Go Back   Web User Forums > Hardware > Other Hardware

Old 01-03-18, 19:26
Enthusiastic contributor

Default Hard drive caddies

I have a couple of HDs from a XP computer and I want to caddy them and possibly find some use for them rather than chuck them in the recycle bin. I've never done this before so instead of blundering on regardless I would appreciate any advice offered.

Bill.

Last edited by billw; 01-03-18 at 19:27. Reason: Mistake
Old 01-03-18, 20:04
Highly valued member

Default Re: Hard drive caddies

It is a straight forward operation. Just make sure that you get the right type of caddy (IDE or SATA) and follow the instructions that comes with the caddy.
Old 01-03-18, 22:44
Enthusiastic contributor

You can also get USB to SATA or IDE adapters which don't need a case and fit both 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives and are cheaper than 3.5 inch cases. If you have USB3, go for USB 3 adapters or cases. They're much faster than USB2. For a 3.5 inch drive, you need a caddy or adapter with its own power supply.
Old 02-03-18, 08:50
Enthusiastic contributor

That was quick response. Thanks both.

One has ATA/133 the other has PATA133.

I assume these are the model nos.

I will have a search to see if I can find the most suitable.

Bill.
Old 04-03-18, 19:41
Highly valued member

Bill,

Only just noticed this.

ATA and PATA is the type of connection, they are both ATA (advance technology attachment), and the one that is labelled PATA is Parallel ATA, the one that just says ATA is almost certainly PATA as well otherwise it would say SATA (S=Serial)

Just to confuse further ATA or PATA drives are also called IDE (IBM or Integrated Drive/Disc Electronics) it was originally an IBM standard.

Before SATA there was only PATA so many HDD just stated ATA. Only when SATA started to appear on the scene did it become necessary to differentiate between the two connections types.

The physical connections on SATA and PATA are chalk and cheese so if they look the same they will both be PATA. Also the vast majority of XP machines were, as standard, PATA(IDE) as SATA machines only came on the scene round about the Vista era.

One last but important thing. .. The plug in caddies which Calimanco mentioned are surely a good option as you will only need one for both drives and if you do need SATA a later date they have a SATA slot as well IDE/PATA slot. If you do get one of those remember to safely eject the drive before pulling it out of the caddy (same as you would a USB flash drive)

BUT if your drives are Western Digital be careful because their spacing was not standard and while this doesn't really matter when connecting with flying leads it does when you are plugging a drive into a fixed socket as with this type of caddy.

If they are Western Digital better to check with the supplier before forking out.

You can also buy the enclosed caddies which have both SATA and PATA connectors. If you go for the enclosed caddy look for one with the Hot disconnect function and a power switch. The hot disconnect function will allow you to not have to use the the safe disconnect icon/routine in the bottom notification tray and the switch will allow you to not have to unplug and re-plug in all the time.

So with both facilities you can leave the HDD plugged in and just switch it on and off as required.
Old 06-03-18, 16:26
Enthusiastic contributor

Thanks for all that Jak. I think both drives are IDE and both Maxtor make. I've been away from my computer because of a family funereal so trying to catch up.

I will have a look at Calimanco's suggestion when I get time.

Bill
Old 06-03-18, 20:08
Highly valued member

As you haven't done this before Bill,

Just added a couple of reference links to caddies. I'm not recommending these it's just something for you refer to.

There are two sizes of drive of course as well as PATA and SATA connections.

2.5" being for Laptops sized drives and 3.5" desk tops. I am presuming your old drives will be from desk top XP machine.

The link below is for a 3.5" enclosure caddie with 'hot swap' and a power switch and as said just a reference not a recommendation. PATA/IDE enclosures a getting pretty rare nowadays and unless buying off somewhere like ebay a local computer fair might be your best option is you have one nearby. Another thing to look for with an enclosure is that the case is aliminium. Some are plastic and they don't dissipate the heat so well. At one time the better ones had a built in fan but I haven't seen one with a fan for must be getting on 10 years. Although I think the new ones have a spin down standby feature which helps prevent over heating.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-t....c100005.m1851

The docking station type mentioned by Calimanco allow the HDD to dissipate heat due there being no enclosure around the HDD.

If you look at the first line down under features at the bottom of the page you will see it states not suitable for Western Digital IDE Drives.

The good news is that most of these docking stations are stating that they now have the 'Hot Swap' feature.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5in...AAAOSwusdaZapJ
Old 09-05-18, 15:18
Enthusiastic contributor

Firstly, my apologies for being absent so long away from a thread with my name at the top. A combination of illness and domestic workload meant I just didn't have the time. Anyway, to move on I ordered the one from your first link and it did just what I wanted, I could copy to and fro easily but there was one snag, I had two spare drives and as it's a bit of a fiddle swapping over I sent for another one but this time I wasn't so lucky as the plug in my drive was incompatible with the socket in the caddy so I returned it and then I sent for one from your second link which I found to be the better of the two. My only problem now is finding desk space for them.

Thanks Jak for being so helpful...again

Bill