Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 11-03-18, 18:34
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Kaspersky incompatible with Google Backup and Sync

I started using the new Backup and Sync tool and all was fine for a week or so.
Then it started throwing up error messages and stopped working.
Turned out the problem was Kaspersky AV.
You have to add the Google drive shell extension (.dll) to trusted apps.
You also have to uninstall and re-install the Google tool but Kaspersky stopped the latter as well until I added Google Installer as trusted also.
There's no indication of any forthcoming fix on the Kaspersky forum.
Not sure what's going on here really - Russia vs. USA ?
Old 11-03-18, 21:06
Top contributor

Default Re: Kaspersky incompatible with Google Backup and Sync

Does Google's Backup and Sync tool work properly now that you've added it to trusted apps? If so, that's probably why there's no fix in the offing! Perhaps there's some kind of conflict with Kaspersky's own backup feature. I don't think it's a case of Russia vs USA!

Edit: If you're still having any trouble or you'd like to know what, if anything, Kaspersky's doing about this issue, perhaps contacting their customer services would be helpful:

https://support.kaspersky.co.uk/b2c#

Last edited by Madeline; 11-03-18 at 21:27. Reason: AS shown
Old 12-03-18, 08:01
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks Madeline, the last bit was just a joke really.
Yes it's all working fine now and I'm actually very pleased with it.
I posted here as a warning for others and to explain the fix.
It's worth bearing in mind as it seems Kaspersky does affect other apps.
For interest here's part of my exchange from the Google Drive forum.

MisterCanada said:
Well, as for that being the best AV, it's not so rated by knowledgeable users. For over a decade it has caused issues with WarCraft game installs, even partially blocking patch updates which then requires a complete uninstall and re-install to fix- and that's a 21+ Gbyte download. Whereas several other AV programs never have issues with their heuristic learning. Separately the US government recently banned that particular AV program from use on government computers.

I said:
There is a family of respected computer magazines in the UK that tests every AV suite biannually and Kaspersky comes out top every single time - 100% success rate and zero false positives. Nothing else comes close although Norton is catching up. They only test for virus, trojan, etc however, not the glitches we are seeing here.
The considered opinion is that the US is being over-cautious, if not paranoid, as there's absolutely no evidence that Kaspersky has any connection to the Russian state or that they are collecting any unnecessary personal data - unlike Google of course!

MisterCanada said:
I guess they aren't including the incorrect blocking of software as false positives even though it sometimes is. Yes, all the problems I've seen regarding Kaspersky are:

1) Improperly blocking software being installed in the first place, often without any notice from the AV/Firewall engine- just the installation fails.
2) Improperly blocking software that is being updated even though the existing install has been approved- and doing so without any warning.

The really disruptive part of this is that there isn't any actual popup warning etc- just failed installations. I've seen many hundreds of people affected by this in other products. It's actually gotten to the point with some products that when an installation or upgrade fails the first question asked is what AV/Firewall software is being used.
Old 12-03-18, 20:08
Top contributor

MisterCanada makes some interesting points which are worth bearing in mind, particularly when there's a problem with the installation of some software perhaps. All the same, I agree fully with what you said to him and if I ever wanted to stop using Norton for any reason, I'd have Kaspersky. I didn't take the Russia/Us thing seriously, although there are some people who would!

Thinking about it, there's always a possibility that the same sort of thing happens when using other security programs too.
Old 13-03-18, 16:18
Enthusiastic contributor

I use Kaspersky and have had no problems whatsoever. Now that my bank has stopped offering Kaspersky for free I shall continue using it after my licence runs out. My banks decision was ridiculous as the recommendation was government agencies and the like to stop using it NOT the general public.
Old 13-03-18, 16:58
Top contributor

Quote:
My banks decision was ridiculous as the recommendation was government agencies and the like to stop using it NOT the general public.
I agree with you. I don't know which bank you use, but I remember this from a few months ago:

Barclays axes free Kaspersky product as a 'precaution' - BBC News
Quote:
Barclays has stopped offering free Kaspersky anti-virus products to new customers following an official warning about Russian security software.

The National Cyber Security Centre - the UK's authority on cyber security and part of GCHQ - is writing to all government departments telling them Russian security software could be exploited by the Kremlin.

But officials stressed they were not saying members of the public or companies should stop using Kaspersky products, which are used by about 400 million people globally.

Barclays told customers it would no longer offer free Kaspersky software "following the information that's been shared in the news" - but advised people with the software already installed that they did not need to take any action.
So if Barclays are saying that you don't need to take any action if you have Kaspersky installed, they're basically endorsing it as a "safe" program. In that case, why did they stop offering the program to their customers, particularly since the NCSC said that there was no need for people to stop using Kaspersky products? Do they offer an alternative program I wonder, or are they just looking to save money?

There are plenty of other reports about this.
Old 26-03-18, 17:58
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
I agree with you. I don't know which bank you use, but I remember this from a few months ago:

Barclays axes free Kaspersky product as a 'precaution' - BBC News

So if Barclays are saying that you don't need to take any action if you have Kaspersky installed, they're basically endorsing it as a "safe" program. In that case, why did they stop offering the program to their customers, particularly since the NCSC said that there was no need for people to stop using Kaspersky products? Do they offer an alternative program I wonder, or are they just looking to save money?

There are plenty of other reports about this.
Yes my bank is Barclays. As far as I know they offer no alternative and probably trying to save money As far as Google backup and sync is concerned it works with Kaspersky
Old 26-03-18, 18:38
Enthusiastic contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amason51 View Post
Yes my bank is Barclays. As far as I know they offer no alternative and probably trying to save money As far as Google backup and sync is concerned it works with Kaspersky
You only have to look at the Google Drive forum and the Kaspersky Lab forum to see that loads of people are finding that Google B&S does NOT work with KIS.

If you got Kaspersky free from Barclays it's possible you got a specially prepared pared down version rather than the full paid for version.

BTW Madeline I didn't get an email notification about recent posts until this latest one from amason51.
Old 27-03-18, 23:16
Top contributor

Quote:
BTW Madeline I didn't get an email notification about recent posts until this latest one from amason51.
Oh dear. I thought that problem had gone away, but it seems it's back. If it goes on, perhaps you should mention it in the Feedback forum rufford155.
Old 28-03-18, 12:48
Enthusiastic contributor

Got notification OK for yours so maybe it was a temporary glitch.