.

My wife is good at this she never records them and then lets her machine store and insert them automatically. Having a new phone she suddenly discovered she could no longer sign in to some of her accounts so I had to scratch my head.

The solution was as follows, I booted up her laptop, this will be similar on most browsers but as we use Firefox here's how it works on the latest version of Firefox.

Click the three little bars top right of screen and then select options. > In the tab that opens type 'saved' into the search box, if the search isn't automatic click the magnifying glass on the left to start the search. >You should then be presented with all options containing the word 'saved'; select 'saved logins'. >You will now be presented with all your saved logins but without the passwords. >Click 'show password' bottom right, you will be asked 'are you sure' click yes and the passwords will be shown. >When you are done, click 'Hide Passwords' > click 'Close' and then back out of the tab. Simple as that.

NB. You can also remove any log-ins you no longer want storing by simple clicking on the one you don't want in order to highlight it and then clicking the 'Remove Button' but be careful not to click on 'remove all', unless of course you do actually want to remove them all.
Old 13-01-18, 08:39
Passionate member

Default Re: Stored Logins

All correct Jak. But do consider the consequences:
If I sat down at your computer I would be able to view and steal all your logins and passwords.
If I wrote a virus to steal the data over the internet I would have access to all your accounts.
If your laptop is stolen the ‘new owner’ could access your passwords.

So do set a master password. The option is there in firefox. This encrypts all the passwords in the file. When you open the browser and go to a site that requires one of the stored passwords a box will open asking for your master password. Only then will the login be auto filled. This will continue to work until you shut down Firefox. On reopening you will need to enter the master password once more.

I Never allow Firefox to remember critical logins for internet banking, papal, amazon, ebay accounts.
Old 13-01-18, 11:20
Enthusiastic contributor

It is possible to move the location of stored passwords in Firefox to an external usb stick or hard drive, which you remove after use and store separately from the laptop. Also as a last ditch backup I regularly print them all, currently 5 A4 pages, and store that very separately from the laptop.

This beats the 'making love on one leg in a hammock' approach that is usually recommended here.

Nik
Old 13-01-18, 17:37
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakybeaky View Post
All correct Jak. But do consider the consequences: ..................................

........................ So do set a master password. The option is there in firefox.
Hey give me a bit of credit SB. Although it is an excellant point to remind of but anybody nicking what's in there and ordering a dress for my wife from White stuff or M & S or having a chat to some biddy on a site my wife frequents etc are welcome.

Anything important is kept on a specific USB and it is coded. The USB only gets inserted when it is needed even my ebay login details are coded on USB and you can't really do much with those other than order stuff although you could I suppose change the delivery address but then the Paypal payment needs a password and sign in plus my autorisation is two level via SMS. In addition I never ever keep passwords associated with cash on my machine. I keep it on the USB in a separate document along with card numbers and authorisation codes. (all coded)

Q. ..Wheres the best place to hide a tree. A..In a forest

On that premise I have a whole vertical A4 column of fictitious card numbers. Among them are the two actual card numbers I use on line but even they have two of the digits reversed I know what they are and I correct them when used. I have a similar column of 3 digit authorisation numbers. Only two are correct but even they each have one number wrong.

I never type in any card numbers or 3 digit codes, I copy paste them and then just correct the two wrong digits. This way sensitive stuff is as safe as I can make it from human or coded prying eyes and from key loggers and because the passwords are automatically shown as dots when pasted in if its a key logger which can initiates a screen grab on send (as some do) all they get is a line of dots.

I believe there may be some which can actually grab the digits as the details are sending but where do you stop.

I then have to think about basic security software, I use Comodo FW always set to 'safe' mode. Hopefully Comodo would pick up a key logger which may have sneeked in past Avast with all shields permanently up and behavior switched on.

I also scan with Avast, Malwarebytes and SAS once a week, every week. I also have Spyware Blaster booting with windows and update its protection database weekly (or more frequently) for both Firefox and IE both of which I use.

I don't store passwords in IE because I just keep up to date as a back up browser.

Thanks for the nudge in the ribs about the Firefox master password though, I did read about that some time ago and meant to set it up but then it clean went. I'll now do that and add it to my long list of fictitious passwords on the USB stick (coded of course)
.................................................. ....................

Speaking of all that care many of us personally take where do we go with 'Meltdown' apparently even the OS updates wont prevent the potential exploit and we can all do the BIOS updating but what about the people like the banks themselves and shops Paypal, the people who you booked your holiday with, your ISP, the power company etc, etc they will all hold details somewhere and all their thousands of computers will have access to those servers, plus many are still using the commercial XP OS. How secure can they really make old Pentiums and Athlons. Thank God I don't bank on line.
Old 13-01-18, 17:50
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBold View Post
This beats the 'making love on one leg in a hammock' approach that is usually recommended here.
Nik
Cor! that doesn't half make your groin ache. ... or so they tell me
Old 13-01-18, 18:03
Passionate member

Jak
Quote:
Hey give me a bit of credit SB.
Looks like you have got it all under control.
Old 13-01-18, 18:14
Highly valued member

Just done the password thingy, got a full bar on the password strength

Thanks
Old 14-01-18, 13:55
Enthusiastic contributor

Something that may not be clear from my post is that my usb stick method still allows Firefox to automatically fill in logins and passwords. I don't get out the hammock and groin strain cream and then have to type them all in. Simples!

Nik
Old 17-01-18, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikoBold View Post
It is possible to move the location of stored passwords in Firefox to an external usb stick or hard drive, which you remove after use and store separately from the laptop. Also as a last ditch backup I regularly print them all, currently 5 A4 pages, and store that very separately from the laptop.

Nik
This sounds like a very good idea, Nik. How do you find the location of stored passwords please?
Old 17-01-18, 19:39
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcartero View Post
This sounds like a very good idea, Nik. How do you find the location of stored passwords please?
You will find that in the first post

@NikBold ..Yes that does sounds like a good option Nik, confess I didn't realise you meant it stores on the USB in stead of the on screen location and at first I couldn't see the advantage.

I take it the way you use it is remembering to insert the USB just before clicking remember details other wise there would be no real difference to it being stored on the HDD. I guess you would also need to assign a permanent drive letter to the USB stick if you wanted it to work automatically as it would from the actually browser location on the HDD.