Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 10-10-15, 15:11
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzit
Win 10 is supposedly using a beefed up better tended version of Defender
Yes but one SHOULD NOT truest microsoft!!

I think a good 3rd party firewall IS QUITE IMPORTANT on any OS!! (And not one offered by Microsoft)
Old 10-10-15, 16:28
izzit

Default Re: do i relly need a firewall

I think you are confusing firewall and virus.

I trust MS for their operating systems ... and their firewall.
The firewall's been pretty well tested - and if you know how - it's very straight forward to use.

Recently the virus scanner got a surprisingly good review too - but given the reservations, to my mind it's still only a better than nothing option.

The windows firewall - I've used it exclusively since 7 and I'm more than satisfied it's good enough ... grc etc have never breached it - and I've never seen a negative review.

If I was paying for a virus suite - I'd use their firewall for completeness ... But I don't ... so I won't ... other free firewalls are also available - and it's down to personal pref ... whatever makes you feel secure.
Old 10-10-15, 20:21
Top contributor

The thing is, as far as I know, Dude is still using 98 SE, so no built-in MS firewall there!
Old 11-10-15, 17:11
Highly valued member

No well Im just saying No one should trust M$ Madeline!! (Ya dont know what they may allow thru)
Old 11-10-15, 21:55
Top contributor

I don't trust M$, Dude and I trust Google even less! Nothing wrong with being a bit paranoid sometimes!
Old 12-10-15, 05:34
Highly valued member

Good girl,Im proud of ya
Old 12-10-15, 11:49
Highly valued member

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzit View Post
I trust MS for their operating systems ... and their firewall.

The windows firewall - I've used it exclusively since 7 and I'm more than satisfied it's good enough ... grc etc have never breached it - and I've never seen a negative review.
Agreed - I too trust MS and its Windows Firewall.

All my W7 machines (nine machines) have now been upgraded to W10 ... and not a single problem throughout other than having to update one graphics card.

I've continued to use Avast Free and Windows Firewall after upgrading, and am satisfied that these provide decent protection. I peruse what the expert software testers say, and their results are very positive about this combination.

It's many years since malware of any kind breached my defences ... I can't even remember when ... and this includes PUPs.
In any case, I don't agonise about this because if I ever happen to get unlucky, all I have to do is restore my latest full Image backup and I'm up-and-running again in approx. 40 minutes.

W10 is a superb (best ever) OS and ALL my machines are zipping along fast and trouble-free, and ALL my old programs still work.
For those folk who are still nervous and hesitant ... if your kit has passed its MS MOT and given you the nod, press the Upgrade button and have a go.
If you have problems that can't be fixed, all you have to do is revert to, say, W7 by loading Recovery for the FULL Image backup you should have made prior to upgrading. I'll assume that you have previously created the backup software's offered Emergency Boot Disk ???
Personally, I reckon that this is a better option than using the W10 one to restore your machine back to its original state.

Spit

Last edited by tornado; 12-10-15 at 12:08.
Old 12-10-15, 20:35
Top contributor

My trust in M$ would have wavered today, whatever my previous feelings. Having previously hidden update KB3035583, it turned up again in Windows Update to be downloaded, so I've hidden it again. I have WU set to 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.' but it seems that you have to keep on making the same choice over and over again.
Old 13-10-15, 07:04
Highly valued member

Likewise Madeline.

Sorry to be thick, but am going to update soon. In the checkup list I have, it says "before doing the download check updates have been completed".
Does that mean that you have to download KB 3035583 or can that be ignored.
Old 13-10-15, 08:24
izzit

just talking out loud - I'd imagine that they's expect ... in the normal course of events that people would have GWX nagging merrily to prompt them to upgrade - so yes "all" updates.

If you haven't yet had WU downloading the actual upgrade, I'd qualify that by saying (again! ) that the DVD is more use.

If something does glitch GWX will start again ... the DVD - you d/l 3.4Gb once - and have in your pocket for good.