Go Back   Web User Forums > Software > Windows 10 help

Old 02-04-17, 20:25
Enthusiastic contributor

Angry Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.603.0) - Error 0

i have windows 10 pro 64bit and im trying to do windows defender updates yet they are failing to install as i have tried sfc/ scannow which has worked fine. i have tried the troubleshooter to no effect. i have defender turned on and working fine but its just this dam update is stuck. i have tried the cleanup utility. but again nothings working. i have malware-bytes however everything set to off and is not running.

James dyson
Old 02-04-17, 21:02
Top contributor

Default Re: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.603.0) - Err

Will it force the update if you run Windows update? (albeit slower)
Both of my "running" windows 10 PC's are reporting "up to date" on Defender
Both auto update on the settings
Old 02-04-17, 21:07
Top contributor

Default Re: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.603.0) - Err

Is it happening with via both Windows Update & Defender Update ?

or from here >

https://www.microsoft.com/security/p...tions/adl.aspx
Old 03-04-17, 02:45
Top contributor

I have a feeling this is/was? an isolated glitched update for you, what normally happens is the MS server will move on to the next days daily update and the old "bad" data is overwritten so the program keeps up with everyone else .I had one such fail late last year but the following day it updated successfully without intervention by me .I only saw it flagged on the main Windows 10 update log file which keeps up to about a fortnights information on the Downloads and their "Install" status
Bit of detective work for you (Easy) Type(copy paste this) Defender settings into the start menu box and click on the Link with the "Cog"
On the next menu page go down the switches Turning all to OFF except Real-time Protection which is set to re-enable on the next session if turned off?<I suspect this is aligned with the Daily scan and Definitions update
The other Item(to set as "On") is at the foot of the list called Enhanced Notifications This is the Alert flag switch if there is anything bad detected ,Turn It off and Top level alerts are still displayed OK? (so this watches your back quietly)

Bonus for you. Can't copy it to here at the very bottom is all the Version info(for Defender) and the Number as of this date for the Antivirus Definitions was 1239.603.0 and it rises daily so by the time you have checked then it will be a higher number than this OK? The KB 2267602 is Issued daily Might change to a different KB# when the New Windows 10 Creator update rolls out shortly >Windows Defender is getting a big makeover therefore expect to see that settings menu change a lot If you Update Windows 10!
Old 04-04-17, 22:02
Top contributor

The AV version numbering method is a bit erratic Its 24 hrs or so later and the Number is showing as
1239.762 .0
Has that gone through without any hassle?
Old 05-04-17, 10:01
Enthusiastic contributor

You don't need to do anything, Defender definition updates are consolidated after a time anyway so you won't miss anything.

Only if it continues would you need to do something.
Old 12-04-17, 18:16
Top contributor

Arrow Re: Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.239.603.0) - Err

Did anyone notice after the Update the daily definitions updates was merged into the new revised Windows Defender Security Center Settings , there is now no alert, nor Prompt to update ,does it all on the QT Nice! They are logged on the statistics section.