Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > All Other Operating Systems

Old 30-04-12, 18:32
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Manipulate taskbar

There used to be a simple way of adjusting the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop - after remembering to unlock it. I thought you just dragged the border. Mine has however got rather stubborn and insists on taking up 2 rows when just one is sufficient. MS Help is not much help so I hope WU can reveal the secret. I am using XP Home. Tks.
Old 30-04-12, 22:52
Top contributor

Default Re: Manipulate taskbar

Mine takes up 2 rows on our XP PC too, but that's how I've got it set. As far as I can remember, you should be able to drag the top border downwards, thus returning it to one row, while the taskbar is unlocked. There are little vertical bars that mark off the positions for the running programs and the quick launch ones; you should be able to drag those around and get the running programs to the right of the quick launch icons and then get the taskbar to be thin again.
Old 01-05-12, 06:05
Global Moderator

Quote:
There are little vertical bars that mark off the positions for the running programs and the quick launch ones
That's the clue to the problem. Although it's not obvious, your problem stems from the fact that the quick launch toolbar has got to much space to be able to fit in one line.
Old 01-05-12, 09:47
Enthusiastic contributor

I wish both of you were right - these thoughts occurred to me before I went public. The top border refuses to be dragged down, and the taskbar is not full of icon clutter which prevents it from slimming down. Something caused the bar to spontaneously move position last week and I have been trying to get back to the status quo since then. I will try again with the vertical bars but that didn't work over the weekend.
Old 01-05-12, 22:51
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain006 View Post
I wish both of you were right - these thoughts occurred to me before I went public. The top border refuses to be dragged down, and the taskbar is not full of icon clutter which prevents it from slimming down. Something caused the bar to spontaneously move position last week and I have been trying to get back to the status quo since then. I will try again with the vertical bars but that didn't work over the weekend.
I've seen one fix where carrying out the adjustment in Classic mode worked.
Old 01-05-12, 22:53
Top contributor

What's been said should work and I don't know what might have caused your difficulty. Can you remember what you may have done just before this happened? If you've got Auto-hide and/or Quick Launch enabled, try disabling it/them and see if that makes any difference. As a last resort, I suppose you could do a System Restore to see if that resolves the problem.
Old 02-05-12, 11:18
Highly valued member

Extract from a blog that may help.....

"I fixed it. I made the taskbar three lines high, then dragged my open window icons to the same line as the QL. I was then able to shrink the taskbar to one line. All is well"
Old 06-05-12, 00:36
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
Mine takes up 2 rows on our XP PC too, but that's how I've got it set. As far as I can remember, you should be able to drag the top border downwards, thus returning it to one row, while the taskbar is unlocked. There are little vertical bars that mark off the positions for the running programs and the quick launch ones; you should be able to drag those around and get the running programs to the right of the quick launch icons and then get the taskbar to be thin again.
I suppose that if the system is kosher you can move the vertical dotted line dividers at lib when the taskbar is unlocked. Even if I clear off all programs and disable the Quick Launch bar so that there's just clear blue water, the two dotted bars, one below the other, refuse to budge. Even swearing at them in Welsh doesn't have any effect.
Old 06-05-12, 22:44
Top contributor

Quote:
I suppose that if the system is kosher you can move the vertical dotted line dividers at lib when the taskbar is unlocked. Even if I clear off all programs and disable the Quick Launch bar so that there's just clear blue water, the two dotted bars, one below the other, refuse to budge. Even swearing at them in Welsh doesn't have any effect.
Clearly something's gone wrong somewhere, but unfortunately I don't know what it is.

I don't know any Welsh swear words; my swear vocabulary includes Anglo-Saxon with a few French, German and US variants, but no Welsh alas!
Old 09-05-12, 09:10
Enthusiastic contributor

Good thing too otherwise I can see you being reported to the Moderator for using abusive language which no one understands (!)

I'm wondering if the only solution is to reinstall Windows which would amount to sledge hammer treatment.