Go Back   Web User Forums > Security > Security & Privacy Help and Discussions

Old 08-10-15, 12:05
Enthusiastic contributor

Unhappy do i relly need a firewall

i have built my own computer(dubbed the goldmaster machine) i had a trial of avast on it which has now expired yet the paid versions comes with a firewall where as the free version doesn't. surely this is basic protection as well as antivirus. but i have heard that rooters come with a firewall anyway. so im wandering which free antivirus software should i go with weather to stick with avast free and not bother with a firewall or find an alternative that has antivirus and firewall for free. but the thing with avast free is the popup offers are annoying so is there a way to stop them.

James dyson
Old 08-10-15, 12:32
Top contributor

Default Re: do i relly need a firewall

Microsoft have a built in firewall in its latest Operating Systems. Which Operating System do you have? They also provide Windows Defender anti-virus as well. Some people are satisfied with that as their protection. You're right about the Routers hardware firewall. Its down to personal choice in the end.

Joe.
Old 08-10-15, 13:16
Passionate member

I tested my router firewall usng Gibson shields up. It passed. I then ditched my software firewall as it made no difference.
https://www.grc.com/su-firewalls.htm
Old 08-10-15, 13:18
izzit

Agree in principle - with reservations.

Win 10 is supposedly using a beefed up better tended version of Defender ... it got quite good "real world" reviews recently - it's limitation is that MS are updating it to react to whatever threats are prevalent at the time.

The problem there is that it's not "intelligent" so while something like Kaspersky can adapt ... defender can't.
That said - Avast still gets the best reviews for a freebie.
It's very much down to your habits. If you walk the line - you need bugger guns.

If you don't ... you don't

Do you need a firewall ... yes and no... change the wording to "Do you need a third party firewall" ... I'd say no.
Since Win 7 I consider (and so do most reviewers) that the built in windows firewall is perfectly adequate.

A bought firewall - especially the versions that are part of a security suite - Kaspersky etc will have more bells and whistles, and of course will be integrated into a unified front end.

But with a little effort the win 7, 8 and 10 versions are al perfectly adequate as is ... and with a bit of manual tweaking are equally as versatile and capable.... if not quite as fancy.

Firewalls don't need to be complicated - just solid.

If you use a router ... most security people will tell you that the in-built DHCP server is all you need - unless you're barclays bank - or james bond... the windows server is just an extra layer.
Old 08-10-15, 15:05
Enthusiastic contributor

All Windows versions from Windows XP onwards come with a built in software firewall anyway so it does not matter that the free version of Avast does not include one.
From Windows 8 there is also AV software built in, Windows Defender.

Do you need one, probably not, I never used a firewall prior to Windows XP, nothing untoward happened. However why not use what is there, built in.
Modem/Routers do indeed have a hardware firewall.

You can install a 3rd party Firewall and Antivirus if you wish, the built in ones are then turned off.

In reality it's the user that needs the 'firewall' as that's where most security problems are.
Old 08-10-15, 15:30
Highly valued member

[QUOTE=JACK GOLD;..... but the thing with avast free is the popup offers are annoying so is there a way to stop them.[/QUOTE]

When you say "popup offers" what exactly are you referring to? Do you mean upgrades to the paid version or just the occasional popup in the notifications area about protecting other devices you many have?

Perhaps you installed the wrong version of Avast. The free version is avilable from https://www.avast.com/en-gb/index and is shown on the left of those available.

Prior to Windows 10 I used Avast Free Antivirus along with Comodo Free Firewall but ditched the Comodo Firewall when it caused me a problem, reverting to the inbuilt Windows 10 firewall.

This works perfeclty well and a run at ShieldsUp (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) states:- "Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet...."

No problem with the combination I am using.
Old 08-10-15, 18:46
izzit

Not that it matters to many now - but the XP firewall only blocks outbound traffic...
7 and up blocks in and outbound.... each version has improved over the last.

In a couple of cases the "included" firewall is actually just a set of rules used to configure the windows FW ... a bit of a cheat ... but it shows how effective it is.
Old 08-10-15, 22:56
Top contributor

I've used a firewall since I first had a PC which ran XP Home and I still think that it's necessary to have one. I had NIS and it included a firewall, so I carried on using it when we got laptops running Windows 7. At first, the XP PC still went online so we needed a better firewall for it than the Windows one and NIS was fine. These days now that all of our PCs run Windows 7, I've thought about using the Windows firewall alongside an AV program, but there's no really compelling reason to change.
Old 09-10-15, 16:53
Passionate member

izzit

". . . but the XP firewall only blocks outbound traffic..."

Shouldn't that be XP Firewall only blocks (or attempts to) incoming traffic?
Old 09-10-15, 18:11
izzit

Damn - schoolboy error!! - I was originally going to point out it's inadequacy against bots and say while win 7 does ... xp doesn't ... instead I changed tack - moved the text but didn't edit it ...

Thanks moonshine ... sorry all.